• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agreed, goal kicking was not the only reason we lost, but here's some interesting stats that i've just worked up: Farrell kicked 24/27 possible points he was offered = 88%. Foley kicked 8/14 possible points = 57%. If Foley had instead kicked 88% like Farrell, Aus would have had 4 more points = 32. If Farrell had kicked 57% instead, England would have had 9 less points = 30. So how does Aus 32 Eng 30 sound? All very hypothetical of course, it doesn't take into account where the kicks were located, the run of the game etc etc., but poignant: Eddie Jones hasn't forgotten how England won the 2003 WC in Australia [forwards + Wilkinson's boot] and he intends to emulate it.

The importance to England of points off the boot was reflected in Farrell's glee when he slotted the sideline conversion after the hooter. He knew it was more than just 2 points - it was a jab at Australia's long term mental strength.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agreed, goal kicking was not the only reason we lost, but here's some interesting stats that i've just worked up: Farrell kicked 24/27 possible points he was offered = 88%. Foley kicked 8/14 possible points = 57%. If Foley had instead kicked 88% like Farrell, Aus would have had 4 more points = 32. If Farrell had kicked 57% instead, England would have had 9 less points = 30. So how does Aus 32 Eng 30 sound? All very hypothetical of course, it doesn't take into account where the kicks were located, the run of the game etc etc., but poignant: Eddie Jones hasn't forgotten how England won the 2003 WC in Australia [forwards + Wilkinson's boot] and he intends to emulate it.

But if we had just been more accurate and given away less that a million penalties Farrell wouldn't have had all those opportunities to keep them in the game

T

TOCC

You're making an awfully big deal about not playing for a draw.

Feel free to tell us all that you told us so if there's another draw in the series.

Had the Wallabies had snatched a draw, do you think it would have had any impact over the confidence of either team leading into the next game as opposed to the final outcome?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Had the Wallabies had snatched a draw, do you think it would have had any impact over the confidence of either team leading into the next game as opposed to the final outcome?

a). everyone would have been disappointed. As has been said, a draw is like kissing your sister. b). the poms would be even more fired up to win now

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, it is a political statement, one that advocacy is pushing into "the norn". And its well time that it did.

The old lady did repeat a tad and a touch long, but she was openly trying to be friendly, personal and inclusive. Big thumbs up to the organisers on this. Note, the welcome should be at all games not just at internationals.

Sorry I do not and have never seen it as a political statement. Internationally it is pretty normal to acknowledge displaced traditional owners in countries where such has occurred. It is a social statement if anything and something I have no problem with, this is something that can only add to the depth of our culture, much as the Maori language addition to God defend New Zealand has added and acknowledged the depth over the ditch.

As I said the inane Fe Fi Fo Fum rubbish annoyed me no end and is the real embarrassment.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry I do not and have never seen it as a political statement. Internationally it is pretty normal to acknowledge displaced traditional owners in countries where such has occurred. It is a social statement if anything and something I have no problem with, this is something that can only add to the depth of our culture, much as the Maori language addition to God defend New Zealand has added and acknowledged the depth over the ditch.

As I said the inane Fe Fi Fo Fum rubbish annoyed me no end and is the real embarrassment.

Her speech was just much longer and a bit more detailed than is the normal.

Bit of a ramble but so what !!!

No problem from me

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

So was the "Shhhhhhhh" on the big screen when the Poms were goal kicking. It actually made people make more noise than they would normally, which generally isn't a lot. Thankfully they stopped it in the 2nd half.

Hey, one thing I noticed, was the positive reception Foley got from the QLD crowd, which surprised me.

Pre-game when the ground announcer was reading out the names of the lineup, obviously the QLDers (including Izzy and Pocock ;)) got more of a cheer than others, but Foley got an unusually loud cheer as well.

Well I think he did, perhaps I misheard as I was yelling at my sons to boo louder a the time.

T

TOCC

a). everyone would have been disappointed. As has been said, a draw is like kissing your sister. b). the poms would be even more fired up to win now

Disagree, Poms have won 8 on the trot and are full of confidence, having a win snatched from them in the dying minutes would have knocked them about and given the Wallabies more confidence leading into the next tests...

Anyway, it's all irrelevant now anyway, bit pointless carrying on with this debate, some think it was a bad call, some think it was the right call.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So was the "Shhhhhhhh" on the big screen when the Poms were goal kicking. It actually made people make more noise than they would normally, which generally isn't a lot. Thankfully they stopped it in the 2nd half.

Hey, one thing I noticed, was the positive reception Foley got from the QLD crowd, which surprised me.

Pre-game when the ground announcer was reading out the names of the lineup, obviously the QLDers (including Izzy and Pocock ;)) got more of a cheer than others, but Foley got an unusually loud cheer as well.

Well I think he did, perhaps I misheard as I was yelling at my sons to boo louder a the time.

Its because the hate for NSW is only outshone by the hate for England :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

We have a former Wallaby in Grey doing a brainless thing in interfering with the ball.
The we have an apparently brainless former Wallaby, Hoiles, disrespecting Jones - on any view of it.
I tipped England in my office tipping comp because we, as a nation, handed them all the additional motivation we possibly could last week.
And now we seem determined to give them more ammo for this week.
We are the village idiots of world rugby.
And over on the MOTM thread people are giving Folau points: 5 costly errors by my count. He owes us money.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Her speech was just much longer and a bit more detailed than is the normal.

Bit of a ramble but so what !!!

No problem from me

It looked to me that she was a bit lost in front of such a large crowd. Any bets on it being her first time live before such a large crowd and she got a bit lost on her presentation? No criticism, if I had to present like that, I'd probably clear the podium as I messed myself.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarlbok
aaiope ob
Punters on (NZ) TAB, Sportsbet & bet365 all have Australia at ~1.65 & Poms at ~2.30. Or is that one of your patented "X by 50" baiting of the Rugby Gods?​
Not at all, the NH teams will be at their best in the first test while our lot starts a new cycle after the WC. Eddie Jones know the Wallabies nrs. Think the Bokke will also lost the plot.

Played just as I thought. This week we'll (Bokke & Wallabies) change it around.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We have a former Wallaby in Grey doing a brainless thing in interfering with the ball.
The we have an apparently brainless former Wallaby, Hoiles, disrespecting Jones - on any view of it.
I tipped England in my office tipping comp because we, as a nation, handed them all the additional motivation we possibly could last week.
And now we seem determined to give them more ammo for this week.
We are the village idiots of world rugby.
And over on the MOTM thread people are giving Folau points: 5 costly errors by my count. He owes us money.
I disagree. One rank idiot (Hoiles) and one guy doing something a bit questionable (Grey) from a position where much worse has been seen in recent times (the English for instance swapping balls for Wilkinson).
And "we, as a nation"?? Please. You are usually far more rational than that.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Nobody was saying "any team goes out with the aim of securing a draw", the discussion was whether achieving a draw in Bris was any better than losing. Suggest we ask Eddie Jones or any of the English what result they would have preferred.:p
Yes i understand that the cup stays with the holder if the series is shared. But if the score in Melb is say 15-15 [3 tries to Aus vs 5 pen goals to Eng], guess who is going to be rejoicing at that point.
If you look back at the RWC 2015 Eng v Wales, Eng had a chance to tie the scores in the first instance with a pen goal, or, go for a win. Had they tied the scores they might have qualified by coming equal 2nd in group.

There is no second place in a two country test series. It is simply win or lose. If Melbourne by some unforeseen intervention of fate ends in a draw, then it is all over red rover for the Cook Cup. But a drawn series if the Wallabies then were to win in Sydney I'm assuming would keep the status quo as far as world rankings are concerned. For the purpose of RWC 19, that might be the more important outcome at this time.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think England would come out very slightly ahead of where they were before coming in, just due to the home boost with the points transfer BR, albeit, I don't know specifically.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
WR (World Rugby) haven't updated the standings yet but there's an article on their site stating that England are now ranked 3rd & would've gone to 2nd had they won by five more on Saturday.

http://www.worldrugby.org/PNC (Pacific Nations Cup)/news/169199

Standings are usually updated Tuesday our time, though sometimes not til Wednesday. They can be checked here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/rankings/mru

You can also play "what if?" using this points transfer calculator:

http://www.lassen.co.nz/pagmisc.php

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I disagree. One rank idiot (Hoiles) and one guy doing something a bit questionable (Grey) from a position where much worse has been seen in recent times (the English for instance swapping balls for Wilkinson).
And "we, as a nation"?? Please. You are usually far more rational than that.

That's not to menation bloodgate. In Australia that'd be a bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.