• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think indeed the bigger concern is Jordy being so injury prone.
Totally agree. It’s also the fact he feels he needs to do something extraordinary with every touch. In his last outing Wright was guilty of the same. Tonight he chose his moments, which was better for him and the team. Kerevi has improved because he doesn’t try and do it all himself all the time. Tonight los pumas did their best to shut him down, which created more space for the rest of the team. If Petaia can keep out of the sick bay, play a whole season and add a degree of subtlety to his game he will be amazing. As it stands he’s still pretty bloody good.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
What was going on at the end with FF (Folau Fainga'a) at hooker and Lonergan at flanker? I had some crappy internet signal and missed bits of the game...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Must have been watching a different game as I thought Petaia was very good and don’t get why you would put Wright ahead of him on that game
Runs: K: 11; P: 6
Run m: K: 91; P: 68
Passes: K: 5; P: 8
Clean Breaks: K: 3; P: 1
Defenders beaten: K: 8; P: 3
Tackles: K: 2; P: 2
Tackles missed: K: 1; P: 0
Turnovers conceded: K: 1; P:1

You'd need different metric to compare Wright given time on the field but I'd say all three look promising. I don't place Petaia far behind Kellaway (who I like a lot), if at all, and agree with Rennie's apparent assessment putting Wright behind Petaia.

It isn't really apples for apples though. Both Kellaway and Wright really will compete over similar placement in the squad - Kellaway will be selected over Wright at this stage. Petaia is one of those players whose skillsets means they may try to find a place for him in the 23 somewhere, but where it is may well depend on how his reliability is going and where the strengths/weaknesses lie in the back line. With Koroibete available it probably means Petaia wears 22. When he (Koroibete) is out he (Petaia) may well start at wing ahead of Wright, pretty much every time. And of course the discussion changes should Petaia get a shot at FB.

Petaia easily showed last night why he is considered like that. Trying to dismiss him by a single metric "Kellaway > Wright > Petaia" is one dimensional.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I have always supported Petaia on his journey and hoped that his control of the game (and ball) would improve. There is a big question mark over timing for this to happen focusing on injury and brain fart moments. There is no question that he can be dynamic but what is the right balance between this and costing the team penalties and lost opportunities. Who is on the horizon to cover centre and wing that has more of a playing style like Kellaway?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In saying that I think O’Connor’s style is pretty good to bring on late in the game. As soon as he is there he starts running at the line and working runners off him. Wasn’t creating as much width but was putting pressure on the defence.

His injection did coincided with the period where the Wallabies lost their shape a bit so, as 10, that is a big part of his role but I do think there were a few other contributing factors there.

I think it Cooper keeps playing like this he is head and shoulders our 10, but O’Connor could be very handy off the bench late in either the 10 or 12 role.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty certain Petaia started as a left winger, but played mostly on the right this year.

Petaia was still a bit careless with the ball. He just needs to reign it in a bit. I thought Wright did pretty well and I was happy to see that. But I think one thing being overlooked in your critique is that Petaia is a much better defender than Wright.

Regardless of which side they play, I do feel Wright is more comparable to Kellaway. I think Kellaway showed tonight that the winger/fullback type player doesn’t have to play on the right.
My take from yesterday is that Petaia is essentially a 13/winger while Wright looked a lot more comfortable at 15. TW injected into the backline and showed an ability to distribute to players outside, while JP has very suspect handling and distribution abilities. If either one is to be regarded as an option or backup at 15, then imo Tom suits that spot a whole lot better than Jordan.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Runs: K: 11; P: 6
Run m: K: 91; P: 68
Passes: K: 5; P: 8
Clean Breaks: K: 3; P: 1
Defenders beaten: K: 8; P: 3
Tackles: K: 2; P: 2
Tackles missed: K: 1; P: 0
Turnovers conceded: K: 1; P:1

You'd need different metric to compare Wright given time on the field but I'd say all three look promising. I don't place Petaia far behind Kellaway (who I like a lot), if at all, and agree with Rennie's apparent assessment putting Wright behind Petaia.

It isn't really apples for apples though. Both Kellaway and Wright really will compete over similar placement in the squad - Kellaway will be selected over Wright at this stage. Petaia is one of those players whose skillsets means they may try to find a place for him in the 23 somewhere, but where it is may well depend on how his reliability is going and where the strengths/weaknesses lie in the back line. With Koroibete available it probably means Petaia wears 22. When he (Koroibete) is out he (Petaia) may well start at wing ahead of Wright, pretty much every time. And of course the discussion changes should Petaia get a shot at FB.

Petaia easily showed last night why he is considered like that. Trying to dismiss him by a single metric "Kellaway > Wright > Petaia" is one dimensional.
Yep and really what we should be focused on is all 3 did well which is pleasing for some depth of quality in wing stocks.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Once again similar to last week, we all have quite short memories to a month ago when we were getting spanked.

We scored 5 tries to zip in the first 60, an absolute smashing. Then took the foot off the gas when we had a 20 year old bench hooker playing flanker. Really Quade's goal kicking kept that scoreline looking not miserable for the Argies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
A poster who puts forward a preferred Wallabies side that contained no Brumbies at all (maybe one on the bench)? Pretty fair indication of his mind set I'd say.
Must have missed that one
That’s me he’s referring to and it wasn’t a preferred Wallabies side. It was 2020 and it was the team of the year based on the team of the week voting throughout the super rugby season. It wasn’t my fault that Brumbies players got fuck all votes but it seems like something BR will never get over. Ironically I think it was Tom Wright as the sole Brumbies representative.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My take from yesterday is that Petaia is essentially a 13/winger while Wright looked a lot more comfortable at 15. TW injected into the backline and showed an ability to distribute to players outside, while JP has very suspect handling and distribution abilities. If either one is to be regarded as an option or backup at 15, then imo Tom suits that spot a whole lot better than Jordan.

Wright came on at 52min, the game ran to 84 min giving him 32 mins. 3 passes for 32 min is one per 10 min 40s.

Petaia came off at 68 mins for 8 passes giving us one per 8min 30s. Even when you claim Wright has (or made) more opportunity to make a pass.

Petaia had a quiet night for him regarding offloads but still got one away to Wright's nil.

Both players are a work under development but each is not a direct comparison. Wright does not seem to have a ceiling anywhere near as high as Petaia and is not out-playing him on any metric currently. Give the bloke time to build, he's already getting his chances. Can only agree with you that Petai needs to improve. 100%. But Wright doesn't touch him at the moment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I watched the game again this morning.

Petaia needs to reign in some of the offloads. But on the whole I thought he was actually pretty good. His work rate was excellent which is somewhere I think he has been found wanting in the past.

I don’t really have much of an opinion on Petaia at fullback at this stage because I haven’t seen him play there. I think he would take some really good attributes to the role - but he still looks a natural 13 to me. But I guess he doesn’t see it that way.

I am repeating an earlier point, but one think that I think gets ignored a lot with Petaia is his defence. Which I find ironic when comparing with Tom Wright.

Wright is normally very confident and does well in attack. But he isn’t the most reliable defender.

Petaia has been a bit hit and miss in attack. But is generally still excellent in defence. Maybe he would get found out on position at fullback - but he seems to generally position himself well.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I seem to be the odd one out here too on Petaia. I thought he was quite destructive with the ball in hand. Did a lot of good last night. Also has that aerial ability that Koroibete doesn't which permitted Quade to do some of those beautiful cross field kicks.
I think I'm dreaming of how damaging he could be if/when his style melds more with the players around him. Lots of those hop goose steps on the diagonal, looking for the Hollywood back of hand pass. They're gravy when they stick but probably shouldn't be the main play.

Watching Kellaway perform has been vindication for quite a few of the Rebels rusted-ons at GAGR. Really in the Drew Mitchell mold: balanced on feet, quick and powerful enough, accurate and smart. Goes to show you don't have to be a physical specimen like Koroibete or Savea to be effective on the wing.

Last edited: