• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's certainly an area where he has matured quite a bit. He doesn't try to make the miracle play as often now and does a good job of bringing the other players into the game. Let's face it, we've got some real weapons out in that backline (always have really) and what we want from our 10 is to make best use of them, as well as being a running threat in his own right. I think we're in good hands with QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley.

I don't see Foley managing his back-line was well as Cooper. He doesn't seem to be doing as much talking on the field. Seems to me like Foley feeds off the individual running games of Folau, Beale rather then the other way around.

Hopefully I am wrong.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
[quote highlander35, post: 748981, member: 8102"]8 opensides!

1. G. Smith
2. D. Pocock
3. M. Hodgeson
4. J. Butler
5. L. Gill
6. S. McMahon
7. M. Hooper
8. C. Fainga’a[/quote]

I cannot support your selections here.
Smith should be at 7.
Or 8.
He's not a prop.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
My team for this game:-

1.Slipper
2.Moore
3.Holmes
4.Simmons
5.Skelton
6.Higgers
7.Pocock
8.McCalman

9.Phipps
10.Foley
11.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12.To'omua
13.Kuridrani
14.Speight
15.Folau

16. Hanson
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Jones/Timani
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Horne

Squad members outside the team: O'Connor, White, Lilo, Mitchell, Giteau, Palu, Horwill, Arnold, Higgers, Gill, Timani, Alexander, TPN, Robinson,

I really struggled to pick the Backrow and bench. So many quality options which is a really nice problem to have. lots of decent competition at 6 and 8. Much depends on what tactics you want to use.

- I'm tempted to pick Higgers at 6 because I think you can afford to play a slightly more dynamic pack against the boks, plus I'd like to see what impact he has. I'd much prefer Jones or Fardy against the likes of England / Wales. At Suncorp stadium, first game of the year, I'd go all out attack. With Higgers and Skelton you have two of the best tackling busting / line breaking forwards in Super Rugby. You couple them with Pocock and McCalman who give you a strong presence at the ruck. I'd go with Jones on the bench to give him some experience. Still not sure that he's big enough to be a reserve lock against some of the better sides - Timani might be a better option.

- I'd rest TPN, Palu and Fardy for the All Blacks. I'd give Holmes a start to see how he fairs.

By tomorrow I'll probably have changed my mind completely.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't see Foley managing his back-line was well as Cooper. He doesn't seem to be doing as much talking on the field. Seems to me like Foley feeds off the individual running games of Folau, Beale rather then the other way around.

Hopefully I am wrong.

My first choice would be Cooper, no doubt. However, I don't think we lose a great deal with Foley out there either. He doesn't quite have the passing game that QC (Quade Cooper) does, but I'd argue his supporting lines are better. It'll be horses for courses I think.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My first choice would be Cooper, no doubt. However, I don't think we lose a great deal with Foley out there either. He doesn't quite have the passing game that QC (Quade Cooper) does, but I'd argue his supporting lines are better. It'll be horses for courses I think.

His support lines are superb. But then again you need players breaking the line otherwise he has no-one too support. It's an ironic trade off, probably have more players breaking the line with Cooper then Foley but then Foley would feed off them better with his support play.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
The Qantas Wallabies side to play England for the Cook Cup at Twickenham on Saturday 29 November is:

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds- 62 Tests)
2. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds – 35 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs – 51 Tests)
4. Sam Carter (ACT Brumbies – 10 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds – 49 Tests)
6. Sean McMahon (Melbourne Rebels – 2 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (c - NSW Waratahs – 41 Tests)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force – 37 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs – 27 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs – 17 Tests)
11. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs – 24 Tests)
12. Matt To'omua (ACT Brumbies – 20 Tests)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs – 103 Tests)
14. Henry Speight (ACT Brumbies – 1 Test)
15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs – 28 Tests)

Using the above team as a starting point I would pick the following;

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

4 changes to the pack and 1 to the backline

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think you are pretty much on the money there. Cheika seems to value incumbency and make as few changes as possible. The injury enforced incumbents returning and likely to slot back in are:
Moore at 2
Fardy at 6
Kuridrani at 13

Others:
Palu - I reckon McCalman won the starting 8 jersey off him last year.
Pocock - many would argue he is the incumbent returning but he's simply had too long off and now needs to win the 7 jersey back from Hooper
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - could take one of the wing spots
Carter unavailable, and in any case Skelton likely to start.

6/2 bench

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
[quote highlander35, post: 748981, member: 8102"]8 opensides!

1. G. Smith
2. D. Pocock
3. M. Hodgeson
4. J. Butler
5. L. Gill
6. S. McMahon
7. M. Hooper
8. C. Fainga’a

Smith should be at 7.
Or 8.
He's not a prop.[/quote]

and hooper should be at 2. He played 80 minutes for there for the tahs last week

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Smith should be at 7.
Or 8.
He's not a prop.

and hooper should be at 2. He played 80 minutes for there for the tahs last week[/quote]

Need a 7 that's on the ball, this is a very loose pack. A ruck monster would restore some balance.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My team for this game:-

1.Slipper
2.Moore
3.Holmes
4.Simmons
5.Skelton
6.Higgers
7.Pocock
8.McCalman

9.Phipps
10.Foley
11.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12.To'omua
13.Kuridrani
14.Speight
15.Folau

16. Hanson
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Jones/Timani
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Cooper
23. Horne

Squad members outside the team: O'Connor, White, Lilo, Mitchell, Giteau, Palu, Horwill, Arnold, Higgers, Gill, Timani, Alexander, TPN, Robinson,

I really struggled to pick the Backrow and bench. So many quality options which is a really nice problem to have. lots of decent competition at 6 and 8. Much depends on what tactics you want to use.

- I'm tempted to pick Higgers at 6 because I think you can afford to play a slightly more dynamic pack against the boks, plus I'd like to see what impact he has. I'd much prefer Jones or Fardy against the likes of England / Wales. At Suncorp stadium, first game of the year, I'd go all out attack. With Higgers and Skelton you have two of the best tackling busting / line breaking forwards in Super Rugby. You couple them with Pocock and McCalman who give you a strong presence at the ruck. I'd go with Jones on the bench to give him some experience. Still not sure that he's big enough to be a reserve lock against some of the better sides - Timani might be a better option.

- I'd rest TPN, Palu and Fardy for the All Blacks. I'd give Holmes a start to see how he fairs.

By tomorrow I'll probably have changed my mind completely.
Yeah - might be best if you do. No Fardy in the starters. bench or wider squad and two Higgers. And 37 players total - need to cull about 6 of them to get down to the proper numbers.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah - might be best if you do. No Fardy in the starters. bench or wider squad and two Higgers. And 37 players total - need to cull about 6 of them to get down to the proper numbers.

ha. Yeh on reflection, only one higgers in the squad.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
fyi I see fardy as our best 6. But with limited time before the world cup and almost no throw away games there needs to be some rotation (however difficult). In my experience the Boks is a good opportunity to play a guy like higgers before the wc. I still believe the brumbies will come good in the finals and fa Eddy might need a recharge before the kiwis

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
fyi I see fardy as our best 6. But with limited time before the world cup and almost no throw away games there needs to be some rotation (however difficult). In my experience the Boks is a good opportunity to play a guy like higgers before the wc. I still believe the brumbies will come good in the finals and fa Eddy might need a recharge before the kiwis

So you're saying in a round about way that the Brumbies will make it to the final again this year and Fards will be playing every weekend leading into the RC. I like it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Re #6 - Fardy has the spot to lose by virtue of his Test experience last few years and he is doing the job this year; Jones has the stats to make a claim, and Dennis would be the next on form, albeit playing at lock for the Tahs. I think Higginbotham has great utility appeal in the squad as a 6/8 cover. Really like to see Jones get a go in the RC, not too worried if we had to go with any of the 4 mentioned as our #6 though.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Higginbotham is ideal in the last 20 minutes when the game is looser.
Kind of like (but not exactly) how the ABs like Beauden Barrett to come on in the last 20 because he needs a bit more space to operate in.

Reactions: BDA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd like to see Jones given a crack at lock during the RC to see how he goes............

I think we're pretty well covered at 6 with Fardy, and then the likes of Jones, Higgers, McCalman, Dennis, or even McMahon capable of playing there.........

If Jones can make the transition as a test lock then it might be worth taking both he and Dennis to the RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom