• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
In looking at the length of time it took to put both Homes and McMahon on the bench and to bring in Cooper (and some comments from Rennie I cant be bothered finding) it would appear that it is not just a case of best player slots in. It would appear that until you can demonstrate to the coaching team that you understand the game plan, and can do the technical work (particularly maul) in the way they want you don't get a gig. Looks to me like a coach who wants the best team out there rather than the best 23. Very different to the Cheika era of best 23 and hope they do something.

It makes me wonder how many games the European based players will actually get on the tour if they don't get into camp until the week before the first game

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks to me like a coach who wants the best team out there rather than the best 23. Very different to the Cheika era of best 23 and hope they do something.
I just heard the guys on the Rugby Fixation podcast say exactly the same thing on their pod released last night.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Five Brumbies forwards starting and One on the bench, I wonder if this has something to do with the current Wallbaies forwards coach,

Not sure how does Swain start above Phillips and Lonegan on the bench before Kauit'u.

Great story though having Holmes back on the bench, alround nice guy and givebn so much to Australian rugby over the years.

Have not checked the ages but this could be the oldest average aged team for a while that we have put out.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Should I change it to Tasesa?
giphy.gif

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Holmes over Robertson doesn't make much sense to me. I like both players, but Robertson did a fair job over the last two weeks. He could be a regular in the squad in future years as a prop that can play both sides.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Particular congrats to Holmes and McMahon. Like Quade, blasting from the past. Service beyond the bounds of duty, guys.

I like Gordon getting another window.

Kellaway to 11 is interesting. As good as he has been he is not Koroibete and the nature of the game will surely change. Maybe he can manage those busting runs from the sideline to run decoy can work, as long as he is indeed switched into the game plan. Doing the tackle busting stuff with it is possible another story. Good luck to the guy.

Surprised that Slipper starts, he looked rusty last week.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Five Brumbies forwards starting and One on the bench, I wonder if this has something to do with the current Wallbaies forwards coach,

Not sure how does Swain start above Phillips and Lonegan on the bench before Kauit'u.

Great story though having Holmes back on the bench, alround nice guy and givebn so much to Australian rugby over the years.

Have not checked the ages but this could be the oldest average aged team for a while that we have put out.
Considering that we’ve been winning, what’s your point?

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Particular congrats to Holmes and McMahon. Like Quade, blasting from the past. Service beyond the bounds of duty, guys.

I like Gordon getting another window.

Kellaway to 11 is interesting. As good as he has been he is not Koroibete and the nature of the game will surely change. Maybe he can manage those busting runs from the sideline to run decoy can work, as long as he is indeed switched into the game plan. Doing the tackle busting stuff with it is possible another story. Good luck to the guy.

Surprised that Slipper starts, he looked rusty last week.
Yeah, the obvious option was for Petaia to play blindside winger and try to bust a few tackles. It'll be interesting to see how they play.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holmes over Robertson doesn't make much sense to me. I like both players, but Robertson did a fair job over the last two weeks. He could be a regular in the squad in future years as a prop that can play both sides.
Don't think it's too wild.

If you had to pick Robertsons 'rank' it would be:

4th behind Slipper, Bell and Sio at LHP
4th behind Tupou, Ala'alatoa and Faamausili at THP - anddd maybe even Holmes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, the obvious option was for Petaia to play blindside winger and try to bust a few tackles. It'll be interesting to see how they play.

That's the way I read it. More faith in Kellaway running that extreme distance hard work and giving Petaia a shot in the back three. Got to put my best wishes out there to Kellaway on the blind. It's a big ask.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That's the way I read it. More faith in Kellaway running that extreme distance hard work and giving Petaia a shot in the back three. Got to put my best wishes out there to Kellaway on the blind. It's a big ask.
As a proud member of the front row club, what's the difference? Much more ground to cover? Are there stereotypical body types for each side of the wing?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
As a proud member of the front row club, what's the difference? Much more ground to cover? Are there stereotypical body types for each side of the wing?

It's the way we've been using Koroibete. He is on the blind side wing. So the ball passes out on the other side of the field (mostly). He does that Digbe style thing coming in looking for work in traffic and trying to get off the hip of Quade. Or White. But that's in traffic and you need to be able to bust bodies.

He has also been doing this thing, as the ball passes out the back line (away to his opposite sideline) and he SPRINTS behind the back line as fast as ball is moving (getting the opposition attention). He either makes up the extra man, after a shed load of work, or has confused the opposition D who line him up. Making space for someone else. The work load is huge.

Kellaway is open side. Playing the back three and only has to come in to the centres to look for work. Mostly it is using guile and speed when the ball approaches.

(At least the way we are playing) two very different roles. Both need speed. Both have an advantage with physical mass and tackle busting but only one actually requires it. 11, not 14.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I took it more injest. Although, I do find it frustrating to see Folau "Shin Breaker" Fainga'a starting and LL on the bench who was brutally bullied by the All Blacks.
He seems to have cleaned up the shin breaking for now. His work around the park has been a fair way above the other options. Puts a lot of work in, both in attack and defence and he’s featured in the lead up to a number of tries we’ve scored in the TRC.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Not really - but there is with the way we have been playing. So either some plays change, or Kellaway steps up.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He seems to have cleaned up the shin breaking for now. His work around the park has been a fair way above the other options. Puts a lot of work in, both in attack and defence and he’s featured in the lead up to a number of tries we’ve scored in the TRC.

Cleaned it up? As in, he didn't get carded for one game? Low bar you have Merrow!

Give us a season or two of not doing stupid shit and I'd agree his reformed.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Aw we'll be right fellas. Once Tom Wright comes on and shows that X-Factor we've been DESPERATELY MISSING it'll be a 100 point thrashing.

/vomit