• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Another take on JO'Cs decision;

Having seen the rehearsal, JO’C knew there was way he was going to stop McCaw 1 on 1, 5m out and went for the shut-down to wrap up the ball.

Thinking about it, might well have been his highest % option.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thinking about it, might well have been his highest % option.

Been wondering about that meself - there is no way JOC (James O'Connor) would have been able to hold him out in that situation, he doesn't have the size to stop McCaw before the line. Rocky wouldn't get across in time to help, so yeah, go for the glory intercept or slow it down. Worst case we give away a penalty if he pulls it off and gets done for offside.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If it had of been done legally, it would be most likeley that Reid takes the ball off the back and heads for the line, Rocky would of been the tackler on reid but Richie would of been right behind him and the drive would of been on and mostlikely from that distance they were going to get ofer the line. My view was that O'Connor was going in to aid Rocky and to position himself in a manner that he could get under the ball as it went over the line. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but I think that was the thought process behind what he did.

In regards to the try. It should not of been awarded. The key point is that both sides infringed so take your pick on whether to penalise
O'Connor for off side of rocky for detaching early and give the attacking team the penalty. The catch and the injustice is that the All Blacks infringing themselves rightfully killed any chance of being allowed to play advantage. That is my beef with the whole incident.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yes you are right, it shouldn't have been a try.Everyone agrees it shouldn't have been a try.
yes the ref got the tip about a different infringement at the same time & ignored the advice.
The ref made mistakes favouring each side.
Do we really want to go down the Mungo path of freeze framing each decision in a game, and denigrate the ref who makes the call in real time?
I don't.
If you do, then buy a whistle, get off your arse & show him how to do a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.