• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Japan, Oita - 23 October, 3:45pm AEDT

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
My guess is that Lonergan is the long term preference/a target for RWC23. He has the skills and he's already been exposed to a high level of football and looked ok. A year or two bulking and he will be the goods - right in time for the world cup.

Everyone else is auditioning to be one of the other two hookers in a world cup squad IMO.
He looks pretty big for his height already. Where is that extra 10 kegs going to go? He is young, as are Kaitu’u and Uelese.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If McInerney, or any one of the others, shows consistency in throwing to the lineout I reckon he or the other will move rapidly up the pecking order.
This for me.

Every one of the hookers on the list has struggled with their throwing to an unacceptable degree. If one of them gets it right they’ll be my first choice.

I don’t really see the value in Latu that others do - or maybe more specifically I think he is too hot and cold. But if he can replicate his World Cup form then he’ll be clearly the best of the current options.

I think they did the right thing leaving Lonergan behind - but definitely looks promising for the future.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We don't have any Malcolm Marx nor Dane Coles type hookers so probably just trying to find the guy who can lock down the setpiece best. Uelese is a big guy though, not sure what the go with him is.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Leaving Uelese at home is most surprising to me.
He was dismissed quickly and quietly after a good performance in the last Bled game. Might have been something happen in camp? He was throwing well along with his scrummaging. He was starting to look fit as FF (Folau Fainga'a) is now. At 24 he is still very young and has time.
He might not be viewed as an 80 minute player? Most front rowers are not these days but he plays good minutes for the Rebels.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Leaving Uelese at home is most surprising to me.
Me too. But i do like rennie "underperform or your out" mentality to selection. Wilson is another example of a guy they clearly see value in but hasnt really performed to his abilities this test season. Im sure the like of uelese and wilson have been told they needs to do more when they gets their next crack at the jersey. Im sure we'll see both back in the fold next year if they play well

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was evident during Super Rugby TT that Lonergan was far more dynamic around the field than the other domestic hooker options............ his ball running, and ability to bend the defensive line was particularly impressive.

He's a very exciting future prospect, but it goes without saying that he needs to bulk up if he wants to compete at test level, and not get his head pushed out his arse in the scrum.

Billy Pollard has the potential to be even more significant around the field - but I think is even smaller. He probably needs to relocate though, being stuck behind three Wallaby hookers

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Billy Pollard has the potential to be even more significant around the field - but I think is even smaller. He probably needs to relocate though, being stuck behind three Wallaby hookers
Heftiness comes before speediness. But both are essential these days for a 2. As well as being a great scrummager, a peerless thrower, and a superb general of the rolling maul.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My guess is that Lonergan is the long term preference/a target for RWC23. He has the skills and he's already been exposed to a high level of football and looked ok. A year or two bulking and he will be the goods - right in time for the world cup.

Everyone else is auditioning to be one of the other two hookers in a world cup squad IMO.

I disagree here. I think he has a minimum of 2 years of development before he is test ready let alone thriving at test level.

Despite being dynamic and mobile at super rugby level I think he was still outmuscled regularly and had there been more NZ and SA teams in the comp this would have been more evident.

I would have Longeran coming from the bench at the Brumbies all of next year with the aim for him to push to be the regular starter in 2023.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is Hooker the most technically challenging position?

Why are the Hookers the ones who throw in the line-out?

I don't believe its in the rule book it must be the Hooker, here's an idea, choose the best around the park and scrum and let some-one else throw it in the line-out.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I don't believe its in the rule book it must be the Hooker, here's an idea, choose the best around the park and scrum and let some-one else throw it in the line-out.
I assume its one of the front-row just by virtue of the fact that they aren't needed to attack or receive the lineout.

Presumably it's not going to be a lock or a backline player. You also probably don't want it to be a flanker as they will be either lifting or getting ready to secure the ruck. So unless Slipper is secretly really great at throwing i don't think that's our solution.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This for me.

Every one of the hookers on the list has struggled with their throwing to an unacceptable degree. If one of them gets it right they’ll be my first choice.

I don’t really see the value in Latu that others do - or maybe more specifically I think he is too hot and cold. But if he can replicate his World Cup form then he’ll be clearly the best of the current options.

I think they did the right thing leaving Lonergan behind - but definitely looks promising for the future.
If they are going to benchmark Mcinerney‘s throwing against Japan, v the others against NZ, SAF, ARG and FRA, then he’s getting a free ride.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

It doesn’t have to be, but it’s now a core role of the hooker, especially at the elite level. Club teams regularly use flankers and props, and a long time ago it used to be a winger, even in internationals.