• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If he left because of Graham, he would have taken the Rebels contract would be a good guess.

I don't think the Rebels offered him a contract this year. Also I remember speculation that he was told Graham was gone @ the end of last year, so he signed, then the board decided to retain Graham, which caused Gilly to sign the Toulon contract.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Utter rubbish in attack pretty much all night - no clues, no nuance, no subtlety, no sleight of hand, no plan, no composure. Admittedly, the England defence was immense, but I can scarcely remember ab Australian team so bereft of ideas. Phipps again left on way too long, and was sloppy throughout; Foley looked lost; Kerevi threatened; Kuridrani innocuous, Horne defended well and that's about it, DHP some good, some bad. As for our forward runners, way too many loose carries and really no impact from many of them.
But where to go? Where do the ideas come from? Not Larkham.
A rethink is needed re the tactics at all levels - the "Pooper" style 7/8 works with one specific combo. Otherwise, it needs another option.
And our tactical and general from hand kicking was awful tonight from all players, although amazingly Phipps made a couple of decent box kicks.
So fucking blah!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
And for everyone saying what a performance England made, just think how little they attacked, or really did. All they did was kick high balls and kick to the corners, defend well. VERY SIMPLE.

We can be beaten so easily or the opposition team needs to do is kick well.

Yes and No Sev. We have had our own famous victories built on defense. This is one for them.

Test match rugby

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Did we chip even once behind the defensive line to keep them honest? I don't recall it.

I said it early that we needed a short kick in behind the line because the poms were shooting out of the line a lot without any sweeper. Sadly we seem unwilling to do that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We should have beaten them.

I'm gonna say it - Cheiks is overrated. Had a cinderella season last year with the wallabies and this is the shit he serves up this year. Should never have let McKenzie quit DELETED - not going here again

I certainly have mixed feelings about Cheiks. But look at the major problem of the halves - what can he do change that?
I think every test coach would have selected Phipps and Foley - there are no other options. And they blew it horribly. Lilo maybe the only other option but he wasn't any better.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our game management was sooo shit. No focus on accumulating points. Just keep thinking that ball in hand = tries. Haven't been this angry after a wallabies test (at our play) for a while.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Congrats England you defended like animals.

Deserved the win.

Now I know we live in a competitive sporting market, and we like to play the Australian way and blah blah blah blah blah blah................

but.......

Can we please start playing smart???
We need to learn to get reward for dominance by taking points and not kicking to the corner every bloody time.

This is test match footy not Super Rugby.

I know with how tired England looked, running them off their feet isnt a terrible idea, but you need to show something for being in their end all the time. Fuck even Dan Carter kicks drop goals in tight matches.

Congrats again England, you've always bullied us on the field with brawn, but now with Eddie Jones you have the brains as well.

We have a lot to learn!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Haven't seen the wallabies go into a Bledisloe off a hard season opener as long as I can recall. Never nice to lose to the poms but this might not be all bad if it toughens them for the main game!

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
- Hopefully Giteau comes back for TRC. He made Foley look good at the RWC. I'd play him at 10.
- Phipps had one of his baaaaad games.
- Did Sam Carter play?
- Fardy had a shocker but he has earned more chances.
- Our kicking is fucking terrible.
- Our arrogance to not take the 3 cost us.
- The Wallabies shouldn't go into a test without a pilferer. We needed a breakdown threat. Should have picked Gill. McMahon didn't live up to the hype.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
And for everyone saying what a performance England made, just think how little they attacked, or really did. All they did was kick high balls and kick to the corners, defend well. VERY SIMPLE.

We can be beaten so easily or the opposition team needs to do is kick well.

Amazing it is what I said would happen a long time before the start of the season. I have continually harped on about the lack of genuine kickers in Australian Rugby and it has been shown up again tonight. The English didn't need to play, just like the Highlanders and Force and Stormers have done against the Chieka coached Tahs. They are as I said one trick ponies. Yes it is great to watch them run the ball and break the line, but it just doesn't happen all the time from your own half. In fact any smart team knows pinning a team in their own half with a good defence will win you mnore games than you lose, especially when that side has no effective exit strategy.

I doubt anybody will listen, but a one trick pony will win when its tricks are new and shiny and bright, but when that trick is countered they have nothing else to show and they get strangled out of the games, again just like the Tahs were numerous times in 2015 despite showing surprisingly similar stats to what the Wallabies have shown in the last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.