• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France, Paris, Sun 6th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Paisami had some variation 18 months ago, a cheeky kicking game, early passing etc. there was a stage in the Reds forum when he was being thrown around by fans as a possible flyhalf option (lol)

He definitely seems to have regressed and is head down runner again… but with less impact
I do wonder if this has been at the directive of Rennie et al. in an attempt to fill a Kerevi sized hole

He had a grubber or two last week, so hopefully he hasn’t lost that side of his game completely and can bring it back

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
All of my thoughts have already been said, but two quick comments:

I was really worried Campbell was being thrown to the wolves with a starting debut in Paris so I’m really happy with how he stood up overall. I’m excited to see how he can kick on - it could be really nice having a good passing/kicking/distributing fullback given some our talent sitting on the wings.

Our ruck work was super frustrating. Can we not teach jackaling properly? Other teams have multiple players across all positions, and all kinds of body shapes, who can to this. Danty killed it here. Lawes dominated us in the recent England series. We kind of have none. Can Porecki (who I like) work more on this and less on buzzing around at caterpillar rucks and pulling players through? Also I saw a couple of occasions where a counter ruck opportunity was on, but other Wallaby players refused to pour in, commit, and possibly win the ruck. Easy to say in hindsight I know as who knows, we could've overcommitted and given away some points.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My 'Probably not what's best for the game' wasn't referencing the fact players need to stay down more.

I'm talking about the way the game is officiated and having the play called back, when the French scored a good try. We all moan on about how play sometimes runs for several phases before the ref goes back to check some foul play that occurred off the ball and had no impact on what ended up happening afterwards. That stop start nature of rugby isn't great for the game.

By all means, if FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) was caught high, he should have stayed down, and the French player dealt with accordingly. I think that incident was missed by the video review.

But that particular play didn't really impact the particular aspects of the try being scored, yet it would have been taken off them. Not sure if there needs to be a threshold for where 'foul play' overrides anything that comes after it. For example, should it only be for red card offences.
Yeah I wouldnt be against punishments for dangerous play being retrospective. But they are very half arsed about putting blokes on report and the penalties are laughable.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Late to the party as well ,,, Jed Holloway really improving , hate to say it but we seemed to go better when Hooper left the filed ( rusty perhaps ) Interesting tactic to take shot at goal every time rather than kick for lineout / maul / try ,,, will see if they do this against Italy ,, i thought the last penalty we had the upper hand ( a bit ) should have forced the issue and put on some pressure ,, if we had of scored we would have won the match

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
hate to say it but we seemed to go better when Hooper left the filed ( rusty perhaps )

He came off with 10 minutes to go, there were two penalty goals, a try, an attempted conversion and a couple of scrum resets in that final 10 minutes.

Not exactly a lot of rugby during that time but we did lose it 8-3.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
If you thought the Scotland game was not worth watching then maybe you are a fairweather fan. I was thinking mainly of the group that watches the wallabies regularly. The occasional viewer who hears we have put together a couple of watchable games and people like me who mention it's worth a watch to some friends should up our number of eyeballs for the Ireland and Wales games.
I’ll bite.

I think the fact that I’m posting on a rugby forum probably indicates I’m not a fair weather fan. I also live in the real world and understand that games like the Scotland one do absolutely nothing for the casual viewer in terms of entertainment.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Late to the party as well ,,, Jed Holloway really improving , hate to say it but we seemed to go better when Hooper left the filed ( rusty perhaps ) Interesting tactic to take shot at goal every time rather than kick for lineout / maul / try ,,, will see if they do this against Italy ,, i thought the last penalty we had the upper hand ( a bit ) should have forced the issue and put on some pressure ,, if we had of scored we would have won the match
Nah - going 4 up with a few mins to go is usually a pretty strong position. Few teams would turn down the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.