• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On a different note, if Petaia does come in it will be interesting how he is used and what his work rate is like compared to Koroibete’s. He has so much potential, but he can be prone to sitting on his wing and not getting involved if the ball doesn’t come to him.

Koroibetes workrate is head and shoulders above every other outside back in Australia, it’s ridiculous. Regardless of who replaces him it’s going to be a step down.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree Adam. Bit of Cheika mind games going on which we need to be very wary of.

It's hard to keep track of who is and isn't in the squad these days but Leota was our back up lock a couple of tests ago. He could fill that role again if Philip needed a rest.

I'd consider:

15 Hodge
14 Kellaway
13 Ikitau
12 Kerevi
11 Petaia
10 Cooper
9 White
8 Valetini
7 Hooper
6 Swinton (he was just dropped right? Or was he injured?)
5 Swain
4 Rodda
3 Tupou
2 Fainga'a
1 Bell

16 Kaituu
17 Robertson
18 Pone
19 Leota
20 McMahon
21 McDermott
22 O'Connor
23 Paisami

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It looks as though they plan to have Arnold and Skelton in the squad for the Northern tour so no need to blood a new lock just yet.

That looks pretty close Reg. Not sure if McMahon gets a shirt ahead of Wilson and if Rennie and co are willing to not have Samu on the bench? We need another win to keep the momentum going ahead of the tour.

RuckingGoodTime

Bob McCowan (2)
Our locking options are shaping up very nicely. Haven't missed LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at all. The workrate of Philip and Rodda is a big improvement on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) in my opinion.
Agreed, I've been very impressed with Philip especially. Such a high motor and has been showing off some nice soft hands at the line to facilitate guys hitting soft shoulders off his hip. The penalties aren't great but I also think that's easily coachable and trust Rennie to sort it.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Totally forgot about Paisami until you listed him Reg,

Geez how things change. Coming into the Bledisloe series I think most of us were happy with how Paisami was shaping up, he looked one of the main dangers in the backline, now it looks like he'd be a big step down from what Kerevi is providing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Paisami at 13 late in the game running off Kerevi's hip. It is definitely one of the area's where I think the Wallabies could improve. Too many guys sitting back and watching Kerevi make meters. Samu did it well when he backed up Kerevi a few games ago and they setup that try. I'd like to see Paisami/Kellaway/Koribete doing that more often.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)

Geez how things change. Coming into the Bledisloe series I think most of us were happy with how Paisami was shaping up, he looked one of the main dangers in the backline, now it looks like he'd be a big step down from what Kerevi is providing.

I wouldn't mind seeing Paisami at 13 late in the game running off Kerevi's hip. It is definitely one of the area's where I think the Wallabies could improve. Too many guys sitting back and watching Kerevi make meters. Samu did it well when he backed up Kerevi a few games ago and they setup that try. I'd like to see Paisami/Kellaway/Koribete doing that more often.
Crazy how things changed so quickly. Vs the All Blacks, I'd argue he and Koro were the first two on the team sheets in the backline. To be fair to him though, he is sitting behind the best 12 in the world. Can anyone suggest there's a better 12?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Leave Kerevi and and Len together, they've been getting each week.

If Kerevi get's a release to go to Europe, I would say Hunter will be staying home. It's a bit rough to be away from your newborn for 2-3 months.

Only change I'd make is for game management reasons. I'd be keen to see what our team would look like sans Hooper as there's a chance in the future he's out for injury reasons.. So either Pete Samu, McMahon or McRight should start at 7.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Biggest difference between the two is the decision making. Took Kerevi until now, basically, to consistently make good decisions. He was always dangerous otherwise.

Similarly, Paisami is clearly a dangerous player but his choices are questionable a lot of the time.

Its just an experience thing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Personally I'd like to be happy enough if Hooper sat on the bench for a rest (with a break glass in case of a emergency approach). Give McMahon a run at 7. I'd otherwise keep things as they are.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Biggest difference between the two is the decision making. Took Kerevi until now, basically, to consistently make good decisions. He was always dangerous otherwise.

Similarly, Paisami is clearly a dangerous player but his choices are questionable a lot of the time.

Its just an experience thing.

Agreed,

The other main difference for mine is that Paisami needed to add a few strings to his bow in order to be consistently effective. He's built a decent short kicking game and his passing has improved. Those skills will also both improve with better decision making.

Kerevi has the luxury of being able to play the same style game for 90% of the match, and still be effective.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agreed,

The other main difference for mine is that Paisami needed to add a few strings to his bow in order to be consistently effective. He's built a decent short kicking game and his passing has improved. Those skills will also both improve with better decision making.

Kerevi has the luxury of being able to play the same style game for 90% of the match, and still be effective.

Paisami also needed to sit as a second fly in order too bolster Lolo. Kerevi doesn't have that problem and Paisami may have benefited from Quade as well.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The captaincy seems a bit inconsequential in terms of game management (although interesting to see who gets it nonetheless). Cooper, White, Kerevi, and JOC (James O'Connor) will be the ones directing the team. Philip and Slipper will be rallying the forwards.

Nice that there is a little leadership group now, seems like Hooper is a lot better when he can lean on the likes of Quade.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can’t see any chance of Hooper getting rested.

Hooper won’t be rested unless he actually needs it - and that seems unlikely given Hooper’s durability. Maybe against Japan, but there is no way Rennie is going to take even the slightest risk of losing this game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can’t see any chance of Hooper getting rested.

Hooper won’t be rested unless he actually needs it - and that seems unlikely given Hooper’s durability. Maybe against Japan, but there is no way Rennie is going to take even the slightest risk of losing this game.

Agreed. I also don't think Rennie and RA are going to take away opportunities to build on his test record as our most capped captain and chasing Gregan's Australian record for most caps just for the sake of giving a younger guy a go.

We've got this weekend and then 3 weeks until Japan, then 2 weeks before Scotland, England and Wales. I'd be surprised if Hooper doesn't play all those tests.

Reactions: SDR

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
agree Adam. Bit of Cheika mind games going on which we need to be very wary of.

It's hard to keep track of who is and isn't in the squad these days but Leota was our back up lock a couple of tests ago. He could fill that role again if Philip needed a rest.

I'd consider:

15 Hodge
14 Kellaway
13 Ikitau
12 Kerevi
11 Petaia
10 Cooper
9 White
8 Valetini
7 Hooper
6 Swinton (he was just dropped right? Or was he injured?)
5 Swain
4 Rodda
3 Tupou
2 Fainga'a
1 Bell

16 Kaituu
17 Robertson
18 Pone
19 Leota
20 McMahon
21 McDermott
22 O'Connor
23 Paisami
Now we’re talking. If this is McMahon’s only and last game, I’d give him a start. Worst case pull Swinton in early.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Small chance this game might be played without a crowd with the Covid cases in Brisbane. NRL looking at shifting GF to Townsville. Doubt they’ll support 2 rugby tests on the pitch the day beige before the NRL GF though.