• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sad for Leota, but can’t be giving caps for feel good stories. Happy there’s genuine competition for number 6.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Koro is a massive loss, he has been our best back by miles for a couple of years, not sure where that angry go forward is going to come from or those jarring tackles ..........................

Samu/McMahon will have workrate, but we were looking to be more "forceful" at the around the breakdown in defence and attack - not this week, but we will have better link/running ground game

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Right now I think there is much to feel upbeat about. For the first time in about 3 to 4 years, your coach is making decisions that are NOT about plugging holes and chasing a win to stop the bleeding.

The selections are all driven by a CLEAR question:
What if both TH props are cooked? Who do we start? Is Holmes still up for it (never will I start Robertson at 3 in a test. Bench, fine)
Will Swain keep showing improvement and that he continues to learn quickly?
Will the Swain / Rodda combo work?
Who is our lock-in selection at Blindside? Still looking. So we have to try things now. Leota showed potential. Let's see how Samy goes and if McMahon is still up for it.
What if Koirobete goes down for a few weeks? How will that chnage how we play. Better test it now.
Can Kellaway or Wright deputize at 15 so we can balance our bench? Not tested yet. Let's see.
and so on

The only one I don't quite follow is at 9.

You have to say these questions are a damn sight better than "Oh fark what do we do next week?"

McMahon is one HELL of a footballer. Machine. Was a genuine loss when he legged it. Still young. Saw him live in Japan twice a couple of years ago and thought fark, what an incredible loss to the Wobs. He put on some size but never lost any pace. I think he could be a revelation. Absolute world-class player for mine.

I am looking forward to the EOYT.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As a proud member of the front row club, what's the difference? Much more ground to cover? Are there stereotypical body types for each side of the wing?
Modern teams have been sticking their strike winger on at 11 and their fullback hybrid at 14. No strict requirement for it to be done this way though and there are plenty who vary it.

Strike winger = raw pace and power who can finish reliably in the corner or carry into traffic on an inside ball. Typically less refined, less of a kicking or distribution game (Rioane v Bun Smuth).

Dru covers how we've been using MK pretty well (or, perhaps more accurately, what MK has been doing - seems he's got a pretty loose leash).

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Koro is a massive loss, he has been our best back by miles for a couple of years, not sure where that angry go forward is going to come from or those jarring tackles ..........................

Samu/McMahon will have workrate, but we were looking to be more "forceful" at the around the breakdown in defence and attack - not this week, but we will have better link/running ground game
Agree Koro will leave a big hole work rate wise . People use to give Hooper a hard time about playing like an extra centre ( now thankfully not the case) , with Koro you get a winger playing like an extra back rower who still manages to do all the wing stuff as well.

Think the back row balance is quite good . Need the work rate of Samu and McMahon without Koro there. Still have the go forward of Kerevi , Valetini and Toupo as ball runners and the locks plus Slipper have been good doing the grunt work in the middle.

Will be interesting out of Kellaway, Petaia and Wright as to who gets a crack at 15 at the back end of the game.

Whilst not as busy as Koro, thought Kellaway was great last week looking for extra touches . Positionly he was very good.

Hard to know what to take from Tate’s omission, but he did probably overplay his running game when he came on. Thought the pace of general play did pick up though when he came on . Maybe he preempted gaps that weren’t there?

Anyway , options are a good problem to have .

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Agree Koro will leave a big hole work rate wise . People use to give Hooper a hard time about playing like an extra centre ( now thankfully not the case) , with Koro you get a winger playing like an extra back rower who still manages to do all the wing stuff as well.

Think the back row balance is quite good . Need the work rate of Samu and McMahon without Koro there. Still have the go forward of Kerevi , Valetini and Toupo as ball runners and the locks plus Slipper have been good doing the grunt work in the middle.

Will be interesting out of Kellaway, Petaia and Wright as to who gets a crack at 15 at the back end of the game.

Whilst not as busy as Koro, thought Kellaway was great last week looking for extra touches . Positionly he was very good.

Hard to know what to take from Tate’s omission, but he did probably overplayed his running game when he came on. Thought the pace of general play did pick up though when he came on . Maybe he preempted gaps that weren’t there?

Anyway , options are a good problem to have .

I guess my statement that Koroibete, Digbe style was on Quade's hip. And that isn't right. What he's doing is tracking Kerevi, through traffic, taking the offload if it's on, and being loose forward like, first defending ruckman, if the ball isn't available. It's been awesome. Tough call on Kellaway.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Looks like we're so used to putting out our 'best' team every week that when our coaches pick players for squad development, we freak out and ask the inevitable question. What did they drop such and such for? Well, this is what development looks like.
With all due respect to all our national coaches through the years, we finally seem to have found a mature, well-balanced, hard working, and intelligent coach.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's the way we've been using Koroibete. He is on the blind side wing. So the ball passes out on the other side of the field (mostly). He does that Digbe style thing coming in looking for work in traffic and trying to get off the hip of Quade. Or White. But that's in traffic and you need to be able to bust bodies.

He has also been doing this thing, as the ball passes out the back line (away to his opposite sideline) and he SPRINTS behind the back line as fast as ball is moving (getting the opposition attention). He either makes up the extra man, after a shed load of work, or has confused the opposition D who line him up. Making space for someone else. The work load is huge.

Kellaway is open side. Playing the back three and only has to come in to the centres to look for work. Mostly it is using guile and speed when the ball approaches.

(At least the way we are playing) two very different roles. Both need speed. Both have an advantage with physical mass and tackle busting but only one actually requires it. 11, not 14.
Ah, Dru. I do believe you have (inadvertently?) found the reason we have been having so many issues with our backline play. If the left wing is predominantly the blind side, then most backline moves must be out towards the right side. But how many posters here have identified that Tate, Nic, Noah, et al can't pass effectively left to right? Maybe they should try going the other way?

Truthfully, I reckon the play goes predominantly the way there is more space available and over time probably equates to 50% to the right and 50% to the left.

• Haha
Reactions: dru

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Don't think it's too wild.

If you had to pick Robertsons 'rank' it would be:

4th behind Slipper, Bell and Sio at LHP
4th behind Tupou, Ala'alatoa and Faamausili at THP - anddd maybe even Holmes.
Holmes will probably be on for only a fairly short period of time. His strength is that he's a very good scrummager, but wouldn't last too long.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Good on Greg Holmes for making it another cap at his age, but to what end? If we're unhappy with our current props, we should be blooding new ones. It's not as if Holmes is going to be in the next World Cup. Isn't Pone Fa'amausili worth a try?
Hell, I'd rather just let Harry Johnson Holmes have a crack at it. At least he's eager.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good on Greg Holmes for making it another cap at his age, but to what end? If we're unhappy with our current props, we should be blooding new ones. It's not as if Holmes is going to be in the next World Cup. Isn't Pone Fa'amausili worth a try?
Hell, I'd rather just let Harry Johnson Holmes have a crack at it. At least he's eager.
I believe Pone is injured.

Who else is there? HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is locked down.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) probably deemed not up to it...plus in NSW, whereas Holmes joined them in WA.

Pone injured and Ala'alatoa not available.

Noone else worth 'blooding', which btw, Rennie doesn't like to do willy nilly.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Another great team selection - sticking with combinations that are working well and also trying some different things in preparation for the spring tour. Another good job by Rennie and co

Another great return, Holmes has always been a favourite of mine, looking forward to seeing him in Orange (sigh - when will they change that colour back to gold...)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ah, Dru. I do believe you have (inadvertently?) found the reason we have been having so many issues with our backline play. If the left wing is predominantly the blind side, then most backline moves must be out towards the right side. But how many posters here have identified that Tate, Nic, Noah, et al can't pass effectively left to right? Maybe they should try going the other way?

Truthfully, I reckon the play goes predominantly the way there is more space available and over time probably equates to 50% to the right and 50% to the left.

You don't think that Left wing is blind wing more often than not? If I have it wrong let me know, always learning. My understanding calling 11 left wing is as correct as calling 11 blind wing.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I just don’t think that is how is being looked at. From what I’ve heard from Rennie, if they are going to rest or rotate out one of these starters then Samu would be behind guys like Wilson, Swinton & McReight. But as a bench player his utility value and his style of play makes him ideal. The other three are either starters or out of the 23. Not sure where McMahon fits in that.
Well…. So much for this