• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas - Saturday 17 September, nib Stadium Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Can someone tell me if this has a different defensive structure to the previous tests played in TRC.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

No, same. Halfback sweeper. One 10 / 12 running wide sweeper for the midfield kick returns / counter. One 10 / 12 defending in the line for turnovers. A solid structure.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I was surprised they still dropped foley back in to the pocket for clearing kicks on a few occasions.
Strange decision when there are at least 3 longer and more accurate boots in the side.

M

Moono75

20160917_193648_007_01.jpg
Great win. NIB great ground for the rugby. My liver hurts!

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Just finished watching the highlights for the third time (was unable to watch the game live). After quade 's yellow card tackle did anyone else see the upper cut/right hook from the argie forward to hooper's stomach in the following ruck? Surely just as much a yellow card as quade dropping the shoulder. Or am I just getting soft in my old age?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Wallabies are the only team this year to keep the All Blacks under 30 points. Next best is Wales with 36!! We even did it with Cooper/Foley and Turnstile on the wing. Damn we are good.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So pocock has a broken hand. Are we going to get outrage on here when McMahon gets picked ahead of timani?

Far from a perfect performance but it was a convincing win despite a very unfavourable penalty count and playing with 14 men for a quarter of the game. They showed what they were capable of defensively and the attack in the first 15 minutes was awesome, a great foundation to build from.

I'm going to watch it again before making further comment but the one thing I can say now is that folau's form (lack of) is a concern. Can't see him getting dropped but as pfitzy says he needs to spend a bit of time during the lay week having a few chats with his mate Jesus.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wallabies are the only team this year to keep the All Blacks under 30 points. Next best is Wales with 36!! We even did it with Cooper/Foley and Turnstile on the wing. Damn we are good.

Bledisole 1 was Aus 8 NZ 42

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bledisole 1 was Aus 8 NZ 42

Which I don't need reminding of and has nothing to do with my point does it? And 42 is less than the average points they have scored per game. So we are better than the other international teams they have played.

How are those novels coming along?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I thought you have to be reasonably happy with that performance, Wallabies seemed to tackle pretty well which was big problem against ABs, and I think the idea of Foley at 12 is not looking as bad as it did a couple of weeks ago. Genia looks right back on his game, and I still believe he should of gone overseas to refresh himself after 2011 WC when he first talked about it. McMahon certainly went alright when he came on, and Quade while not setting the world on fire is going ok. Coleman looks like he might be a long term prospect at 5, so I would think from a neutral's point of view Wallabies get a good pass mark.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sorry (not sorry) one last thing: Folau's form is shot to shit. Needs to stop THINKING and start just DOING.

I said to my wife it is lucky that Folau is so world class at the things he is good at because there are a lot of parts to his game where he is below an average Super Rugby player.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I didn't like the tactic where we kicked possession away so quickly after we won it. But our ball retention in contact was poor. They would be a difficult team to play against.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Surely this has to be a directive from the coach.

If it is the players decision then I imagine they get reamed after each game and have to be concerned for their position.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

that was because it was so easy to fix the defensive issues after Bledisloe 1

Reactions: TSR

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Ok so for pretoria:

Insert McMahon at 8 for pocock
Insert mccalman on the bench

Edit: forgot about fardy. I'd consider bringing him back in at 6 with pocock out. Still need mccalman on the bench though so maybe it's mumm's turn to be rotated out.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think that adjusting for quality of opposition, this performance was about the same as those in Wellington and Brisbane. We didn't give up heaps of tries but there were vArious Argie possessions that lasted more than 15 phases and saw them move the ball at will.

The ABs (and the English, evidently) are far better at shutting down that inside ball channel than was the source of two of the tries. Nicely done but as representative of quality of defence as much as anything.

Still, good to get up and I think the OS matches will be good (the RC and the EOTY). Haven't seen anything to think that Auckland won't be a bloodbath, but then everyone is going through that at the moment.

G

galumay

No doubt I will cop some flak for it, but a significantly better performance by the Wallabies for mine. A win built on well organised and committed defence and an outstanding game from Genia.

I think the Pumas made a bad mistake starting Cubelli instead of Landajo, he was a big part of the Pumas opening the AB's up like no other team has done for years in the first half last week.

Regardless, even though the Pumas attack was no where near as potent this week, it took a lot of organisation, committment and energy to keep them out for so much of the game last night. Set piece was also better, line outs and scrums were better than recent games.

The things that still remain as opportunities for improvement was the kicking in general play and the general lack of potency in attack - if Genia hadnt played out of his skin there might not have been much to see.

Coleman showed he is growing into the role and his work rate was excellent last night.

I never thought I would say it, but QC (Quade Cooper) actually seems to be working out, I have always thought he ws simply not up to test rugby, an at times good Super rugby player, but that was about it. He has made me eat my words with his return to the Wallabies, much more mature, making much better choices, not afraid of the contact as previously and very few brain farts!

That no-look, inside flick pass is a devastating tool, especially as now his team mates seem to be positioning themselves better for it, and every now and then if he runs instead it will keep the defence in two minds.

So off to Pretoria now, to meet a team that also improved last night from their woeful performance against the Wallabies 2 weeks ago, playing at home, where they are always challenging to beat. It will be a good measure of whether the improvement in the Wallabies is sustained.

It will be the first match in a fair while where I am reasonably confident the Wallabies can get up for a win.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think that adjusting for quality of opposition, this performance was about the same as those in Wellington and Brisbane. We didn't give up heaps of tries but there were vArious Argie possessions that lasted more than 15 phases and saw them move the ball at will.

The ABs (and the English, evidently) are far better at shutting down that inside ball channel than was the source of two of the tries. Nicely done but as representative of quality of defence as much as anything.

Still, good to get up and I think the OS matches will be good (the RC and the EOTY). Haven't seen anything to think that Auckland won't be a bloodbath, but then everyone is going through that at the moment.

Hang on, aren't all and sundry saying that Argentina are heading for #2 in the world? ;)

Defensively that was easily our best performance for the season. No we weren't defending against the All Blacks, but we were defending against a pretty determined side and in the wrong half for 70% of the time.

The attack showed glimpses of what they are setting out to do but it's not there yet. I'd stick with that combination whilst we don't have a proper ready made 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.