• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Japan, Oita - 23 October, 3:45pm AEDT

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
One good aspect of our play was the taking of high balls, particularly by Petaia but also Kellaway, Cooper and Wright.
Hopefully Hodge is OK. He is our first choice 15 and 3rd choice 10.
Beale may be called in to the squad if not?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
One good aspect of our play was the taking of high balls, particularly by Petaia but also Kellaway, Cooper and Wright.
This is wartime. We have to do everything we can to crush the NH pretenders.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Its absolutely clear what the situation is - the kick was taken at goal, therefore it is general play as soon as the ball leaves the boot.

The ball hits the upright, goes into touch - NOT touch-in-goal - so whoever didn't put it out gets the throw.

This is less confusing that pretty much every other concept in rugby.
Sure, the next day.

An international commentator and former test player wasn’t aware of the correct ruling and none of the others had seen it before and were sure on the ruling. it’s not really surprising it is a point of discussion.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Paisami was unable to impose himself in attack as Kerevi does. Perese might be a better like for like replacement? Petaia earned himself a spot back on the wing I reckon. We might see KB (Kurtley Beale) back in the frame? There is not a recognised starting 15 in the squad.
Japan looked very tidy in spots. Their first up defence was brutal. As said, they need to be included in the RC sooner rather than later.
Yeah, I think this game really highlighted the importance of Kerevi and Koribete to our current attacking structure. I have a feeling we'll see the depth chart start to look like 12 Kerevei/Perese 13 Ikitau/Paisami over the next year. It probably also improves Petaia and in particular Vunivalu's standing, as they look most likely backups to Koroibete where we need that go forward coming off the wing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought that was a pretty solid performance. We were clearly a bit scratchy, and Japan played damn well. We struggled with their speed in attack and defence all game.

Quade lost his way in a few stretches but was pretty bloody good outside of those. Set up a few tries that I don't think we would have scored had we had a different 10.

Those types of games are always the ones we struggle with. An opponent with super fast line speed in defence (offside all day), and a fast and loose attacking style that's big on offloading.

It reminded me of the Argies in their prime.

We dominated set piece, kept our patience when it mattered. I'd prefer it not to be as close as it was, but Japan are serious opposition so it was never going to be a cakewalk.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Quade's ability to offload is pretty useful to save a potentially bad situation. Managed to get 3 offloads in tackles last night.

Quade and Rob Leota both lead the defenders beaten (4). With Leota, Petaia and Tom Wright all making a game high of two clean breaks each.

Australia only missed 5 tackles in the entire game. Forwards all tackled at 100% except for Tupou who made 1 tackle and 1 missed tackle.

We turned the ball over 11 times though.

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sure, the next day.

An international commentator and former test player wasn’t aware of the correct ruling and none of the others had seen it before and were sure on the ruling. it’s not really surprising it is a point of discussion.

:rolleyes: They didn't know half the Laws when they were playing, and have refused to educate themselves since. Don't ascribe greatness to these guys based on their history.

Look at Mehrtens at the lineout we disrupted 10m out from our line - "I don't know where Samu came from or how he was allowed to be there" or words to that effect. Simple answer: the lineout went past the 15m mark, so there is no need for Samu to approach from last feet until a maul or ruck i.e. an offside line has been created.

I'll grant this kick rebounding into touch was an unusual situation, but everyone here who has watched rugby for any time has seen a ball bounce back into the field of play from an attempt at goal. It is general play. Connect the dots.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Paisami was unable to impose himself in attack as Kerevi does. Perese might be a better like for like replacement?
I’m not sure Perese leap frogs Paisami into the starting 15 before showing he’s up to the standard. He hasn’t even made his debut yet, and Paisami was very solid.

There really is no Kerevi 2.0, as shown yesterday and by the way the Reds changed after he left. I don’t think the game plan should be about trying to replicate what he offers, but instead finding other options.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kerevi will be available for selection in a couple of weeks, according to the SMH. Maybe the sky has not fallen just yet.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not sure Perese leap frogs Paisami into the starting 15 before showing he’s up to the standard. He hasn’t even made his debut yet, and Paisami was very solid.

There really is no Kerevi 2.0, as shown yesterday and by the way the Reds changed after he left. I don’t think the game plan should be about trying to replicate what he offers, but instead finding other options.
I largely agree - but Paisami is very capable of straightening the attack and getting us on the front foot. I think at times yesterday we should have gone down that road a bit more.

I agree that I’d still have him in front of Perese. He may not have busted up the defence the way that Kerevi has been but he made good metres in attack and was excellent in defence. He had one kick that he’d probably like to have over again but otherwise was a solid performance.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Hodge is out I think it's a near certainty that Beale will be called in. I think they'll continue to develop Kellaway at 15 with Petaia on the wing, but Kurtley in the 23 shirt definitely has some appeal. Unless you're Brumby Runner ;)

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It does really highlight the vulnerability of the Wallabies structure at the moment in attack.

Most of the forwards and outside backs you can rotate and probably still get the same level of output, there seems to be great depth there.

But Cooper and Kerevi have largely been our most influential players in terms of attacking structure and both are so unique that when one is missing and the other has an offish day, the team has to work a lot harder to grind out the win, which should go a long way to building confidence.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It does really highlight the vulnerability of the Wallabies structure at the moment in attack.

Most of the forwards and outside backs you can rotate and probably still get the same level of output, there seems to be great depth there.

But Cooper and Kerevi have largely been our most influential players in terms of attacking structure and both are so unique that when one is missing and the other has an offish day, the team has to work a lot harder to grind out the win, which should go a long way to building confidence.
Ant Faianga’a certainly was much more a Paisami level than a Kerevi level player and he was an excellent foil for Quade. Every 10 players better with guys around them they are used to, but I think that is even more so for Cooper. Given a bit more time I think they’d be much better. Kerevi will still be picked the moment he is fit though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kellaway didn't make a single error at fullback and given the success we had in winning the game - and the lack of other solid options - that's what we need.

This is Test Rugby, not carnival 7-a-side, so having a fullback who is safe is far more valuable than someone like Damian McKenzie.

he has been a huge success at wing - he was not a failure at fullback but does he offer more at wing - I would say at this point he does. I don’t know if just about safe at fullback - sure that is big part of it but you want a fullback who can take advantage of the space and offer an attacking threat. Chris Latham to my mind a good example of that.

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

This is the sorta situation which is workshopped at referees' associations meetings so's all present know what to do when/if it happens again, after everyone has a good look at the law book. I no longer attend ra meetings as I've let my referee's credentials lapse, but, on reading my law book at first thought I reckon Pfitzy's on the money.

Happy to be corrected.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There was zero pressure on the high ball chase.. we took them well but under nothing like the pressure other teams have put us under..

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This is the sorta situation which is workshopped at referees' associations meetings so's all present know what to do when/if it happens again, after everyone has a good look at the law book. I no longer attend ra meetings as I've let my referee credentials lapse, but, on reading my law book at first thought I reckon Pfitzy's on the money.

Happy to be corrected.
I agree he’s in the money, and clearly the ref & ARs knew it as they didn’t hesitate. My only comment is that it’s hardly surprising that the average watcher wasn’t 100% sure and it was a point of interest.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
he has been a huge success at wing - he was a failure at fullback but does he offer more at wing - I would say at this point he does. I don’t know if just about safe at fullback - sure that is big part of it but you want a fullback who can take advantage of the space and offer an attacking threat. Chris Latham to my mind a good example of that.
Sorry why was he a failure?