• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Sun 20th Nov 7am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Arguably worse than that: they could have had the two man advantage for the full 10 mins but didn't think about packing a scrum until it was needed. Understand the first opportunity the players have other things on their mind but there was a break in play; how has the message not filtered down from the coaches box?
Bang on DD, I wondered when they got a penalty when it happened why a scrum wasn't called. I really thought the showed lack of nous without Sexton, and if he doesn't make WC, they stuffed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK then. You're sacking Rennie.

Who comes in?
You'd have an interim coach for the RWC. Probably McKellar - although would that fix the discipline issues? He's probably partly responsible.

Try to lock in Robertson and O'Gara in before England do.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am really sick of this 'unlucky' talk. When something becomes a trend it isn't luck anymore. Once the injury toll went past 20, with a ton of soft tissue injuries and concussions at training, it falls on poor training and rehab methods

When you lose as many close games as they do, it comes down to more than luck. Poor discipline, poor selections, poor situational awareness. Not good enough to build phases to score at the end, and not good enough defensively to stop other teams scoring

He is statically the least successful coach in Wallaby history. That isn't down to luck
The writing was on the wall after the England series. We had no right losing that and just being overall shit and clunky in attack. He's a fraud.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
OK then. You're sacking Rennie.

Who comes in?
I do laugh that the only defense of keeping Rennie is that there is apparently no one else. Hardly a ringing endorsement, and that is never a good reason to keep the status quo

Who comes in? Coleman, Thorn, McKellar, any number of guys really. Anyone that will change this weird losing mentality where they are "proud" when they lose and actually instill some discipline in this group

At some point results have to matter, otherwise why do we bother playing the games? If there are no consequences or accountability for the coach, how can we expect the players to have accountability?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I do laugh that the only defense of keeping Rennie is that there is apparently no one else. Hardly a ringing endorsement, and that is never a good reason to keep the status quo

Who comes in? Coleman, Thorn, McKellar, any number of guys really. Anyone that will change this weird losing mentality where they are "proud" when they lose and actually instill some discipline in this group

It's a decent enough reason if you avoid compounding the error by hiring the wrong person.

If you were McKellar and a reasonable shot at being the next head coach, why would you take an interim appointment? You've got a bunch of players missing through injury and are picking up the pieces in a RWC year. If you weren't being offered security beyond the RWC why would you take it?

If you were Coleman or Thorn why would you resign your current role with some ongoing security to potentially blow your chance at being the Wallabies coach by accepting a crap situation for one year?

Likewise if you are looking to make a long term hire you're doing so at a time when most good candidates aren't available.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Coleman? He seems to be a good coach, but you might want him to deliver some results first…

Thorn? Players seem to be regressing, or leaving because of him… who will be left in the squad once the morality police go through it?

McKellar… obviously touted as a future successor but the current state of the Wallaby forwards might be hurting his claim.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It's a decent enough reason if you avoid compounding the error by hiring the wrong person.

If you were McKellar and a reasonable shot at being the next head coach, why would you take an interim appointment? You've got a bunch of players missing through injury and are picking up the pieces in a RWC year. If you weren't being offered security beyond the RWC why would you take it?

If you were Coleman or Thorn why would you resign your current role with some ongoing security to potentially blow your chance at being the Wallabies coach by accepting a crap situation for one year?

Likewise if you are looking to make a long term hire you're doing so at a time when most good candidates aren't available.
Rennie gets to keep his job because simply because he has made such a mess of it no other coach would want to touch it. Haha you couldn't make this stuff up

It's dire either way. Glad they players are proud of themselves though

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)

At some point results have to matter, otherwise why do we bother playing the games? If there are no consequences or accountability for the coach, how can we expect the players to have accountability?
lol Thorn. He's more likely to be sacked by the Reds this year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Coleman? He seems to be a good coach, but you might want him to deliver some results first…

Thorn? Players seem to be regressing, or leaving because of him… who will be left in the squad once the morality police go through it?

McKellar… obviously touted as a future successor but the current state of the Wallaby forwards might be hurting his claim.
If you did sack Rennie (I don't think they will) I think McKellar is the obvious choice and you tell him, it's his job post RWC. Otherwise what's the point as has been pointed out in taking a 12 month job.

I'd hope feelers are out there to see the appetite of Robertson, O'Gara for the job but it may be a hard sell with other jobs probably opening up post RWC like NZ, England. We are in the same category as Wales at this point.

I really like Coleman and what he has done at lower levels and the way the Tahs improved quickly under him. I'd personally love to see him at the Tahs for an extended period then who knows if he is a Wallabies coach even after the next coach. I'm not sure about Thorn. I agree it seems to be going backwards a bit. I could see him being a good Forwards/assistant at international level.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rennie gets to keep his job because simply because he has made such a mess of it no other coach would want to touch it. Haha you couldn't make this stuff up

It's dire either way. Glad they players are proud of themselves though

This is the reality most of the time when you are looking to fire the coach. It is costly because they are already under contract and if you're doing it out of schedule with the standard hiring timeframes (often after RWCs) then you have a very poor selection pool.

At this point it is pretty clear that things are not tracking well for the 2023 RWC but trying to change things now is probably just wasting money we don't have to achieve nothing except not letting Rennie coach any more games.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
This is the reality most of the time when you are looking to fire the coach. It is costly because they are already under contract and if you're doing it out of schedule with the standard hiring timeframes (often after RWCs) then you have a very poor selection pool.

At this point it is pretty clear that things are not tracking well for the 2023 RWC but trying to change things now is probably just wasting money we don't have to achieve nothing except not letting Rennie coach any more games.
It's about setting in place performance standards

Keeping the status quo simply tells everyone in Australian rugby that is fine to lose, there are no expectations and no consequences

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

McKellar is the only Australian coach likely to be a replacement, but I would be amazed to see Rennie changed at this stage - there aren't any real upgrades out there

My impression is that we are getting near a competitive starting side (valiantly losing the France & Ireland is better than I thought we were going to do), we aren't great, but if you start to roll back in some of the rehab crew then your bench starts to look far better

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's about setting in place performance standards

Keeping the status quo simply tells everyone in Australian rugby that is fine to lose, there are no expectations and no consequences

Sure let's do that but then don't complain when we get stuck with a substandard coach for the next RWC cycle and aren't able to retain a key player in Australia because we spent a large chunk paying out a year of Rennie's contract.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Sure let's do that but then don't complain when we get stuck with a substandard coach for the next RWC cycle and aren't able to retain a key player in Australia because we spent a large chunk paying out a year of Rennie's contract.
To be fair results would say we already have a substandard coach

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair results would say we already have a substandard coach

Great. But your plan is leverage that into ensuring we have another substandard coach after the RWC with a whole lot less money in the bank because you've decided to pay out the existing coach a year early and then committed to the next coach who you hired against no competition because no one else was available.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yes the honourable loses are a lot less comforting when we also regularly lose dishonourably.

Would be different if we won the games we are supposed to/are already 99% of the way there.
Going to be all the sweeter when the Wallabies win the 2023 World Cup...

LETS GO WALLABIES

1668993625067.png

Status
Not open for further replies.