• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks II, Allianz Stadium 7:35pm 03/09/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
First thoughts:

The Boks played great. I think we forgot how good they really are. They dominated the physical contest and breakdown. Kicked well. Played hard. A typical Bok win. Reminded me of the RWC final actually, we never looked in it. I swear they must have 100kg+ on our pack.

I don't think our injuries really played a part. Sure it didn't help, but having Cooper, or Lolesio fit would not have helped. The backs had zero opportunity. Not even Barret, Mounga, Dan Carter, Sexton or anyone could win a game from that.

Likewise, the ref was so god damn trigger happy, really ruining a good spectacle for the viewers. But again, no ref would have saved us.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it kind of is coaching isn’t it? I mean at this level your key role as a coach is to ensure the players are ready did the game they are playing. We weren’t clearly.
I think it is. In the modern era a coach has a bunch of support staff to work on the technical aspects so the coach can concentrate on forming a game plan, getting the players to execute it and be mentally switched on. In that game we were lacking in those departments

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I expect Nic White gone next week. He's had a few poor tests now this season, so it's time to start another - probably Gordon.

So much for Laurie Fisher bringing his breakdown expertise to the team. He has his work cut out for him.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not surprised at the result but how the Boks got there was a surprise. They were totally switched on from start to end.
My thoughts are:
Positives. Arnold, Holloway played much better and Valentini had one of the best games (as a 6!!!) I have seen him play, Front row held up although I thought several of FF (Folau Fainga'a) throws were down our line again! The backs looked capable but rarely got any go-forward ball, the D was OK and the scrum and lineout were better. Hodge played very well as did Ikitau, Kellaway will be better for the run.
Negatives. The Breakdown was the worst for a while, we were beaten to it, at it and after it Fraser was the exception but one man cannot win the ruck. Kicking was not great and dealing with highball seemed to be a mess, Hodge excepted.
I thought Rennie sent the wrong message selecting the same team, we have a tendency over the last 15 years to sit on our arses after a good win.

The bottom line for me was the Boks did exactly what I and several here thought they would and we would have done had we been beaten in the first. The problem is in motivation and being calm under pressure.
I have seen us play like the Boks did a couple of times and when a team is in that zone as the Boks were last night it is almost impossible to stop them. They were clinical, cynical and vicious in their execution. Congratulations to them but the RC goes on and the Wallabies were not as bad as many here think.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I expect Nic White gone next week. He's had a few poor tests now this season, so it's time to start another - probably Gordon.

So much for Laurie Fisher bringing his breakdown expertise to the team. He has his work cut out for him.
He looked dejected in the box in the second half. If Laurie can fix our long-term problem ie the breakdown then he is close to God!

tragic

John Solomon (38)
There were some positives. The set piece was much better and on par with the boks set piece.
Koros stuff up aside I thought they took the high ball barrage fairly well.
The issue was the subsequent rucks/turnovers and getting driven off the ball. The retreating/lazy runners didn’t run as good a blocking line and the forwards were not physical enough at the breakdown.
Usual story - Complete opposite of last week which was the outlier unfortunately.
Toss a coin and let’s see what game we bring to bled 1.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Arnold and Holloway were ineffective. Swain had more influence when he came in. We got seriously touched up at the coal face. Nick White looked rattled, presumably by the attention he received.
Tom Wright once again took some poor options deep in our half. I would like to see Kellaway start with Wright on the bench or maybe even given a break with Petaia coming on to the pine.
We just dont have the power to reject the game the Boks can bring in that regard. Not sure how to fix that but the likes of a fit and firing TT may help.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
A question for Pfitzy or other refs.

Philiph was YC after a try and to be fair SA 15 was YC for a failed intercept after a try was scored.

In other games, teams on final warning and score against under a penalty advantage. However player remains on field as try is scored. Is this a change in approach?

Also how is foul play after a try dealt with? We go back and reverse other decisions.

A try scored on bell, the attacking team can basically do whatever you want as it won’t impact the try scored as long as you are more than try in front.

This is next level complicated going back in play, when and how far?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Will be interesting to see if white gets the starting role for Bled 1. Rennie made a comment post match that he thought Gordon played very well when he moved to 9.
He also specifically criticised Whites box kicking when Hodge can roost it 70m up the centre and make them play it out of their 22.
Sounded like a hint of a change…
Did Rennie realise this during the game?

Surely he can communicate this observation to the players during breaks in play. If the plan does not change after he tells them to change then pull the player off the field and drop him next week.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought Arnold was pretty effective in disrupting the SA maul. O'Keeffe seemed to love giving them plenty of time to use it after it become stationary.

I think I would have brought Samu on earlier for Fraser or even switched them when I saw how greasy it was at kick off. Fraser was/is a bit small for a power game like the Boks brought last night compared to a dry track last weekend.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I

I find it weird people who leave games early. Each to their own, I stick out anything I pay to watch.

I'm not sure what to think of the game. We never got into it. We got beat by the World Champions..I'll just forgot it, we have the All Blacks soon so another game soon.

And if the results so far are anything to go by we should be in for a win.
I never leave early, I always hold out for a miracle come back or piece of history occurring in front of me.

Imagine if a tackle happened that was better than Korro's last week and you missed it because you can be bothered to stay.

Imagine if the Wallabies managed a win 10 minutes after the siren and you missed it.

Sport is a funny thing, the highlights are not always about who won or lost, it can be about seeing an individual piece of brilliance that lives with you forever and that you can tell other rugby fans that you were there to see it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Arnold was pretty effective in disrupting the SA maul. O'Keeffe seemed to love giving them plenty of time to use it after it become stationary.

I think I would have brought Samu on earlier for Fraser or even switched them when I saw how greasy it was at kick off. Fraser was/is a bit small for a power game like the Boks brought last night compared to a dry track last weekend.

I think our maul defense has greatly improved. I would hate to see the scoreline if that was not the case.

Sorry about our breakdown, and work in the contact zone, but then again, the big Saffa's always have an advantage in this area.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought the biggest difference between lats week and this week was how the referee officiated the ruck and breakdown vastly differently, the Saffas adjusted to this, and the Wallabies didn't. Ben O'Keefe is a painful official, but end of the day the Saffas played to that and Wallabies didn't.

Either the Wallabies didn't prepare through the week for that style of play or were too dumb to recognize/incapable of adjusting mid-match to the circumstances. In either case it's a poor reflection of the team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was in response to another post talking about SA fans whinging.

Not exactly.

They’d be whinging more if they stayed in the Republic and reaped what they sowed instead of running away to here and acting superior.

That is a statement about a people, in their native country and also more specifically about a specific cohort of those people as Australian migrants. On the whinging whistling booing Saffer crowd, I agree completely. I'm not disagreeing with that in the slightest.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Bro - we spanked them last week and the RC is on a knife edge. Chill.

We aren't world beaters and Nobody isn't lining up in the row anymore. Shit nights are gunna happen and the Boks are the world champions.

Always next week mate.

thanks, but nothing is going to change, I've been watching this happen for 20 years now (we were ok before that).
I never leave early, I always hold out for a miracle come back or piece of history occurring in front of me.

Imagine if a tackle happened that was better than Korro's last week and you missed it because you can be bothered to stay.

Imagine if the Wallabies managed a win 10 minutes after the siren and you missed it.

Sport is a funny thing, the highlights are not always about who won or lost, it can be about seeing an individual piece of brilliance that lives with you forever and that you can tell other rugby fans that you were there to see it.

Yes, and I've held out for that miracle for 60 years. I was there for Gregans tackle and probably most of the other great Wallaby moments. In all those situations there was still hope there (in Gregans case we were winning anyway). Anyone at the game last night could tell no miracle was going to happen. As Rennie said, "... we didn't fire a shot.." I appreciate all the comments alone the line of "don't loose the faith, we'll come good" but I've heard it too many times. Maybe by the Bledisloe I'll think different and be back into it.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Dry, I have my opinion, you yours. It was during a frustrating match in a response to another post. I wasn’t about to write a paragraph to articulate my thoughts during the game. I might have crossed a line, but I won’t going into my feelings on the subject as it’s more about the state of their country which doesn’t directly have anything to do with us getting bullied.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Arnold and Holloway were ineffective. Swain had more influence when he came in. We got seriously touched up at the coal face. Nick White looked rattled, presumably by the attention he received.
Tom Wright once again took some poor options deep in our half. I would like to see Kellaway start with Wright on the bench or maybe even given a break with Petaia coming on to the pine.
We just dont have the power to reject the game the Boks can bring in that regard. Not sure how to fix that but the likes of a fit and firing TT may help.
I think Bell will bring more impact than TT has in his last few games. Arnold and Holloway were far more involved than last week and name any forward (apart from McReight) who had any impact on that game?
In Case you are basing an argument on Valentini then he ran and hit hard continuously but the Boks made him as ineffective as the rest. One-off efforts don't win you a game against a team as motivated as the Boks were last night, we needed our forwards hunting in groups not ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.