• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Overall I'm really happy with the team selected. Link has been consistent and also managed to slot a few blokes in to have a look at them. We've got the makings of an excellent Wallaby side here I think. Dunno about you lot, but I can feel something building here. Not getting ahead of myself by any means, but the trajectory looks good and I certainly feel a lot more content as a Wallaby fan now than at most times in the last decade.

What I'd like to see this weekend is a license for them to cut loose a bit more. Get the go forward, of course, but put a bit more pace on the game and show some adventure. This doesn't mean basketball rugby, but our default option should be to run the ball when it's on.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
What I'd like to see this weekend is a license for them to cut loose a bit more. Get the go forward, of course, but put a bit more pace on the game and show some adventure. This doesn't mean basketball rugby, but our default option should be to run the ball when it's on.

I think Link will give them a License to thrill especially considering the context. He would have copped a fair bit of shit for last weeks style (even though I think it was necessary) and will want the boys to put in a show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Link will give them a License to thrill especially considering the context. He would have copped a fair bit of shit for last weeks style (even though I think it was necessary) and will want the boys to put in a show.
It was very poorly executed and there was a complete lack of up and unders which I think are an essential element of a kicking and territory based game plan.
I think a fair amount of criticism is warranted. Against a good team we would have been comfortably beaten.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BDA

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Anyone heard anything about McCabe?

Injured his shoulder in the last tackle of the game and got up very, very gingerly. Anyone heard anything more?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Last week was an exercise in no risk, safety first rugby to win the series. It made sense to start with Horwill and with a grind in mind it made sense to give Jones, a work horse, the first shot on the bench. But I don't think that means Jones is ahead of Skelton in the pecking order as some people have suggested. Out of Carter/Skelton/Horwill/Jones each offer something different. Carter was chosen as a workhorse and proved he is worthy of playing that role for the wallabies. Skelton was chosen for his physicality and will have to show whether he can bring that at test level. I expect he will. Horwill was considered our best for so long because he offers a combination of those attributes (workrate / physicality). He doesn't seem to be quite as physical these days (although he has his moments) so Skelton's stock rise as a result.

Not yet sure where Jones fits into the picture. I know some people are saying he would be considered simo's back up, but I'd probably say Horwill is Simo's back up at this stage.

Also for those upset that Hodgson didn't get a run, it was never necessary for us to have a back-up 7 for this series and Hodgson would have know from day 1 that Link didn't intend to use him. Hodgson was brought into the squad for long term reasons, as he will at some stage be used during the year (possibly not until the EOYT tho) and needs to know the ins and outs of the team if he is required.

I really like the thinking behind the first paragraph.

I think another reason Jones was in the squad was if Fardy got injured then there were two different options for no. 6: Jones, who is a straight out workhorse and Higgers as a wider-running attacker. That gave Link and co. two options depending on what game plan the French were playing and what the state of the series was.

As another poster has suggested, the minute Moore went down and Hooper was made captain, Hodgson was never going to be selected. Had Moore stayed in the team, Hodgo would have definitely got big minutes in the second or third test in order to give Hooper a rest. He has played almost every minute of Super Rugby, three straight tests and then he's got 3-5 games of Super Rugby where he won't get much rest either. He is going to be tired once the RC hits, that's for certain.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very good looking Wallabies 23; certainly no WTF selections from a bygone era.

Still have that nagging feeling at the back of my end that we should bring Dan Palmer back from France to fix our current scrummaging woes. Can the ARU stump up the 1mil p.a. top-up to make it happen?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think another reason Jones was in the squad was if Fardy got injured then there were two different options for no. 6: Jones, who is a straight out workhorse and Higgers as a wider-running attacker. That gave Link and co. two options depending on what game plan the French were playing and what the state of the series was.

I think you're probably right about Jones being considered a 5/6. Perhaps not for this series, but I suspect Link is looking at him as a player of the mold of Fardy. Link seems to like the idea of playing a lock type 6. He's preferred fardy in that position and when Fardy wasn't available on the EOYT he opted for Simmons at 6. I do like the thinking behind it. Having an extra lock on the field probably strengthens your line-out and scrum. So yeah i could definitely see Jones playing at 6 at some stage. perhaps not until the EOYT if no injuries.

A bit off topic, I think Higgers would have benefited from going into the wallabies squad given his form to date. Link has a habit of getting the best out of players and I'm sure he would have told Higgers what he's looking for (which is clearly a 6/8 that plays tighter). I still believe that Higger can play that type of game and if he can, he'd me my guess for our starting 6 in the world cup final

EDIT: I will add that the make up of Link's backrow could change dramatically from game to game if and when both Pocock and Hooper are available next year. Two completely different 7s with completely different strengths who would compliment different players in the 6/8 position. If you went with Pocock for a game rather than Hooper, you might be more minded to start your wide-running 6 like Higgers. Things could get very interesting next year.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Very good looking Wallabies 23; certainly no WTF selections from a bygone era.

Still have that nagging feeling at the back of my end that we should bring Dan Palmer back from France to fix our current scrummaging woes. Can the ARU stump up the 1mil p.a. top-up to make it happen?
dan palmer is retired, permanently, not ever playing again,

mods can we start a dan palmer has retired thread so people will stop suggesting he comes back and plays for australia

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
That has to be close to the biggest pack we've ever fielded. Hooper letting the side down a bit in that regard, but I guess him being there is a lot of why Ewen feels free to pick the big boys.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That has to be close to the biggest pack we've ever fielded. Hooper letting the side down a bit in that regard, but I guess him being there is a lot of why Ewen feels free to pick the big boys.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the pack against the Argies in 2012 was bigger with Timani at 6

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We already had about 50kgs on them last week so this should give us a near 100 kg weight advantage!

Good or bad?

I guess if our scrum does not do well then it is purely down to technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.