• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If he picks the best team every week, how do we find out who should be the 24-31 players in the squad?

Ok, let's go this approach. We all know the 15 or there abouts. Means the RC we need to find the rest of the squad. So my NEW proposed first test team is:

15 Kurtley Beale
14 Nick Cummins
13 Samu Kerevi
12 Christian Lealiifano
11 Drew Mitchell
10 Matt Giteau
9 Nick Stirzaker
8 Lotepi Timani
7 Liam Gill
6 Luke Jones
5 Adam Coleman
4 Dave Dennis
3 Laurie Weeks
2 Tolu Latu
1 Tom Smith

16 Saia Fainga'a
17 Paul Alo-Emile
18 Benn Robinson
19 Rory Arnold
20 George Smith
21 Nick White
22 Bernard Foley
23 Dane Haylett-Petty

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't be excluding the whole 23. Just resting some important players. No reason why guys like Cummins, Lealiifano, Timani, Dennis, Weeks, Latu, Alo-Emile, Robinson, Arnold, Smith, Haylett-Petty and Stizaker should get a go.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't we really only care about Kepu and Cooper?

Genia, Horwill and Palu can move on..

well clearly you don't. But they would be handy safety nets. If I was Cheika I would resign from the Tahs immediately but not before I'd instructed them to lay down in the game v the Reds, but I'd also be making sure as many players as possible were eligible for selection.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd think Palu (54) and Genia (58) would get there anyway without factoring in their situation, they'll get 6 and 2 caps easily as long as they're not injured. Horwill (58) on the other hand will struggle to get picked and I can't see any reason he should get picked for the sake of getting him 2 more caps. We've got good young locks coming through (Skelton, Jones, Coleman, Arnold) - I don't see Horwill being required next year and beyond, he's also not going to get better.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Horwill is the only player in that 50-60 test bracket that could struggle to make it to 60 tests even if healthy unless he's picked purely for the point of getting to 60 games.

Everyone else should be in the matchday 23 enough to get there if they remain healthy. There's obviously no certainty that Cooper and Palu will be able to stay healthy.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Soo I'm not Michael Chieka (SURPRISE!) however I'd run 2 slightly different teams in the first two games and give them a chance to show what they've got. I've basically gone with my Probables v BOKS and Possibles v PUMAS.

BOKS:
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Skelton
6. Fardy
7. Pockok
8. Higgers

9. Phipps
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
11. Mitchell
12. To'omua
13. Tevita
14. Speight
15. Falou

16. Hanson
17. Sio
18. Holmes
19. Jones
20. Hooper
21. Palu / Genia
22. Gitea / Lilo
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

PUMAS
1. Sio
2. Hanson
3. Holmes
4. Jones
5. Horwill
6. McCalman
7. Hooper
8. Palu

9. Genia
10. To'omua
11. Horne
12. Gitea
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Tomane
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Kepu
19. Simmons
20. Pockok
21. Phipps / Higgers
22. QC (Quade Cooper) / QC (Quade Cooper)
23. Tevita
------------------------

Notes:
# I've used 30 players here, well and truly aware that is a large number for 2 TRC games. If it's not done in the first 2 games then when?
# I feel that the front rows speak for themselves. Pretty much group consensus. I don't think Taf will be right, if he is by some miracle I'd still think about resting him for one of these games.
# Locks in the BOKS team are form Super Rugby Locks. PUMAS is reflecting what I feel will be our backup locking combo. Set piece & experience is incredibly important at RWC hence I've thrown Horwill in. Feel like his form is on the up.
# I've gone with 2 balanced back rows, the BOKS is my preferred one at this stage. I feel they complement each other perfectly. This can be tweaked for higher work rate, ball carriers, physicality etc depending on game plan.
# Halves Phipps and Genia IMO our halves for the WC.
# 10s QC (Quade Cooper) with first shot, I believe he can be a true point of difference for the Wallabies. To'omua starting PUMAS as I would very much like to see a To'omua/Gits 10/12 combination. Many will note no Foley here. Basically just because Cheika knows exactly what he brings already. I think Cheik will select Foley as his number 1 flyhalf.
# Centres, again I feel they speak for themselves. QC (Quade Cooper)/To'omua/Tevita complement each other very well. As do To'omua/Gitea/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
# Back 3. Contentious with Mitchell. Basically want to see if he can perform at this level. I guess they will know this after training camps but nothing like the fire itself. He is our most well rounded and experienced back 3 player. The rest speak for themselves. Tomane just snuck in(on his last couple games) on second thought pushing JOC (James O'Connor) to 15. I am still very worried about Tomane's defensive reads and his ability under the high ball.
# I don't feel a world cup year is the time to blood new players hence no Kerevi, DHP, Cummins(lock), Latu, Arnold, Vaea, Debrecz, etc. They would have to be completely outplaying all others in their position to consider it. Kerevi would be the only one I consider however his defense and history of injuries work against him after his 1st full starting Super Rugby season. Don't think his body would be up to it.

So that's my current crack at the first 2 games. Obviously all players would have to be fit and well. Now, criticise away!!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The way forward is clearly to get the online rugby public to vote on who they think should be in the starting XV and the matchday 23 for the Wallabies. The coach then needs to work with what the public serves up.

If the public picks two loose head props to start and the coach can't make that work, then the coach should be sacked.

I'd be more interested in on-line voting for the ABs and Saffas rather than the Wallabies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitchell doesn't need to prove himself at all, we all know how good he was here, his last few years were injury plagued but he finally has got his body right. Just needed a demonstration that he's still got it which he did.

He should feature for Toulon in the Top 14 semi and final. Should be on Eurosport.

He's a genuine finisher, good defender, experienced, can kick, play fullback and performed in big games.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
It'll be interesting to see if Cooper makes the 10 spot.
More dangerous than Foley, that is for sure, but not 100% sure he can't be pressured into cracking again - at least by either SAF or NZ.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mitchell doesn't need to prove himself at all, we all know how good he was here, his last few years were injury plagued but he finally has got his body right. Just needed a demonstration that he's still got it which he did.

He should feature for Toulon in the Top 14 semi and final. Should be on Eurosport.

He's a genuine finisher, good defender, experienced, can kick, play fullback and performed in big games.

I agree with all you say about Mitchell, @Qwerty, except that I don't think we know how his form compares with the form of his local opposition for a spot. If he has come good, he would be an asset, but I am far from convinced that form in the NH is as good as form in the Super comp. Too many hacks here go over there and become almost overnight sensations. Too few of the better players come back and show they have the same good form they might have had before going o/s.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
One thing I'll say about Foley is that his error rate actually isn't that low.

Foley's strength is his running and support game. Foley is a deceptively strong runner. He's also really improved his kicking game over what it was a few years ago. His game management is merely OK for me.

Cooper is a better game manager, runner of a backline and passer. He does (or did) come with more errors, but he can do things no other 10 playing right now can do.

Incidentally, Foley's form this year has been pretty average, particularly compared to last year. This website's rating of the 10s is interesting.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...st5r--rating-super-rugbys-playmakers--week-16

Will depend on what Cheika wants. I'd go with Cooper if he plays well the next two games, but I suspect Cheika will stick with Foley.

T

TOCC

You mean the failure that involved us being a bees dick away from winning a RWC that we had no business being anywhere near?

Yet Australia didn't win....

Did you watch the games, firstly scrummaging earns greater scrutiny in 2015 then 2003 and secondly the laws/interpretations have negatively impacted on a open side flankers pilfering ability in tackles and rucks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not putting their best 15 out for ALL RC games would be a huge mistake for the Wallabies. The RC is the only silverware the Wallabies have a reasonable chance of winning. South Africa always send a B team abroad in RWC years. Argentina away and NZ in Sydney. It's unlikely yet far more likely than anything else and winning something would be at least some consolation for last years results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.