• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Aren't some of these areas where we are having major issues, like the breakdown and forward collision the specialties of McKellar and Fisher that they are there to coach?

Absolutely, our breakdown is so bad. Although it's pretty good at the Brumbies so it's strange why it's so bad for the wallabies. At least the maul defence has improved.

I would say it's pretty hard to coach the collisons if you have small forwards: Hooper, Porecki etc. All you can do it train intensity and body height but still doesn't mean they wiill get over the gain line if they are being tackled by giants with 10+kgs on them with the same intensity.

I would say it's a waste to have both McKellar and Fisher in the coaching team, they both specialize in similar areas. One should be dropped. I would keep Fisher.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Bit discombobulating to come on here after a game where we had that much ball in the attacking 22 for only one try and not seeing multiple comments totally eviscerating the 10? Imagine if Noah had played it would be a madhouse in here.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Odd that Porecki is coping it but Gordon seems to get off Scott free?

Two tries last weekend, gave away the in the air penalty to give the Irish the ball leading up to their try and then was the player pinged for the nail in the coffin for the Wallabies.

Looking forward to seeing him start next weekend!

Both should be gone next week. Even if both fit. I hope this is the end of Gordon and we can finally settle on Tate and White as 2 and 1.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bit discombobulating to come on here after a game where we had that much ball in the attacking 22 for only one try and not seeing multiple comments totally eviscerating the 10? Imagine if Noah had played it would be a madhouse in here.

Having Foley and Noah at 10 all season, guess our expectations have lowered considerably.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
so the hookers ! the two Brumbies tyros are not up to it yet and i think Lonergan is always going to be too small. at home Kai'tu , Latu, Mafi, Rangi, Uelese and overseas BPA - all have their deficiencies either, cant throw, cant stop being carded, not interested, not mobile enough. we ned someone to stand up or the current two to F'n learn from their errors.
Lifeline to Stephen Moore :p

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Having Foley and Noah at 10 all season, guess our expectations have lowered considerably.

I was drawing a direct comparison to last week. It was also said somewhat in jest, as Foley did some good things as people have pointed out. But the reality is he is clearly not that far ahead of Noah and it might be time to start backing the younger options.

If Quade gets fit he's obviously in next year. I think everyone agrees we can't win shit without him and Kerevi. So if he's not around let's look to the future rather than taking the safer option now...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Absolutely, our breakdown is so bad. YES

I would say it's pretty hard to coach the collisons if you have small forwards: Hooper, Porecki etc. All you can do it train intensity and body height. BOBBY V
One should be dropped. I would keep Fisher. AGREE
Sorry Viking, thought it the best way to reply as I only have a couple of mins.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It's all well and good to say, "when we have Kerevi, Koroibete, Cooper, Leota etc etc back" but what makes us think we won't have heaps of injuries next year too? Bodies don't come good for world cups magically.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Porecki on the kneck role, as soon as he got up there he let go - one of those calls,
On Rennie - I'm a fan, look at the bigger picture;
Players out.
How close v Ireland and France.
Bring back the mud tracker games so touring players get to play in gold and gel as a team, and test matches get the respect they deserve.

On the ref - I reckon his 50/50 calls impacted us more than them - but that is rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Porecki on the kneck role, as soon as he got up there he let go - one of those calls,
On Rennie - I'm a fan, look at the bigger picture;
Players out.
How close v Ireland and France.
Bring back the mud tracker games so touring players get to play in gold and gel as a team, and test matches get the respect they deserve.

On the ref - I reckon his 50/50 calls impacted us more than them - but that is rugby.
Do you expect Gleeson to get a start next week, Dave?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
His selections don't appear to follow any kind of logic or rationale - why was Skelton coming off the bench? Why pull your playmaker against France and Italy? Why would he start Samu, the loosest of loose forwards, in place of our primary ball runner in tight? Where the fuck is Harry Wilson? This list starts getting pretty long the more you go back.

He chops and changes far too much and has completely mishandled the younger players in and around the squad including Noah, McDermott, Wilson, Donaldson etc. Rotating in 13 new players against Italy? fucking absurd. Diminishes the test and the jersey.

He also has to take responsibility for the discipline. Worst in the world, basically.

I like the guy and he's been a great change of pace from the horror that was Cheika's last couple of years - but he's kind of shit. Not everything that has gone wrong is his fault. The injury plague for example. But he's made enough bad decisions that have negatively impacted the side to warrant being moved on.

But he won't be because we are poor and the RWC is around the corner.
The injury toll has played havoc w selections and the logic that defines them.
skelton put in a great shift but that’s his first great shift in a wallabies jersey. Hindsight is great but a guy not renowned for lasting much of the game and with impact at test level is a stretch to start. If he can put that in going forward by all means.
Hodge came in v France to kick big penalties to win the game (he did that element of his job. Bernard would not have made that kick. Maybe white would’ve….?)
V Italy - I haven’t watched.

Harry Wilson? That’s your complaint? Mate he hasn’t set the test scene alight in his starts……good potential but…
Donaldson has played ample A games, got blooded at test level. You think he what should’ve started v Italy which would support your complaint regarding his selections? Donaldson needs aus A and super time not test rugby time right now. Talk about a Great Leap Forward.
Re Noah. The kid has had a lot of chances and keeps getting them. I’m not really sure the complaint there? Is it that Noah is playing in games that are losses and that’s not good for him? Yes he gets the hook or doesn’t play the next game but has he set the world alight as an obvious 10?
McDermott….you must be a reds fan given that and Harry Wilson comment

discipline ill agree on but at the same time where the fuck is senior leadership.

we win NZ, France and Ireland w a proper hooker and a 10 that’s 25% better than what we have. Give us the metronome Elton flatley ffs.
England have George, Farrell and smith. Give us one!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
You have to take your opportunities at this level. If you don’t….why should you start next match? I think that mindset need to penetrate down to discipline roo

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll watch the game at some point (last 15 minutes all I saw), but here are my condensed musings from watching that and the other games recently, from Musklandia aka Twitter:

1) No game on this tour has been decided by more than a kick

2) Sometimes this is due to our discipline, and the players and coaches need to own that

3) There have been some extremely good moments - and this characterises the Rennie era: lack of consistency

4) Partly this is due to a hideous injury toll that is not ideal given our lack of depth.

5) On the topic: going back to 3 teams won't help in this situation, obvs

6) this tour is getting us close to the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent, and we're still competing with teams who enjoy careers with short travel, more comprehensive professional seasons, and home facilities on which to build their teams. Some are paid a lot more, too.

7) It is line-in-the-sand time, and Rennie would gain a lot of goodwill among fans if it is made clear that players who continue to fail on discipline need to be dropped. Particularly senior players who should set the example, and be made an example should they fail

8) It is also time for the players to draw a line in the sand. The silly penalties. The dumb decisions. The poor execution under little or no pressure. This tour could be the fire in which the RWC2023 challenged is forged, if they want it badly enough.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nope.
How good was Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) this morning?
Read somewhere he almost defected to Fiji - that's an example on how tuff our current pathway is - the confidence and structure it gives the players.
You blokes were a bit unlucky this season. When we played you at Manly Oval you had 6 or more changes because of influenza. You looked like champions that day. We pulled the preliminary final out of the fire, Edmed made a sensational save when your hooker had the pill over the line.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Only because there isn't a viable alternative for half a dozen other players, there absolutely is in McDermott for Gordon.
Gordon has to go, two stupid penalties in two weeks that have contributed to 3 tries to the opposition.
While i agree Gordon should be dropped I dont think McDermott should be the next cab off the rank right now, either.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would say it's a waste to have both McKellar and Fisher in the coaching team, they both specialize in similar areas. One should be dropped. I would keep Fisher.

Dans already left the Brumbies and Lawrie is only on loan. We’re stuck with Dan and will have to find someone else to yell at the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.