• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Don't forget the skill of picking up a bobbling ball as your scrum is going backwards. I hope that doesn't happen though.

Yes, I guess I should have just said 'controlling the ball at the back of the scrum'. That requisite comes in a lot of unpredictable forms!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hilarious. None of those aforementioned are ready or even good enough for test rugby. How about they earn the chance to get capped rather than being given a run because they show some promise.

Exactly! They need to earn a spot first. Perform at super xv first then you can get game time with the wallabies. I don't think any of those guys apart from maybe Holloway (and that's only been one season) are clear standouts in super xv.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You sound ready to resign Pocock if McMahon makes more metres. I am sure I don't need to tell you comparing two players on a sole metric, over 2 games, without any real clue as to the instructions given by the coaching staff is ludicrous.

No not at all but are you saying Pococks instructions include not making many metres in attack - ludicrous. How many turnovers did Poey get last week ????

YOU may think Pocock is the greatest thing alive but his Super form and last test match form have not lived up to his reputation.

I've continually said Poey is the best 7 around (including Gill Hooper McMahon) - he is not an 8 and actually doesn't perform THAT traditional role to anywhere near the same standard he would perform at 7.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Gents,
I will be a first time attendee at AAMI Park on Saturday night.
So just wondering if anyone can confirm if they sell full strength beer in any of the publicly accessible beers or is it a mid-strength only venue?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Full strength for afternoon matches, middies after 6pm (or something like that).

A bunch of Kiwi grandpas taking the kids to a Rebels match taught me that it's wiser to sneak in a couple tinnies, preferably in the baby's pram.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So, in that case, we stick with a side that has lost two tests to England and which contains a handful of players who won't or probably won't make it through the next couple of years nor to the RWC. Just when in your fantasy world do you start to look at new players? BTW, Cottrell and Coleman have each had two or more years at Super Rugby level, Ready is ready, and Nabuli is definitely in Cheika's sights. I agree that Holloway is the choice of those I listed, but they all in one way or another have put themselves in the picture for higher honours.

All this is academic if the Wallabies win in Melbourne, of course.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No not at all but are you saying Pococks instructions include not making many metres in attack - ludicrous. How many turnovers did Poey get last week ????

YOU may think Pocock is the greatest thing alive but his Super form and last test match form have not lived up to his reputation.

I've continually said Poey is the best 7 around (including Gill Hooper McMahon) - he is not an 8 and actually doesn't perform THAT traditional role to anywhere near the same standard he would perform at 7.

That's because Hooper performs that role around the park, of a traditional 8. Poey is still the seven around the park. Set-piece and the numbers on the back are the only difference. Can't believe people still haven't worked this out.

Although I agree his form wasn't his usual dominating self. But I think he still made 2 turnovers and tackled like a madman.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't really get the suggestion of Cottrell any more.

He burst onto the scene playing some fantastic rugby a couple of years ago before he broke his leg but I don't think he's got close to that since.

He's struggled to cement himself as a starting XV player for the Force this year.

He's miles off Wallaby selection right now even if you were picking a side with a very strong nod to the future.

He's 26 already. There's a real chance that he'll never really be a consistent Wallaby player at any point because younger players will pass him.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Oh Scrubber, I said none of those things and you know it. You are the spin king.

Pocock had a quiet game compared with his regular efforts. Everyone is allowed quiet games. He was still very solid and never let the side down.

Yet to hear you suggest why McMahon is more a traditional 8.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Oh Scrubber, I said none of those things and you know it. You are the spin king.

Pocock had a quiet game compared with his regular efforts. Everyone is allowed quiet games. He was still very solid and never let the side down.

I don't !!!!!!!

Personally I would have gone for McCalman at 8 and Hooper at 7.

We, that is, Chek seems to be set on the 2 x 7's selection.

I just think it doesn't work as well as RWC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks like every man and his dog have taken the field for the captain's run so no real insight into what the bench might look like yet.

I wonder if England announcing a 6:2 bench will increase the likelihood of Cheika doing the same?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't !!!!!!!

I agree McMahon wouldn't be my 8 and I don't think anyone here that posted a team had him at 8.

Pocock was huge at the RWC so I am not prepared to move on from him at 8 after one game. Of all the 7 options he is definitely most suited. Until we get an 8 good enough to push Poey or Hooper it will be the best option. Both are a class above the current 8's and McMahon.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Good to read George Smith's comments re him not playing for the Wallabies again, in this morning's G&GR email.
The role of player/'assistant coach'?/mentor here at the Reds next year should keep him "occupied"!

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't really get the suggestion of Cottrell any more.

He burst onto the scene playing some fantastic rugby a couple of years ago before he broke his leg but I don't think he's got close to that since.

He's struggled to cement himself as a starting XV player for the Force this year.

He's miles off Wallaby selection right now even if you were picking a side with a very strong nod to the future.

He's 26 already. There's a real chance that he'll never really be a consistent Wallaby player at any point because younger players will pass him.

I think (as with Godwin) that he added some bulk to compete with the big boppers and because of that he has lost some of his dynamism, particularly with ball in hand. He has then sustained knee/leg injuries which can be a consequence of extra bulk on a physique not made for it.

Can't recall him ever playing a full game this season and stander has kept him out of the team. He's a long way off a gold jumper at this stage. Most likely if things continue on as is for him he will looking at japan or europe for a payday come 2018.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I cant believe this is Slippers 76th cap. And I still don't think he's peaked as a player yet. Well done to him.

An important factor favoring Slipper is that last year he was carrying injuries which affected his game.
He has said recently that he felt he was playing much better this year after his fit out.
I wonder if Sio would have overtaken him last year if he'd been 100%?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't !!!!!!!

I don't think McMahon is a really another seven though. He plays no-way like a tradition seven does. I think choosing him reflects a change in strategy - if Cheika wanted a like-for-like replacement he would have gone with Gill.

I would have gone for the traditional set-up too in McCalman 8, Hooper 7. This is a completely new set-up with McMahon - a double hybrid?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
An important factor favoring Slipper is that last year he was carrying injuries which affected his game.
He has said recently that he felt he was playing much better this year after his fit out.
I wonder if Sio would have overtaken him last year if he'd been 100%?

I was surprised Slipper didn't get the nod before him in game 1 actually - given super xv form. Thought Sio has been average all year.

Sio must have been rewarded for his RWC form, unfortunately scrum let him down.

Sio at his best Verse Slipper at his best - that is a tough tough call, I'd probably go with Sio for his blockbusting runs - but then again it could be Brumbies bias creeping in.

Status
Not open for further replies.