• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Got to say, it doesn't seem very well organised. Apparently the kick-off time was only released about a week ago.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
This 'Hayne-mania' should help give the crowd figure a little boost, even though it's a different code, most americans don't know the difference between rugby league and rugby union, and most think Hayne was a rugby player.

At this stage, the crowd is looking to be significantly lower then when the All Blacks played.

In the last day or two they've started offering half price tickets on certain promotions. If you look on the ticketmaster map there's big chunks of the stadium where you can buy tickets at discounted prices so long as you have some kind of promotional code.

A media blitz in Chicago the week leading up to the game in conjunction with discounted tickets should hopefully see a reasonable crowd.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This 'Hayne-mania' should help give the crowd figure a little boost, even though it's a different code, most americans don't know the difference between rugby league and rugby union, and most think Hayne was a rugby player.

At this stage, the crowd is looking to be significantly lower then when the All Blacks played.

Americans think that Hayne was a Wallaby haha. How nice it would have been. Jarryd would beat any tackler at test level easily

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The big thing (in my opinion as a perenially frustrated online advertiser) is that Hayne's highlights reel has almost become viral amongst American gridiron fans, and is being repeatedly posted on lots of frontline sports websites including the main network sites.

It may not be our code of rugby, but Americans don't know that, and it's a ridiculous highlights reel (and worth a watch by anyone). That will probably reach more Americans in a single day than all of AIG's advertising did. Maybe in a single hour.

If Hayne has another game of similar quality as his first two pre-season games then he'll become (however fleetingly) a sensation over there.

What's required to close the loop is sufficient Chicago sports fans knowing the game is on. Advertising isn't realistically going to achieve that. It has to be journalists, and sports bloggers.

Their journalists (like ours) are always looking for an angle. There's a clear-cut opportunity there to leverage social media and the Internet at very low cost to get this event sold.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm going to make a leftfield suggestion.

How do you cross-promote Hayne? Shamelessly. This is a huge social media opportunity. If the USA Eagles and the ARU are too prissy to do it, then why don't we?

I reckon I could get a list of US sports bloggers and journalists. We could send a G&GR press release to them all. Something like this:

Like Jarryd Hayne?
How about 30 Jarryd Haynes?
The USA Eagles are playing Australia in rugby at Soldier Field in Chicago on Saturday 5 September.
Both teams are preparing to play in the Rugby World Cup in England in September and October.
Australia is ranked 3rd in the world, after New Zealand and Ireland.
This isn't the same form of rugby that Hayne played. That's rugby league. This is the original, more violent version.
Australia's best player, Israel Folau, is a rugby league convert. Check out Izzy's highlights here.
Last year's game at Soldier Field against New Zealand was a sellout. Help us make this game a sellout too.

We have ten days. It would be a fun project.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm going to make a leftfield suggestion.

How do you cross-promote Hayne? Shamelessly. This is a huge social media opportunity. If the USA Eagles and the ARU are too prissy to do it, then why don't we?

I reckon I could get a list of US sports bloggers and journalists. We could send a G&GR press release to them all. Something like this:

We have ten days. It would be a fun project.

You are my hero hahaha. That would be GREAT. Thereafter you must be named CEO of ARU ;)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still anyone from the ARU, Qantas, BLK (Official sponsor of Eagles) or whatever has come to talk to Jarryd to promote the game?

Just like they did with Hugh Jackman. A simple message in Twitter can help so much or Is Jarryd a diehard Mungo supporter who hates Rugby Union?

I know that could spark a civil war among his followers but who cares. Also they should contact Nicole Kidman, she must have many followers from USA

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great idea Groucho! It'd also be great to have a post like that shared by the Chicago Bulls and Chicago Bears Facebook and Twitter accounts. The Bulls alone have almost 18 million followers on Facebook. Though hopefully the Wallabies are already organising some media opportunities with those teams.

The Wallabies will also be training at the Notre Dame university campus, home to one of the most famous college football teams - hopefully they can get some publicity there too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I just PM'd Gagger. We could run it on the front page if G&GR like the idea.

We'd reach out as fans.

let's do it. Want to run it? And then come up with a list of people to target on twitter.

I think we need to showcase Izzy and QC (Quade Cooper) (just use the video we used the other day) as they do the most amazing stuff.

Happy to run the article as soon as its done, and then we just need the approach to get it out to all and sundry.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
His defense. Surprisingly he made 2 tackles against the ABs but I can't forget his performance against Boks at Cape Town

Kurtley Beale sets up 2 tries from 2 touches against Argentina, then makes 2 try saving tackles against New Zealand at Eden Park when everybody else in the team forgot how to tackle. Honestly, who still thinks he isn't deserving of a spot?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
100% agree BUT only if he brings his A game

Everyone knows I 'love' QC (Quade Cooper), but, really, the hard truth is that something has gone very wrong for him, I suspect both mentally and physically. If we took his last say 10-15 Reds games, the resulting highlights reel would be a diminished shadow of the one posted here and elsewhere this week.

He's become a far more 'restrained' player, he dares less, he does less. The world told him 'you reckless fucker, get the Carlos Spencer crap out of your game'. For all sorts of reasons, he mostly obeyed, or his physical fragilities forced him to.

Whatever, that obedience and the 'newly responsible' player he's become has sadly left him delivering many of this his old risk patterns, but with the wondrous athletic dexterity, the brilliant sensing and use of space, the incredible, skilful stepping, more or less all gone.

I'd love to see him back as he was, as today, 2015, he's neither optimised himself as a a great Super player, or a great Test player. He's lost in a forced blandness that one cannot help but sense as unnatural to his innate ways.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Everyone knows I 'love' QC (Quade Cooper), but, really, the hard truth is that something has gone very wrong for him, I suspect both mentally and physically. If we took his last say 10-15 Reds games, the resulting highlights reel would be a diminished shadow of the one posted here and elsewhere this week.

He's become a far more 'restrained' player, he dares less, he does less. The world told him 'you reckless fucker, get the Carlos Spencer crap out of your game'. For all sorts of reasons, he mostly obeyed, or his physical fragilities forced him to.

Whatever, that obedience and the 'newly responsible' player he's become has sadly left him delivering many of this his old risk patterns, but with the wondrous athletic dexterity, the brilliant sensing and use of space, the incredible, skilful stepping, more or less all gone.

I'd love to see him back as he was, as today, 2015, he's neither optimised himself as a a great Super player, or a great Test player. He's lost in a forced blandness that one cannot help but sense as unnatural to his innate ways.

To be fair, I think he's been struggling with on-and-off injuries for a while now. How many games has he actually played this year?

Post injury, I think it takes a while to get your confidence back, and if your picking up minor niggling injuries on your return then that's only going to set-back your confidence further.

He seems to have regained full fitness now and really only needs is a couple of decent performances in a row to get his mojo back.

If you take a look at the wallabies training footage on youtube, I don't think he's lost his stepping abilities - and the comments from camp by other players and the great Stephen Larkham suggest he is looking very sharp.

IMO He is not far off from peaking. But whether that's in 2-3 games and playing great in the RWC or 6-7 games and misses the RWC is anyone's guess.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kurtley Beale sets up 2 tries from 2 touches against Argentina, then makes 2 try saving tackles against New Zealand at Eden Park when everybody else in the team forgot how to tackle. Honestly, who still thinks he isn't deserving of a spot?

Prior to the Test season I personally wouldn't have put him near a gold jersey, but give credit where credit is due, KB (Kurtley Beale) has proven he is a great impact player that's for sure.

Still wouldn't start him. 2 great defensive reads don't make him a good tackler.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

I think he's just banged up. He's had a lot of injuries over the last few years, most of them from pretty innocuous situations. Seems to have made him a lot more tentative. Whether he'll ever be able to get over that mentally I'm not sure. Some players never do.

Status
Not open for further replies.