• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I actually think both Gordon and McDermott have been poor enough to warrant someone else getting a chance. Lonergan perhaps. I'd say Issak Fines-Leleiwasa but I think he's ruled himself out?
On Jake vs Tate, the latter has more upside, imo. But maybe Lonergan is the next cab of the rank? (could have more long-term test prospect than his bro?)

The Force 9 that ruled himself out was Michael McDonald. Really is one that got away -- test prospect, just not for us...

Fines-Leleiwasa didn't actually rule himself out AFAIK. I do rate him as a potential test player.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Couldn't agree with you more. Our players have become worse in the smarts department. I could be uncharitable and say that they're getting stupider, but that would be unkind.

I actually think part of the problem is that they might be over coached and lack the ability to play what's in front of them (paging Robbie Deans!). Our great players of the past were able to take good options when under the pump (George, Noddy, NFJ, Eales, Morts, Burke etc) or have very well developed rugby instincts (Campo, Bernie). Where is that rugby IQ now?

To bring it back on topic, I struggle to see that kind of nous or leadership across the park this weekend. The current group are prone to colossal brain explosions when things get tough.
The lack of rugby smarts seems to be up there with discipline but doesn't get mentioned as much. You don't need a more obvious lesson than Swain changing direction shouldering an opposition runner and putting himself under poss yellow card on his first game back after suspension.
Rugby is a complex game in some areas and requires some smarts to play the game well.
I suggest a dumb player will always struggle at 9,10.12,&13. I played with an All-Black fullback at one time and he was not the sharpest tool in the shed but put him on the paddock and he read it like an open book but he was an exception to the rule. Over my 11 years of playing, I found the front row often had far more smarts and IQ than one might expect.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I can’t help but think a lot of it is between the ears.
I think 50% of it is between the ears in two areas. Not being able to follow a plan by going 'off-piste' or over thinking a situation and ending up constipated by your brain.
Good players are either Intelligent enough to think their way to create an advantage or naturally gifted enough to instinctively react to what needs to be done. We have some players that don't fit either of these criteria.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
On Jake vs Tate, the latter has more upside, imo. But maybe Lonergan is the next cab of the rank? (could have more long-term test prospect than his bro?)

The Force 9 that ruled himself out was Michael McDonald. Really is one that got away -- test prospect, just not for us...

Fines-Leleiwasa didn't actually rule himself out AFAIK. I do rate him as a potential test player.
Another U20's guy with plenty of headroom lost.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Not sure bout Ryan Lonergan, he had some pretty uneven performances for Australia A that might have set him back in the pecking order a bit. I doubt they look at him until after the world cup and then when that is might depend on what Nic White decides to do.

That said, Tate is probably the only of the current 3 who will make the 2027 world cup, so they might start looking at the others immediately after 2023, particularly if there is a new coach.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can't see the solid winger in OZ squad. The only starter wing for me is Koroibete. He can't kick to be fair but instead of that he can run through any man lol The other options are pretty much at the same level

Tom Wright is the best example, in one game he's Lote Tuqiri and the next game he's Mauro Bergamasco
I reckon Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) might be the one. Even in the loss last week he looked comfortable physically and was able to play at speed. He and Koriebete will make a good pair of wings in time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) might be the one. Even in the loss last week he looked comfortable physically and was able to play at speed. He and Koriebete will make a good pair of wings in time.
He seems to have a good temperament. He has worked hard to improve all aspects of his game. No doubt he will continue to improve.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) had a real weakness in defence, which he has worked hard at and improved immeasurably. I have a lot of time for any player who is prepared to put the work in around their weaknesses. His other issue is ball security, and I think he still has a little way to go with that. His natural ability, including size, speed, strength, ability under the high ball, balanced and elusive running is excellent. He also has a pretty big boot. Just needs to round off a few rough edges to be the full package.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)

I was hoping DR would have sent Gordon home after the Italian game and flew Fines-Leleiwasa over to replace Gordon.
IFL has a good pass, is quick to the breakdown and is always challenging the Pillar and post defence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) had a real weakness in defence, which he has worked hard at and improved immeasurably. I have a lot of time for any player who is prepared to put the work in around their weaknesses. His other issue is ball security, and I think he still has a little way to go with that. His natural ability, including size, speed, strength, ability under the high ball, balanced and elusive running is excellent. He also has a pretty big boot. Just needs to round off a few rough edges to be the full package.

Agreed - when he started in pro footy he was still trying the 50/50 (more like 20/80) offloads or flick passes in contact and that fails if you're in a new combination, because people aren't expecting it. Over time if he was working with the same guys it'd be magic.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The lack of rugby smarts seems to be up there with discipline but doesn't get mentioned as much. You don't need a more obvious lesson than Swain changing direction shouldering an opposition runner and putting himself under poss yellow card on his first game back after suspension.
Rugby is a complex game in some areas and requires some smarts to play the game well.
I suggest a dumb player will always struggle at 9,10.12,&13. I played with an All-Black fullback at one time and he was not the sharpest tool in the shed but put him on the paddock and he read it like an open book but he was an exception to the rule. Over my 11 years of playing, I found the front row often had far more smarts and IQ than one might expect.

The overall rugby IQ in our players has absolutely plummeted the last decade (or two).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) had a real weakness in defence, which he has worked hard at and improved immeasurably. I have a lot of time for any player who is prepared to put the work in around their weaknesses. His other issue is ball security, and I think he still has a little way to go with that. His natural ability, including size, speed, strength, ability under the high ball, balanced and elusive running is excellent. He also has a pretty big boot. Just needs to round off a few rough edges to be the full package.

Yep, the improvement in Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) over the last 12 months has been absolutely outstanding. He's one of a group of that U20's cohort from a few years ago that are IMHO the future of the Wallabies.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
You don't lose a game because of your wingers. Look at your next rival, they pick Hansen at the wing, a guy who couldn't make the Brumbies starting XV. If your forwards are beaten at the piggies battle, the winger don't touch the ball so it's probably one of the less important positions (Sometime I played at the wing lol)

I'm more concerned about the breakdown battle. There's where you lose or win a test match like this
I don't disagree.
I was a front rower when I played so I agree that the forwards are the most important area.
However, I don't believe that selection in the forwards has made any glaring errors beyond this player maybe better than that.
I did say that though I thought if you are going to play Hooper you need a pilferer in another position as a starter.
I also did mention that the Irish will bend the Wallabies over at the breakdown and go in dry but I don't think that is a selection issue so much as a general issue for Australian sides for the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.