• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, the adjudication is different when the culprit is a home nation. That’s his point.

I gave up crying about crooked line out throws long ago.
Not exactly my point - but close enough.

The wallabies have created a rod for their own back with their incessant whinging at teh referees and constant infringing.

It has had its toll on the referees and they are no longer engaging positively with any Australian player - captain or otherwise. This will take years (on our part) to correct.

There is no conscious bias from the referees against us, but the negative view they have towards us leads to inconsistent behaviour that doesn't help the situation. The two breakdowns leading up to the penalty against the wallabies circa 3 minutes game time compared to the breakdown that leads to the penalty against the wallabies circa 60 minutes game time as a comparative example. this referee was absoklutely NOT consistent in his interpretations of teh breakdowns and his engagement with the two teams from the first whistle blow was absosultely was not consistent.

This referee used every single thing at his disposal to not give a red card to a clear red card offense.

The references to the Foley tackle are laughable. Before the end of next year's world cup, an australian lock in posession of the ball will be red carded for lowering themselves into a tackle and making head contact with a defender. I give it a 50% chance that it will happen on this tour.

Exclusive to all of the above is a broader problem and that is the referees need to inject themselves into anything and everything so to raise their own profile. How many matches are now ending with 30+ penalty counts? How many phases before the referee or TMO stops play for some obscure law that has not been called for the last 80 years? Used to be a "7 phases" count metric, but I rarely see 3+ these days. And that suits the main audience for rugby - Europe. The ones who when polled a number of years ago said the most favoured outcome they like to see from a scrum is a penalty. This is not the game I loved for the better part of 30 years. It's currently stop/start/heavily adjudicated hot garbage. And it is not just the players at fault for this. World Rugby is to blame.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I couldn't stop being impressed with Riley last night, but to be fair maybe there was coaching or something in Japan or he simply matured into a good player. probably not as easy as moone saw how good he was.

The state of Australia's talent identification when someone like Riley is let through... it's disgraceful and unacceptable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I mean I'm a miserable prick so I'm not really one to go off but, yeah, to me shit has been getting very dire the last few years on multiple fronts: quality of the game overall, standard of the refereeing, administrative decision making (except maybe the last year or two) and the absolute state of the Wallabies and franchises performances.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The state of Australia's talent identification when someone like Riley is let through... it's disgraceful and unacceptable.
Do we have talent identification? pretty sure we sacked everyone to balance the books.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Brain dead penalty against toupo at the end. That was the most stupid thing I've seen in a long time.
It was pretty stupid, but I was happy with him today. It has been a long time since he appeared to be keen to impress and show what he can do.

At times he has looked lazy but today he seemed to have a point to prove, almost as if he was given a last chance to impress, he was doing little things, like jumping from a lying down position to try to get an ankle tap and just seemed more involved.

Hopefully this means he is fully fit

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Riley was poached with a good offer when he was only 19, he was in the Reds U20 squad at the the time and was on a sporting scholarship at Bond University as well, Robbie Deans was just able to offer more.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Riley was poached with a good offer when he was only 19, he was in the Reds U20 squad at the the time and was on a sporting scholarship at Bond University as well, Robbie Deans was just able to offer more.
What was the offer?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Probably about the same time as Ben Gunter was lured to the same Japanese club. It’s retention more than recruitment. A scholarship and a stipend aren’t as valuable as a professional contract to kid. It would’ve helped his decision knowing he was behind Kerevi at the Reds also.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Meh - Japan will start poaching NZ players too. They have far more yen than we have rapidly depreciating dollars.
And to be fair mate, they done alright in poaching coaches over there too, 4 of the Japanese coaching set up kiwis. Joseph, Brown, Mitchell and Hansen, and plenty in club land too including Wayne Smith, Robbie Deans and Tood Blackadder to start with!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
And just to add more into "how good this referee was"...

He blew his whistle for the final penalty of the match at 77:54. The Scottish kicker started his run in at 79:38 and actually kicked it at 79:40. That's 106 seconds of actual in game time where the ball was not in play but the clock was allowed to run down. There were no warnings to any Scottish player to hurry up their play.

The ball is grounded at 79:48 at the earliest, 22 drop out is called and the wallabies are told to "ok let's go lads" at 80:18. 30 seconds at the most before being warned to play on.

He allowed one team to wind down time and then did everything in his power to make sure that team could get a second go when they fucked up their one chance at victory.

I don't care about one being a kick for goal and the other being a drop out.

He might well be a good referee in general, but in this match he was inconsistent and bad.

Last edited:

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Probably about the same time as Ben Gunter was lured to the same Japanese club. It’s retention more than recruitment. A scholarship and a stipend aren’t as valuable as a professional contract to skid. It would’ve helped his decision knowing he was behind Kerevi at the Reds also.
Gunter wasn’t offered anything by reds. Easy decision

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Gunter wasn’t offered anything by reds. Easy decision
It was an easy decision for Riley too. Deans saw something in both players, offered them opportunities that weren’t present here and they’re both capped internationals.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
A
It was an easy decision for Riley too. Deans saw something in both players, offered them opportunities that weren’t present here and they’re both capped internationals.
according to Adam. Ripley was offered a better offer. Presuming he was offered something by the reds.
Otherwise ordinary misses by recruitment staff.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
A

according to Adam. Ripley was offered a better offer. Presuming he was offered something by the reds.
Otherwise ordinary misses by recruitment staff.
Yeah, it’s just disappointing. As others have stated, Japanese clubs have the money, more teams, therefore more opportunities. So it’s hard to compete with that. But it sucks we have to choose between 2 teenagers on what they offer a few years down the road.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Tucker said his stock falling from this match was centre Hunter Paisami.

“He might not have been in the top three Australian centres this weekend,” Tucker said.

“You had Dylan Riley playing for Japan and he had a blinder and [Frankston born] Sione Tuipulotu, who had a really good game for Scotland here.

“Without wanting to be the dinosaur, when you’re looking at a point of difference player – probably like a Tim Horan or someone like that – that backline is missing some magic whether it’s from Foley or whether it’s from an inside centre.”

He pointed to the lead up to the second Scotland try where the backline was in a “complete mess” before losing the ball.

“That’s not a precision Australian side. The Australia that used to go to the northern hemisphere would have this confidence they’d be the silky best backline going into the UK, but that’s not the case.

“Now there’s some clumsiness there that or lack of precision. And they’ve really got to get some of those things sorted out. We haven’t got that magical player in the midfield yet.”

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would we be lucky when the opposition is pinged for illegal play? Far too often the Wallabies are the side beaten by penalty goals and I don't think too many of those winners are considered to be lucky.
BR: if you don't think the 10 missing that kick from that distance is not luck - I'd like to know your idea of luck?

We were crap at the breakdown in the first half also lucky we didn't end up behind at the 40mins. The guys fought well but the execution and taking of chances was poor. A big improvement needed to come out of this tour 3-5. Love to be proven wrong.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
“He might not have been in the top three Australian centres this weekend,” Tucker said.

“You had Dylan Riley playing for Japan and he had a blinder and [Frankston born] Sione Tuipulotu, who had a really good game for Scotland here.
Tuipulotu was fkn awful, what game did he watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.