• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Fair result in the end. As long as Pocock is ok you guys should win the last 2, which would be an accurately reflect where both you guys are.

Pocock will be a huge loss. But I don't think it's turnovers we need. I think the bigger problem is preventing turnovers from the opposition - and general discipline at the breakdown.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The try in the first half was actually a poor pass from Lealifano, went above Foleys head, Foley tried to catch it and knocked it back and Kerevi had to turn around and try and clean it up.

If you want to be one of those who blame an individual player for causing a try, how about you look at the player who caused the mistake to start with..

Christ you guys are being uber parochial tonight........

YOU CRITICISED A REDS PLAYER SO HERE'S SOMETHING A BRUMBIES PLAYER DID WRONG!!!

Also, Folau threw that pass that went above Foley's head............ :rolleyes:

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
An excellent kicking performance from Farrell. 9/10 in anyones book is a class effort. the fact he got 10 attempts against a quality side like Australia adds to the performance.

Was impressed with the physicality of the English forwards at the collisions. They really pushed up and in defensively.

The turning point really was that poor decision by Izzy to throw the big pass to Foley and then the subsequent drop by Foley. Try time.

Haha gotta love a postgame whinge by Kearns....

T

TOCC

That's pretty funny. Where I live, League is not popular, in my town we don't have a League team yet. I know the game (League) since 5 years ago. I've played Rugby Union all my life, believe me, rugby is my game.

I'm just saying is boring to see win the side with the best goal kicking game
We get it.. You find it boring... Others didn't, so move on

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sio - poor
Moore - average
Holmes - average
Arnold - v poor
Simmons - one stupid lineout penalty. Tick. Then injured.
Fardy - poor
Hooper - good
Pocock - good
Phipps - great
Foley - good
Horne - average. Injured
Kerevi - good
Kuridrani - good
DHP - great
Folau - great maybe, that pass for England's first try was rubbish

My comments from another forum:

England played to their strengths, and executed more often than not. We played to our strengths, and didn't. Goal kicking was also disappointing from Foley - he makes those kicks, we're only 5 down with a quarter to go.

I know the 6N was a while ago now, but the core disciplines England possess were in evidence from their time together: Basic, direct rugby, which has had a bit of polish put on it by Eddie in terms of ambition. Box kicks go up and are chased hard, they get points in the zone, and then make the opposition chase the game. When they get a bit of space, pass the fucking ball; don't just kick it every time.

And it looks like he's worked on their fitness, too. Haskell was fucking everywhere. It was like there were three blokes out there wearing red headgear. He or Itoje should have got MOTM I reckon. Some very important tackles by the former, and some good aggression by the latter.

The scrum wasn't at all physically dominant by England, but Cole was very smart in letting Sio think he was going to hit him head on. First couple of scrums he let Sio over extend, then they won a penalty by completely changing direction as a unit. So good to watch as a prop, even though my lot were on the wrong end of it.

Still, England's backs can't defend well against pace or width, and I don't reckon the Pommy guy (Burrell?) would have brought Foley down for that try, though we'll never know because Arnold is a knob. Poor debut from him.

Dane Haylett-Petty had a pretty good debut I thought. Did his work, ran hard on the wing, and contested ball in the air from kickoff. Kerevi did well too I reckon, showing that he's got a decent pair of hands and a bit of acceleration.

Forwards need to look at their discipline. Just some schoolboy shit at lineout time from Simmons (again) and then a couple of stupid ones from Pocock and Fardy as well.

I am still amazed that Poite didn't card one of the Pommy replacement props for that ruck within 2m of their line after Folau broke out and offloaded to Phipps. In the subsequent play they were all over it, and denying us a tryscoring opportunity. Have no problem with Sio's card as that is Poite's style at scrum time, and no-one can gainsay it.

Think Arnold needs to go for Horwill. Simmons might be injured anyway, so Skelton probably comes onto the bench with Mumm and Horwill starting.

Given the style we played, it didn't lack a big bopper at 8 because the forwards weren't doing the damage. Pocock got 2 or 3 turnovers to stop the Pommy momentum, and Hoopah was scoring tries. Fardy was in it for the niggle.

The worrying bit is we didn't secure ruck ball consistently, and when we had England on the back foot they just fanned out and didn't bother. That bit was VERY Eddie Jones, but also a smart move in terms of conceding penalties. Need some inside ball from Foley rather than drift-and-pass because Eddie will be expecting that next time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Old fashioned opinion but it's TEST match rugby. I reckon you try and save the one you're in.

I don't think Cheika wants his team to "save" a test match. He wants them to win it. The choice to go for the penalty was a direct reflection of this.

T

TOCC

Christ you guys are being uber parochial tonight....

YOU CRITICISED A REDS PLAYER SO HERE'S SOMETHING A BRUMBIES PLAYER DID WRONG!!!

Also, Folau threw that pass that went above Foley's head.... :rolleyes:

Lol, the irony of this post.....

I care that little about who through the pass because I'm not going to blame an individual player for something like that, you can if you want... But blaming the player who had to turn and try and clean up someone else's mistake is fucken ridiculous...

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
We lost because of ill discipline, a poor set piece, and a bit of panic that saw us keep drifting away from our game plan. Foley had an off day with the boot, but if he'd kicked them all we would still have been well beaten. England played hard, unrelenting rugby and stuck rigidly to their game. They trusted their game plan (which you do after 7 wins in a row) and it paid off for them.

It's hard not to think our bench front row isn't better than the starting one. TPN is our best scrummaging hooker (although Moore is far superior at the lineout), Slipper is in great form and Sio had a mare, and I think Kepu has been our best THP for years.

Big wraps on DHP, a great debut, one of our best. I also thought our halves were generally good, and Folau is always dangerous. Fardy is a wondeful 6, but he has to think a bit. He has a nasty habit of getting on the wrong side of refs.

T

TOCC

We lost in the forwards, we lost at the set piece and we lost at the breakdown

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No test rugby team should be giving away 7 penalties in kicking range in a test match. That was the difference right there.

Our attack is superb but we need to learn how to play in our half, more % rugby in our half and more of the same in the opposition half and we got ourselves a winning combination.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I'm from a place where the norm is to play the simple rugby, boring rugby, tactic rugby or whatever you call it. For that reason I admire the running rugby and that's the reason why Super Rugby is my favourite rugby tournament.

To watch tactic rugby I can watch: "Georgia vs Romania"

Really? Most people prefer winning.
Perhaps the Aussies should have conceded less penalties?????

G

galumay

Jones outsmarted Chieka, coached the Poms very well, they had the tempo of the game to perfection - except for about 15 minutes, the first 10 minutes and part of the time when we were down to 14 men and still put a try on the unwashed ones. They played a great game and owned us at the breakdown and as has so often been the case against quality opposition, really poor disipline from the usual culprits let us down.

What was it about that right hand side of the field? the wingers for both sides were playing about 30m in from touch, both sides scored really soft tries on that side of the paddock.

Horne was a big loss and Lilo was poor as a replacment, I thought that 2 dads 2.0 had the best of the debuts, Arnold left me cold. Kerevi was 50/50 at best.

Phipps was huge, we missed Beale, Foley needs to spend all week kicking and I think we need big Willy.

Eddie will think that this is nearly in the bag, a win in Melbourne and its all over red rover. This could be a long winter for the Wobblies, the AB's put the Leek suckers to the sword after conceding a first half lead, we couldnt hold back the side that we humiliated in the world cup, at home, just 6 months ago. Ominous.

Status
Not open for further replies.