• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Japan, Oita - 23 October, 3:45pm AEDT

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Kick off at 3:45pm AEDT on Saturday arvo
Referee: Paul Williams (NZR)
Assistant Referee 1: Takehito Namekawa (JRFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Shuhei Kubo (JRFU)
TMO: Brendon Pickerill (NZR)

Let's get your team selections, steaming hot takes and other lineup suggestions for Dave Rennie in this thread.
For starters, Marika Koroibete has pulled out of the tour for family reasons and Pone Fa'amausili isn't touring after a calf muscle injury last week.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Have to assume that Daugunu is ready to play? A run against Japan would be good with Petaia on the bench to cover the back 3.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Are the Japan based players available?
McMahon is not after he left the COVID bubble straight after the October 2 Test on the Gold Coast.
Still negotiating for Kerevi and Cooper as this isn't in the Reg 9 Test window but trying to be diplomatic with a longer term view of keeping the Japanese clubs onside.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Here's my team:

1. Bell
2. Kaitu'u
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Rodda
5. Phillip
6. Leota
7. Hooper
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Petaia
16. Faianga'a
17. Robertson
18. Thor
19. Swain
20. Samu
21. Gordon
22. Quade
23. Hodge/ Daugunu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
smells of an ambush.

1 Bell
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Philip
6 Swinton
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge

16 Kaitu'u
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 JOC (James O'Connor)
23 Petaia

That's assuming Kerevi is not available.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
smells of an ambush.

1 Bell
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Philip
6 Swinton
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge

16 Kaitu'u
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 JOC (James O'Connor)
23 Petaia

I like it but swap Petaia for Perese.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
smells of an ambush.

1 Bell
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Philip
6 Swinton
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge

16 Kaitu'u
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 JOC (James O'Connor)
23 Petaia

I think this is the team except swinton has to be replaced by leota

Japan play a fast ball game and are typically shorter I fear if swinton plays he will be getting a red or yellow card

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Philip
6 Leota
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Philip
6 Leota
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge
There have been some good sides put forward, but I like this the most. I reckon Rennie & Co will be wanting a lead, bigger the better, at half time and plan to change the front row at half time or shortly after. I think they will go with Philip as the main lock until Rory Arnold joins for England and Wales, and that Rodda and Swain will alternate for Japan and Scotland.

I expect the backrow, halves and backline to be what the selectors consider the strongest available in the absence of Kerevi. The only change I'd make is Petaia on the wing for Wright who would come off the bench.

The bench would be Kaitu'u, Bell, AAA, Swain, Samu, Tate, JOC (James O'Connor), Wright. The bench management needs to be better than for the last test against Argentina.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
smells of an ambush.
I get not wanting to underestimate the Japanese, but if there's any game to give some of your fringe team members a good run, this seems like the game. I'm certainly not calling for wholesale changes but I think you could safely give a fair blokes a chance in the 23 without hurting the team to much. Honestly, i think we're a pretty bad match up for the Japanese. We play a similar up tempo game but have a much better pack at the moment and probably have more firepower in the backs too. I'd be surprised if we didn't have this wrapped up by the 60 minute mark.

Throwing a few fringe players a rare opportunity on tour often results in those players really taking their chance by the balls and excelling. Now's the time to see what they've got I reckon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I get not wanting to underestimate the Japanese, but if there's any game to give some of your fringe team members a good run, this seems like the game. I'm certainly not calling for wholesale changes but I think you could safely give a fair blokes a chance in the 23 without hurting the team to much. Honestly, i think we're a pretty bad match up for the Japanese. We play a similar up tempo game but have a much better pack at the moment and probably have more firepower in the backs too. I'd be surprised if we didn't have this wrapped up by the 60 minute mark.

Throwing a few fringe players a rare opportunity on tour often results in those players really taking their chance by the balls and excelling. Now's the time to see what they've got I reckon.
BDA, it will be three weeks between the last test and the one against Japan this coming weekend, and then two weeks to the next against Scotland. It might be nice to see some of the fringe players get to show what they can do, but I think it is more imperative to keep the first choice team in form and game fit.

I have no issue with replacing the front row off the bench at about half time because there isn't a big step down in quality between the starters and bench imo. Beyond that, I reckon the bench should be as strong as we can muster but should be used expediently as and if a win by the Wallabies becomes more apparent, not the wholesale replacement of players as occurred in the second test against Argentina.

Give me the strongest side we can put out and go for as big a win as possible.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
smells of an ambush.

1 Bell
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 Philip
6 Swinton
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Cooper
11 Wright
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Kellaway
15 Hodge

16 Kaitu'u
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 JOC (James O'Connor)
23 Petaia

Because of Wallabies complacency or Japanese quality?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Japan's greatest performances have been the result of years of targeted training and heightened focus and energy. The wins over Ireland and in particular Scotland at the World Cup were monuments. I'd be staggered if they could repeat them!