• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
The calls for the 'harlem globetrotter' Cooper, and Giteau to be thrown on the scrap heap is definitely a kneejerk reaction when they were doing what they could with the ball they got in the first half notably.

Based on my first viewing of that game - without looking at any stats to substantiate my claims - I thought Skelton, Higgers, and perhaps Kepu were coming up second best against their

Totally agree...... That Harlem globe trotting inside 22, is what you can expect. Too risky!!

Would like to see a replay of it ... Seemed like sheer madness.

To'omua should be given a try at 10. And phitts, phibbs, whatever his name .... No way ... Surely there is a better 9 ... How was that sticking an arm out defence

Either way will be interested to see next starting 15 ... We might have won the game, but tell you what boks have some awesome players, and will be a force at the rwc... How was that centre!!

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Hooper was outstanding, especially when he put Burger on his rump to really put us in the game. That said, I want to see Pocock on all game. We lost something without having a scavenger in the ruck and I think he really turned it for us. Losing some size doesn't bother me when both play with mongrel like that and it beats Higginbotham (who was worse than useless).

To'omua should be at 10/12. I really think Cooper & To'omua are the best 10/12 because of how direct To'omua can be and that they can interchange a bit. That said Giteau wasn't terrible, but not sure the experiment should continue.

Slipper wasn't at his last year best, while I thought Sio and Holmes were excellent. Kepu had an off night but he's shown he can be good in scrum and loose play. Wouldn't be too quick to out him.

A lot of negativity on here during the game but I think we actually played well for a lot of the game. We definitely missed having a breakdown presence, but outside of two tries on the sides of half time the Boks didn't look like doing much of anything. The Etzebeth try was 1 in 100, and as an unashamed Eben fan it was good to see the big fella go over.

If a few passes go to hand (Giteau to Folau, Cooper to Kuridrani amongst others), and we tighten up our breakdown (BduP stole our ball at least 3 times in the attacking 22) I can see us getting a BP and singing Quade's praises. The Wallabies created way more chances than we did last year and I'll take a lot of positives out of tonight moving forward.

Not looking to get too ahead - but beat the Argies next week and we could be playing for the TRC against the ABs in a few weeks time. Even better if the Boks take a bit of anger out on the ABs in the Republic.

Reactions: TSR

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Question on the scrum. Was it our reserve props who were just that bit better or was it the reserve Bok props that were just that bit worse, or maybe a bit of both.

On the plus side of the scrums, even though the Boks looked like they had the edge I was happy at least with the low amount of collapses. The Benns would have fell apart. Maybe we are 5-10% weaker as a pack but the props do a good job not to collapse half the time.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
@TWAS

Isn't that what I said?

He's no Messiah. Few fans would have picked a 32 year old "debutant" to start against the Boks

I was just pointing out that he was much better behind a better, second half pack, and didn't do too badly in the end.

T

Train Without a Station

What good is a 12 that turns over possession when we don't have good ball? He needs to be the go to man to get us forward when it's stagnant.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Surprised by the hate for Giteau. Thought he had a fine game, looked fairly sharp given his absence from the set up, and there were more positive signs than not. If anything Cooper was the one who wasn't up to it. I'd like to see:

10. To'omua
12. Giteau

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
You forgot the video ref!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't understand your issue with this. It was a clear try. He obviously got it down and the overhead shot confirmed it was over the line. It's a try every time, unless George Ayoub is the TMO.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
@ Seb

The reserve Bok front row is the expected future front row, Particularly the TH, so we were up against a decent oppo by any measure.

I was thrilled that when Slipper was tiring there (penalty?) that we were able to bring on Sio and he was rock-solid.

Same for Holmes.

How good did that feel!

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
We definitely can't play Skelton with Hooper and Pocock either so maybe he can take his spot. ;)

can't play Skelton at all. He was fucked after the 15min. Struggled to get on side for line out and scrum. Looked over weight and unfit from kick off.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
He had a decent game champ despite what you think. It was their first solid hit out and were trying some new combinations and structures. Some they executed and were more effectively than others but at the end of the day the got the job done. Every player has "gaps in his game" but what players like Giteau, Cooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) bring to the table is a hell of a lot more than any "gaps" or short comings. It is vey easy to point out a bad pass, missed tackle or dropped ball but what is much harder to identify during a match is the positive impact that these guys have in terms of organizational skills and the confidence that they impart on the players around them. As was widely touted, this was a very experienced wallaby team in terms of caps and that showed through tonight. I would hope that Cheika doesn't do as many here are suggesting and rush back all the same faces and combination we have been watching for the last few years.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tonight showed the case for dual opensides. I thought Fardy and Higgers were both disappointing, and Pocock and Hooper both immense.

I put a lot of the Cooper-Genia issues down to rust. Cooper has been carrying injuries, and is generally short of a run. Gits hasn't played rugby in a while, and hasn't played with any of these blokes for 4 years.

We all knew To'omua is our best 12, but it was worth seeing Giteau given a shot. MT will surely start at the RWC, but Gits could be a handy bench option.

But the real worry was the tight 5. Slipper, Simmons, Skelton looked well off the pace. Kepu not much better, and I thought Moore was below his best as well. The first half scrums were a shambles.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Pulling this account out of dormancy to throw in my 5c worth on the Giteau issue. I'll be upfront. I am an unabashed Giteau fan. I was very pleased to see him in the squad, and even moreso get a run on in this team. Having said that...

He showed one glimpse tonight of what he could do, a lovely clean pair of heels. But he also had a lot of mistakes. Some which may be put down to what would essentially be 'first game' nerves after such a long time out. But others not.

For me, he looks like a good bench option who can cover 10/12... BUT, if that's his role, I honestly can not convince myself that he'd be any better than Christian Leali'ifano
(Unless, of course, you go one step further and look at Leali'ifano in starting XV...!)

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
@TWAS

On the assumption that reply is for my question, then I agree

Not one of us would have picked Gits first up...

I was merely pointing out that he did OK, and that the perceived competition has pulled out the best of at least one other player (To'omua). So, there was a massive benefit there.

For the record though, I'd give him another go

That right fake/step was a thing of beauty.

G

galumay

For all of those who are calling for Cooper & Giteau to be benched...It was step in the right direction and I am sure the boys are going to build on tonight's effort.

As I said, invert the result and see how you feel, that was nothing short of a miracle we won that game. There will be plenty of changes for next week. I reckon QC (Quade Cooper) will be gone for sure, WS just not up to it, gone, WG gone, MG will probably be given another chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So much criticism of the backs. Especially with Gits and Cooper.

The biggest issue was breakdown accuracy. The Boks weren't committing players (until poey came on) but they still managed a shit load of turnovers from very poor clean outs by us.

Also no go-forward from any of the forwards. I think Hooper and Folau are the only guys who are consistently winning most of their collisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.