• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yet his team did very well with him and apparently he was a large part of that. In rugby which is generally very forward and set-piece oriented. He's probably not as much of a liability and some seem to think. Anyway, maybe we'll see. Arnold is pretty enticing as a prospect on the tour.
Absolutely. Im entirely on board getting both involved.

Skelton's success in Europe speaks for itself.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yet his team did very well with him and apparently he was a large part of that. In rugby which is generally very forward and set-piece oriented. He's probably not as much of a liability and some seem to think. Anyway, maybe we'll see. Arnold is pretty enticing as a prospect on the tour.

I understood that French teams generally expect their loose forwards to jump rather than the locks. It is an option that is fine - if (obviously) it is an option.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That’s me he’s referring to and it wasn’t a preferred Wallabies side. It was 2020 and it was the team of the year based on the team of the week voting throughout the super rugby season. It wasn’t my fault that Brumbies players got fuck all votes but it seems like something BR will never get over. Ironically I think it was Tom Wright as the sole Brumbies representative.
Hmmm. Post #3360 of 17 September 2021 on the Wallabies 2021 thread. Nothing at all about the POTY.

"I’m pretty sure we will see an experimental side rolled out against Argentina for one of the games - by experimental I don’t mean stacked full of fringe players, I mean one to test if it works better than the incumbents. A 2023 trial if you like. Something like this:

1. Bell
2. Kaituu
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. McMahon
9. McDermott
10. O’Connor
11. Koribete
12. Kerevi
13. Perese
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway"

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hmmm. Post #3360 of 17 September 2021 on the Wallabies 2021 thread. Nothing at all about the POTY.

"I’m pretty sure we will see an experimental side rolled out against Argentina for one of the games - by experimental I don’t mean stacked full of fringe players, I mean one to test if it works better than the incumbents. A 2023 trial if you like. Something like this:

1. Bell
2. Kaituu
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. McMahon
9. McDermott
10. O’Connor
11. Koribete
12. Kerevi
13. Perese
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway"
Quality team i like it

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

1. Bell
2. Kaituu
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. McMahon
9. McDermott
10. O’Connor
11. Koribete
12. Kerevi
13. Perese
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway"
You know what, when I typed in that team I didn’t even notice there weren’t any Brumbies in it. I made it clear what the intent of that team was, it still is not a preferred Wallabies side, and I was wrong about the concept anyway.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fair enough DCTarget.

I’ll definitely concede LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasn’t grabbed the jersey and made it his own. But I’m just personally not sure why he would be below the three first ones at least (and I still struggle to see how Skelton would fit in the balance of the current pack with a complete change in the backrow).

I think all of Philip, Rodda & Swain are doing some great things, but all three are more limited.

Philip is a workhorse, but very one dimensional. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s not like he smashes teams apart either. He’s struggling in the lineout. I’ll admit I think he is a bit overrated because he is the style of player people love to watch, but I don’t think he’s actually that effective. I’m sure he’d run into a wall of Rennie told him too. Probably 20 times. But at the end of the day all you end up with a guy with 20 brave carries and a wall that’s still intact.

Rodda is a great line out operator and has a great work rate. He was previously a prolific carrier, but his current role is far more about securing the break down. Neither as dynamic in attack or strong in defence as Salakai-Loto. IMO he will be one of our locks unless Swain pushes him out, and will be the foil to Arnold/Philip/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Skelton

Swain - I think competes with Rodda. I know they started together on Saturday, but I don’t see him as a heavy carrying lock. Salakai-Loto is more athletic and dynamic. Definitely a young, angry man on the rise though which is great to see.

Arnold - the most likely threat and definitely in front of Salakai-Loto at present. Doesn’t have Salakai-Lotos athleticism but is a better line out operator and is bringing more to the table through sheer size and physicality. In simple terms he is delivering, whereas Salakai-Loto is not delivering to the level that I think (hope) he eventually will.

Skelton - the most punishing of all of our locks, but I wonder if the emergence of Valetini creates an issue for his involvement. I’m happy to reserve judgement untill I see him on the European tour

I read this enough to know a lot of others here don’t rate LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) like I do. No question that there is currently a gap between how he is playing and how I am suggesting he could be playing. But, for what it’s worth I would definitely take him ahead of Philip & Swain.
Personally I think young Nick Frost has the size athleticism and talent to be better then all these guys, still young but an absolute stud.