• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Or Brisbane.

On topic: it will be an interesting match, no doubt. The wallabies have a lot of players yet to lock down a starting spot. Very hot and humid by the looks of it too. Could be a lot of handling issues to deal with.

That gel is THE telling point.

Any student of Marketing 101 can observe how poorly the Wallabies and Wallaby Tests are marketed here by the ARU, even when involving T1 competitors.

In Brisbane - one of only two main home towns for rugby in Australia - the last 2 Wallaby tests here were marketed really poorly, if at all, and, surprise surprise, Test numbers here are trending down, markedly. Suncorp - a superb city-centre rugby venue - is no longer selling out for AB or Saffa Tests.

The ARU's core marketing approaches tend heavily to using 'yesterday's heroics' and old ex-players from the 1990s, usually in a stuffy, antiquated messaging style that's a poor method for reaching and engaging with numbers-crucial younger age groups than those over 50. The ARU's marketing calibre - and budget - has been left in the dust by NRL, AFL, and A-League. Regrettable, but obviously true.

Well-intentioned posters here that think the ARU could have created and mastered a meticulous, well-researched, sophisticated strategy for optimising crowd numbers and media interest in the USA are sadly mistaken when we cannot begin to do this in our home country.

The best the ARU could do for USA 2015 was to attempt, in their own shaky and limited way, to follow the model the ABs used in 2014, and hope for the best. The result, in marketing and crowd numbers terms, will not be optimised, and is likely to be ordinary.

Reactions: gel

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
That gel is THE telling point.

Any student of Marketing 101 can observe how poorly the Wallabies and Wallaby Tests are marketed here by the ARU, even when involving T1 competitors.

In Brisbane - one of only two main home towns for rugby in Australia - the last 2 Wallaby tests here were marketed really poorly, if at all, and, surprise surprise, Test numbers here are trending down, markedly. Suncorp - a superb city-centre rugby venue - is no longer selling out for AB or Saffa Tests.

The ARU's core marketing approaches tend heavily to using 'yesterday's heroics' and old ex-players from the 1990s, usually in a stuffy, antiquated messaging style that's a poor method for reaching and engaging with numbers-crucial younger age groups than those over 50. The ARU's marketing calibre - and budget - has been left in the dust by NRL, AFL, and A-League. Regrettable, but obviously true.

Well-intentioned posters here that think the ARU could have created and mastered a meticulous, well-researched, sophisticated strategy for optimising crowd numbers and media interest in the USA are sadly mistaken when we cannot begin to do this in our home country.

The best the ARU could do for USA 2015 was to attempt, in their own shaky and limited way, to follow the model the ABs used in 2014, and hope for the best. The result, in marketing and crowd numbers terms, will not be optimised, and is likely to be ordinary.
I have to agree RH the ARU couldn't organise a F___k in brothel with a fist full of fifties as my old boss would have said. I know rugby was a amateur sport a few decades ago but please the people at the ARU/QRU/ NSWRU are not being paid penunets they have to do better.
Sorry for the off topic rant.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
If they went into this thinking 30k would be a resounding success then they wouldn't have played it at Soldier Field. The All Blacks game could have sold a lot more than 60k. It was sold out well in advance. It's a shame this game hasn't been promoted in the same way.

A couple of years ago a US Eagles match against Italy attracted 18,000 in Houston. I think it's disappointing if this game doesn't more than double that. It's in a bigger city, the Wallabies are a much bigger team, the US will be at full strength and well prepared for a change and it's just before the world cup. That should be pretty attractive to rugby fans and enough of a novelty for general sports fans. But perhaps the general sports fans in Chicago haven't heard about it.
Events arent only about maximising the percentage filled of a stadium.

They would have also considered the rental costs, availability and im sure other factors not mentioned.

30k is a lot more then 18k and keep in mind most of the fans are the same sort of us eagles rugby supporters.

Also for the general sports fan, there isnt the allure of the all blacks, nor is the game likely to have an upset like they may have hoped in a italy v us fixture. though i have no idea what the score was. Also getting pumped by NZ would have taken a bit out of the match as well.

By all means aim high, but I don't think a relatively good result should be criticized.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If they went into this thinking 30k would be a resounding success then they wouldn't have played it at Soldier Field. The All Blacks game could have sold a lot more than 60k. It was sold out well in advance. It's a shame this game hasn't been promoted in the same way.

A couple of years ago a US Eagles match against Italy attracted 18,000 in Houston. I think it's disappointing if this game doesn't more than double that. It's in a bigger city, the Wallabies are a much bigger team, the US will be at full strength and well prepared for a change and it's just before the world cup. That should be pretty attractive to rugby fans and enough of a novelty for general sports fans. But perhaps the general sports fans in Chicago haven't heard about it.

Yeah, but how many Aussies live in Chicago?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I doubt there's many Italians in Houston either. This match was never going to be filled with expats.

Honestly, a half full (and probably less than half full) stadium for a big match like this is not good. At this stage they should go to some local schools or something and give away a couple thousand tickets. Not sure why they ended the groupon deal either as it sold over 1000 tickets in a short space of time.

Next time the US host a major nation for a test they should probably hold it somewhere else by the sound of things. And they should price the tickets more reasonably. Absolutely ridiculous that the top seats for this match are US$200. No wonder they've barely sold any of them.

T

Train Without a Station

A big match like this?

The Wallabies in Australia drew less than 20k to face Argentina.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Well I doubt there's many Italians in Houston either. This match was never going to be filled with expats.

Honestly, a half full (and probably less than half full) stadium for a big match like this is not good. At this stage they should go to some local schools or something and give away a couple thousand tickets. Not sure why they ended the groupon deal either as it sold over 1000 tickets in a short space of time.

Next time the US host a major nation for a test they should probably hold it somewhere else by the sound of things. And they should price the tickets more reasonably. Absolutely ridiculous that the top seats for this match are US$200. No wonder they've barely sold any of them.

Re point 1, the venue, surely you're right. And only now in Australia for the Wallabies v England Tests in 2016 is the ARU finally realising that poorly filled stadia in Sydney and Melbourne for big Tests is a poor look and poor economics to boot. Accordingly, for near-on the first time these Tests will respectively be held in smaller stadia where they get sell-outs and good atmos vs the sad display of swathes of empty rows.

Re point 2, ticket prices, you're right again, $200 for good seats in Chicago to watch a team (in a niche-niche sport) that is way less revered and known than the ABs, has zero relationship to a Chicago base, and where you want good crowd numbers, is just madness, and worse, it will not maximise gross income either.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a big match in America. The 2nd biggest rugby match in their history. It's also a game in which the ARU had a profit share agreement that could have brought in a substantial amount of money.

And less than 20k to face Argentina is also disappointing. But Australia hosts several bigger rugby tests every year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You make it sound like the Wallabies and the ARU can have a significant impact on the number of fans that turn up to a game in the USA. I really don't think that is the case.

At the end of the day, the Wallabies can make a couple of public appearances (where they will be recognised by almost no one), but most of the promotion and ability to draw crowds is going to come down to USA Rugby. The Eagles' ability to draw fans to watch them play is going be the biggest driver. Of the Eagles' fans around the US it will come down to how many are drawn to travelling to Chicago to watch the Eagles play the Wallabies. As previous comments have indicated many fans would have spent their travel money seeing the Eagles play the All Blacks last year.

I think the sports fan who is just itching to try out something new is a bit of a myth. There will be some but I don't believe they exist in any significant numbers to have a big impact on the crowd.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
You make it sound like the Wallabies and the ARU can have a significant impact on the number of fans that turn up to a game in the USA. I really don't think that is the case.

I think the sports fan who is just itching to try out something new is a bit of a myth. There will be some but I don't believe they exist in any significant numbers to have a big impact on the crowd.

I don't think they have to do a lot of public appearances, but they should have done a lot more media this week and PR stuff with the existing sports teams in Chicago. With special offers for the fans of those teams. That's stuff the ARU could have implemented because they are a major professional sports team and 2 time world champions. The US Eagles don't have the same kind of credibility.

A lot of people go to events that are perceived as a big deal or a special event even if they aren't regular fans of the sport. Just look at the crowds in Sydney for that exhibition NFL game a few years ago and those Major League Baseball games last year. Most people were curious general sports fans. The ARU and USA Rugby could have done a lot more to help create this perception in Chicago. From all reports there has been pretty much zero marketing in Chicago. They also could have priced the tickets a lot more realistically.

It's true that the Wallabies don't have the brand of the All Blacks, but they'll never get close with this sort of effort. It's an opportunity wasted IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think they have to do a lot of public appearances, but they should have done a lot more media this week and PR stuff with the existing sports teams in Chicago. With special offers for the fans of those teams. That's stuff the ARU could have implemented because they are a major professional sports team and 2 time world champions. The US Eagles don't have the same kind of credibility.

A lot of people go to events that are perceived as a big deal or a special event even if they aren't regular fans of the sport. Just look at the crowds in Sydney for that exhibition NFL game a few years ago and those Major League Baseball games last year. Most people were curious general sports fans. The ARU and USA Rugby could have done a lot more to help create this perception in Chicago. From all reports there has been pretty much zero marketing in Chicago. They also could have priced the tickets a lot more realistically.

It's true that the Wallabies don't have the brand of the All Blacks, but they'll never get close with this sort of effort. It's an opportunity wasted IMO.

Why would the Chicago Bears, Cubs, White Sox or Blackhawks do a media appearance with the Wallabies? It would do absolutely nothing for their respective brands. At least the USA Eagles are American and can trade off that appeal.

I also disagree that the one off baseball, NFL or football matches (like when Real Madrid or Liverpool tour here in their preseason) are big draws for casual sports fans. I think you underestimate how big the followings of these leagues are in Australia and how there is nothing comparable that fans can see domestically. Those tickets are also generally very expensive which to my mind excludes the casual sports fans who are just keen to check out something new. They're a big deal because they're the only opportunity for fans to see that sort of event without travelling overseas.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
At this stage they should go to some local schools or something and give away a couple thousand tickets.

the only thing going for this is that you said schools. You'd be pretty miffed if you forked out full dollar only to find out others got it for free.

Pretty slippery slope tho, you run the risk of people not coughing up *knowing* they only have to wait to get discount tickets.

Northfleet

Frank Row (1)

Omar, you got it all wrong. Judging from Wallaby twitter feeds, Aussies know a lot about American sports. Avid American sports fans don't even know there is a Rugby World Cup. Braveheart nailed it. The 'let's check it out' sports fan does not exist. It took the entire US rugby community to fill Soldier Field. It was a special day, but extremely difficult to replicate. Rugby is growing, but it is still pretty obscure.

Status
Not open for further replies.