• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks @ Suncorp - 18/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nah, he gave a pretty marginal penalty against McCaw with minutes to go. He also let a few not straights in the lineout go WBs way.

Can't blame the ref tonight. I thought he did alright.
If he's on the wrong side of the margin, it's still a penalty. ;) I thought that one was right. Loitered too long in the way, which precedes Read getting hands on the ball. AND Joubert had warned re same, so he had a hair-trigger, as he did all night. Quick advantages on knock-on calls etc...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Slim. The box kick cost us the match. There is no getting around it. It was a massive mistake.

A relatively easy 3 point penalty kick was turned down for a lineout late in the first half. The Darkness destroyed our driving maul. We went for 7 and came away with nothing. That could have made a difference regardless of the stupid grubber and box kicks.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
In the dying minutes of a match and you are less than 7 in front or less than 7 behind, you maintain possession at all costs.
DO. NOT. KICK. THE. BALL.

Because you don't have to defend for a minute and a half - if the opposition are good enough they can keep the ball alive and in play for minutes.

Did you see the previous possession? Where "maintaining possession" cost us a penalty?

This was a 28 point game. It wasn't a 50 pointer where no one defended. We had to stop them on one possession from a lineout 25m out. If you can't do that, you're gonna lose.

If their final kick to touch had gone out and they had scored on the ensuing lineout, who would you blame then?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Looked like the Wallabies had a simplified game plan tonight. Dare I say, playing whats in front of them.

Watching the highlights now, Fekitoa made a few positional errors. Only to be expected due to his inexperience. Charles Piatau had a great game for a newbie.

While White is getting all the hate, how about the decision to go for 3 after McCaw got penalised> How about kicking for the corner and keeping the Abs in their half? What about Tomane rushing out of the line and leaving the gap for Fekitoa to score?

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Not from what you once counselled me, HJ. As you've noted, BOTH Izzy AND AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) passed the ball at least once each, so no wonder we got a bit close tonight. And I was happy to see Joubert on for the challenge of an us and ABs game; that welsh dipshit could have had the result 100-28.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought the Wallabies deserved to win tonight. It was a great game of rugby and I'm so disappointed.

Couldn't understand the Phipps/White substitution at the time - best game I've ever seen Phipps play. Can't understand how Quade didn't get on with 10 to go.

Wallabies did some great things tonight, but were let down by a few poor options in the last 15 minutes or so (mostly involving poor kicks). Against any other team in the world, you'd probably get away with them, but not the ABs.

Such a shame.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
But in that circumstance, you don't clear it - you must maintain posession. Clearing just gives the ball to the other team.

I disagree, effective clearance would have at least set them back to half way. Instead we were going backwards, had already lost posession once, and were looking incredibly tenuous.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In the past year Boks have beaten them, Aus have drawn, Ire and Aus have both been ahead on the 80th minute mark. In the Summer tour England too only lost by a point in the second test (28-27 wasn't it?) over in Hamilton. Boks almost won there too this year.

This AB team is most certainly beatable, theyre winning games but they're not an unstoppable force smashing every and any team. The thing they have is just an unrivalled ethos and winning mentality that sadly no other international team can match. But team for team they are definately beatable ahead of the RWC.

So it's probably not a great idea to kick the ball back to them with 90 seconds to go when you're ahead by 6 points?:confused:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great effort by the Wallabies. Simply outplayed the ABs except on the scoreboard. And the ABs were not poor - they played as good as the Wallabies allowed them.

In the end, the result was affected by :

- Horwill lying at the back of the ruck (as is his wont) 1m from the tryline that led to the penalty that Smith scored from;

- Box kick by Nic White that gave the ABs possession in an attacking position with only a minute or so remaining;

- Missed tackle by Foley on Fekitoa that allowed him to score the winning try.

Kuridrani again massive in attack and defense. Motm.

Christian Lealiifano outstanding.

Slipper at the top of the tree of props.

Saiaa Faainga playing his best rugby ever.

Scott Fardy best of the loose forwards.

Sam Carter a very good game - better than Big Kev. Simmons/Carter actually matched the much vaunted ABs pair of Retallick and Whitelock.

What's the big announcement about to be made? Is Link going?

Status
Not open for further replies.