• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France - June 14 Etihad Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

After watching the last 20min of the Brisbane Test I'm a little bit worried about this match in Melbourne, the French are going to bring a vastly improved side and given Australia missed quite a large number of tackles on the weekend, it could be another highscoring affair, lets just hope Australia comes out on top again.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a bit worried too. Our 2nd tight 5 is Cowan, Charles, Weeks, Simmons, Jones. They could get destroyed in the last 10 minutes.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm a bit worried too. Our 2nd tight 5 is Cowan, Charles, Weeks, Simmons, Jones. They could get destroyed in the last 10 minutes.

we can always go old school and leave the run-on guys on the field..depends how they are going - 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Well to be honest I doubt we'll see Cowan, Jones, Charles and Weeks all come on if the game is in the balance with 10 to go. But all of those guys have been in good form this season so we should have SOME faith, maybe not a lot.

It's definitely possible we could get dominated in the forwards this weekend, but even if we do, I expect we'll score enough points to win. I cant remember our backline looking this good. I've re-watched the first test about 3 or 4 times and we left a few tries on the field. We'll get opportunities this weekend and if our execution is close to last week we'll score a few tries, no doubt.

One thing I have notice re-watching the game is that (and this is not a slight on Foley) we would have been even more dangerous if Cooper had played last week. In the first 20 minutes of the game, before we broke the french, there were a number of times when we had players in space out wide, with numbers. It was obvious Foley doesnt have the long passing game of Quade as I feel we probably would have scored our first tries much quick if he was playing. Foley instead tried a few chip kicks to get it to the men on the outside. The first one didnt come off, but the second one bounced up fortuitously for cummins.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Need to take a leaf from Vince McMahon (WWF or WWE or whatever incarnation of letters they call themselves now) and artificially create some bad as dudes to become "hated" and loved.

The Badger personality is one that could be exploited. There are enough tattooed dudes in the squad to roster one or two as scary dudes. It doesn't take much imagination to create a bit of hype.

Unfortunately ARU are in the process of establishing a point of difference from mungoball in that you can trust rugby players to do the right thing, particularly with respect to treatment of women, and alcohol that creating a bad dude could back fire and undermine that campaign.

For myself, I'd rather rugby be a minority sport that has players who do not bash women, crap in hotel corridors, turn up pissed in public (I'm looking at you Bieber), and have enough sense to take a taxi home rather than driving under the influence of grog.

As a parent, I'd rather have my sons behave along the lines of the ARU point of difference, as opposed to follow what we read about in the papers about that the dark side players get up to in their off duty hours. La Jarse thinks so as well.

Taxis and rugby players do have a fair bit of history though.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
For myself, I'd rather rugby be a minority sport that has players who do not bash women, crap in hotel corridors, turn up pissed in public (I'm looking at you Bieber), and have enough sense to take a taxi home rather than driving under the influence of grog.

As a parent, I'd rather have my sons behave along the lines of the ARU point of difference, as opposed to follow what we read about in the papers about that the dark side players get up to in their off duty hours. La Jarse thinks so as well.

GZUKvFD.gif

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
we can always go old school and leave the run-on guys on the field..depends how they are going - 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!

Thats the way to go with the front row I would think. Only sub them if there is an injury or if we are up by about 30pts.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Thats the way to go with the front row I would think. Only sub them if there is an injury or if we are up by about 30pts.

yeah that's what I was thinking, front row reserves should be just that..reserves

OK to give them a run for experience though if we have an insurmountable lead, that's what happened last week and it was duly discovered that Ryan wasn't up to the task so it was a worthwhile exercise.

T

Train Without a Station

Front row reserves are the most likely to be used as front rowers have the lowest fitness levels generally.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm going to take a huge punt and say you were a prop back in your day Scrubber?

T

Train Without a Station

Haha. I was a shithouse 7.

Screw was. I reckon I still am a shithouse 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.