• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Samoa, Sat 7th September, 7.30pm, Bankwest (Parra) Stadium

B

Bobby Sands

It’s certainly odd. If he’s first choice he should be rested. If he’s not first choice then someone else should get a crack. The only explanation I can think of is getting him up to speed with the 6 responsibilities, pun intended.

Cheik like everyone else realises that he still doesnt know how to play 6, and we are running out of time. Despite this, he is probably out best option. Strange game rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Glad to see Pocock back out there and hopefully he plays a full game or close to it. We need to find out if his body will go the distance. Better for him to break down now if he's going to, or on the positive and preferred side (of course) he's all good and can take his rightful place when the big dance starts.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don’t get it, is LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) simply not giving back the 6 jersey?

Yeah I would have run Dempsey at 6, but maybe its a straight shotout between the 2 for the 6 jersey, and Dempsey can play off the back of the scrum so his at 8.

When it comes down to it, those are the only 2 options in the squad at 6 unless you start Poey there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I would have run Dempsey at 6, but maybe its a straight shotout between the 2 for the 6 jersey, and Dempsey can play off the back of the scrum so his at 8.

When it comes down to it, those are the only 2 options in the squad at 6 unless you start Poey there.

That was my thought also

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Glad to see Pocock back out there and hopefully he plays a full game or close to it. We need to find out if his body will go the distance. Better for him to break down now if he's going to, or on the positive and preferred side (of course) he's all good and can take his rightful place when the big dance starts.

I expect Pocock will play 40 minutes or not much more.

It was mentioned in one of the articles that part of the reason for starting him is they can control his minutes by subbing him off when desired.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Makes a degree of sense, but the primary reason I'd want him starting (other than game time) is to keep Samoa honest at the breakdown. It would be preferable in my view to have him go as deep in the game as possible.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Powell missing out is odd, might imply that Phipps is very much viewed as the 3rd choice scrummie.

He is still the 9 outside the squad best equipped to provide energy and dynamism from the bench to finish a test

If White or Genia go down, I see the logic of confirming that theory.

But I wouldn't have him start

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Samoa to face the Wallabies
1. Jordan Lay
2. Ray Niuia
3. Michael Ala'alatoa
4. Teofilo Paulo
5. Kane Leaupepe
6. TJ Ioane
7. Jack Lam
8. Afaesetiti Amosa,
9. Scott Malolua
10. Tusi Pisi
11. Ed Fidow
12. Reynold Lee-Lo
13. Alapati Leiua
14. Belgium Tuatagaloa
15. Tim Nanai-Williams.
Reserves
16. Motu Matuu,
17. Paul Alo-Emile
18. Logovii Mulipola
19. Josh Tyrell
20. Seilala Lam
21. Dwayne Polataivao,
22. AJ Alatimu
23. Ah See Tuala

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe after weeks in camp, Scott Johnson's opinion of Powell is now more aligned with Cheika's?

And maybe you're talking through your hat? I think it is fairly well established, from the words out of their own mouths in recent times, that neither Johnson nor O'Connor are exerting themselves over Cheika, but more are working as sounding boards for Cheika's selections. Phipps had a very ordinary Super season and was rated by nearly everybody behind Joe Powell in the Wallabies' stakes this year. Cheika has never rated Joe as evidenced by having him on the bench and either not playing him at all or giving him absolute minimal game time.

It even seems more ludicrous (at least to me) that Phipps will not be playing domestically next year, and while he qualifies under the Giteau rule, I am reminded that you have on various occasions quite lucidly explained why those players should not be used in mid year tests because of the travel involved in making at least two, and maybe three or four, return trips in order to participate. Anyone with an eye to the future, or to 2020, would see the benefit of playing Powell (or Gordon, but he also has been consistently ranked behind Powell this year) over any of the alternatives who are off overseas at the end of the Cup.

I cannot comprehend the logic behind a lot of Cheika's selections/decisions over the past five years, and I know I'm not on my Pat Malone there.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
BR, I think that among a crowded field of biased one-eyed raving fanatics around here, you may just in the top three raving-est. Love your passion

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t get it, is LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) simply not giving back the 6 jersey?
My thoughts exactly. Even in the experimental match we aren't experimenting in the position we had most cause to experiment in.