• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
For the Welsh series this would be my 22.
1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Slipper
4.Pyle
5.Horwill
6.Higginbotham
7.Pocock
8.Palu
9.Genia
10.JOC (James O'Connor)
11.Ioane
12.Barnes
13.McCabe
14.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15.Beale

Res: 16.TPN 17.Kepu 18.Simmons 19.Elsom 20. White 21.Fainga'a 22.Morahan
Although with Deans as head coach it sought of takes the fun out of picking what I think is a gun team.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Argh, I guess if everyone else is doing it...

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Pyle
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. McCabe
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Mowen
19. Aulea
20. White
21. Fainga'a
22. Tomane

Very similar to yours Disco. Great minds...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good aritcle RH.

The Welsh boys are gonna be up for this tour and i will be surprised if they do not win at least one test.

L

laps

How can no one be naming Beale at 10? After he played the last 20 vs the Tahs and set up 2 tries, I thought he was phenomenal and would be a revelation for the Rebels. What happened next? He almost led them to victory over the bulls and beat the Crusaders.

Selectors would be mad not to put Beale at 10. Occonor 12

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Good aritcle RH.

The Welsh boys are gonna be up for this tour and i will be surprised if they do not win at least one test.

Agree. I was not quite aware how bad their record vs SH sides was until I read this (from the article above, my highlights):

Only twice have Wales ever beaten one of the big three in the southern hemisphere, having amassed a woeful record against Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in the last 25 years.

They have never beaten the All Blacks or South Africa outside Cardiff and their two victories against Tri Nations sides in the southern hemisphere both came against the Wallabies.

They beat Australia 19-16 at the Sydney Cricket Ground back in 1969 when the Beatles were still together and then again – just before Rick Astley’s Never Gonna Give You Up was topping the charts – during the inaugural World Cup in 1987 to finish third in the competition.

That dramatic last gasp 22-21 victory, thanks to Adrian Hadley’s try and Paul Thorburn’s magnificent touchline conversion, took place in Rotorua, New Zealand, against a Wallabies side who spent most of the game with 14 men after flanker David Codey was sent off.

Since then Wales have lost 50 of their last 54 games against the southern hemisphere superpowers. The four times Wales staved off defeat all came at the Millennium Stadium when they beat the Springboks at the ground’s opening match in 1999 before beating Australia in 2005 and 2008 and holding them six years ago in a 29-29 thriller.

Wales skills coach Jenkins, who was on the wrong end of a 56-25 and 42-3 hammering against the Aussies on his country’s 1996 tour Down Under, admitted their form against the three is woeful.

“It’s a dreadful record – not the best record at all is it? Not for a country of our stature in terms of where we are in the world,” the former Wales outside half said.

T

trophyhunter

How can no one be naming Beale at 10? After he played the last 20 vs the Tahs and set up 2 tries, I thought he was phenomenal and would be a revelation for the Rebels. What happened next? He almost led them to victory over the bulls and beat the Crusaders.

Selectors would be mad not to put Beale at 10. Occonor 12

I put him in at 10, for the same reasons you have given. Seems to have found his feet well there.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree. I was not quite aware how bad their record vs SH sides was until I read this (from the article above, my highlights):

We Celtic nations have very poor records against the big 3 from the SH. It's a real mental block for the players and for both Wales and Ireland losing their summer series wouldn't be too bad if they can win one of their 3 games. For Ireland it would be a first every victory over the ABs. For Wales it would be something to build on for a young group of players who haven't shown the fear of previous generations.

At the moment Wales and Aus are probably the 2 contenders for NZs crown as world no. 1 and WC holders and I think this tour could be a watershed. A decisive tour victory for either side will make them feel more confident about hunting down the ABs while a whitewash for either will lead to a lot of head scratching and tough questions to be answered.

I don't think that Aus will be whitewash, even though Wales are a very good side, but if it did happen Deans position may become untenable. For Wales their target will definitely be to win 1 and to them that will be a very successful tour, given their history against Aus. They just need something to build on and for those young guys to have the experience of beating a SH team in the SH.

For we Irish history says that we will be whitewashed by NZ. But that doesn't stop me hoping for that precious first victory over NZ. I'd gladly see Ireland lose 2/3 tests by 40+ points if we won the other 1 rather than lose all 3 by a single score.

This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting June tests windows for a long time.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1- Robinson
2- Moore
3- Kepu
4- Pyle/Sharpe/Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Higginbotham
7- Pocock
8- Palu
9- Genia
10- Cooper
11- Ioane
12- O'Connor (If fit)/McCabe
13- Fainga'a
14- Ashley-Cooper
15- Beale

Bench: Polota-Nau, Slipper, Pyle/Sharpe/Simmons, Dennis, White, Barnes, McCabe/Tomane

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Deans talking about the threat from Wales:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18075641

Coach Robbie Deans admits Australia wary of Wales
Australia coach Robbie Deans is wary of the threat Wales will pose in the Test series which kicks off on 9 June in Brisbane.

Wales caretaker coach Rob Howley has named four uncapped players in a 38-man training squad.
The Grand Slam champions play three Test matches against the Wallabies.

"After winning the Six Nations so impressively, there's no doubt that Wales see this tour as the chance to take the next step," Deans said.

"They were quite vocal about that at the end of the tournament, saying it was time they beat one of the major Southern Hemisphere nations.
"It was also clear, when we were in Cardiff last December for the James Bevan Trophy Test, that they believe that goal is within their reach."

Wales play the Barbarians before their three-Test tour of Australia, where they will play a midweek game against Super 15 outfit ACT Brumbies in Canberra.

The last time Wales beat the Wallabies on Australian soil was back in 1969.

Australia ran out comfortable 24-18 winners over Wales in Cardiff back in the autumn when the two sides last met. It was wing Shane Williams' final game of Test rugby for his country.

Wales finished fourth at last year's Rugby World Cup, losing the third and fourth play-off game to the Wallabies before going on to win the Grand Slam in the RBS 6 Nations.

"The core of the Welsh squad has been together for a long time, and they are used to being successful," Deans said.

"You only have to look at the settled nature of the squad they have named - there are very few injuries. The players all want to be on this trip. That, in itself, is a statement of their intent."

Howley has named Ospreys fly-half Dan Biggar and four uncapped players - Scarlets full-back Liam Williams, prop Rhodri Jones, Ospreys centre Ashley Beck and Cardiff Blues wing Harry Robinson - make the squad.

Injuries rule out centre Jamie Roberts and hooker Huw Bennett, while 15 of the squad will miss the Baa-Baas game at the Millennium Stadium to fly to Australia early to acclimatise for the first Test on 9 June.

And because Clermont Auvergne could be in the French Top 14 final that day, their Welsh full-back Lee Byrne is under consideration only for tour standby duty.

Ospreys lock Ian Evans will miss the first Test against the Wallabies to get married, but will be available for the second and third Tests.

Captain Sam Warburton is set to be part of the early party going to Australia. Martyn Williams is expected to win his 100th Wales cap coming off the bench against the Barbarians.

Along with Warburton, open-side Justin Tipuric will be part of the advance party to Australia.

The likelihood is Scarlets' Aaron Shingler, who made an impressive Wales debut in the Six Nations against Scotland, will start at seven against the Baa-Baas, with Williams on the bench.

Biggar has impressed recently, not least with his 25-point performance in the Ospreys' 45-10 victory over Munster to reach the Pro12 League final against Leinster.

The 22-year-old won the last of his nine caps against Australia in December, 2011's post-World Cup clash in Cardiff having seen Rhys Priestland overtake him in the Welsh pecking order.

The main injury concerns for Howley have been Scarlets hooker Matthew Rees, who has an ankle problem and the midfield options because of Roberts' knee injury.

Scarlets centre Jonathan Davies has been named after recovering from a hernia injury since the start of April, while Scarlet Scott Williams (shoulder) has been included despite struggling recently.

Ospreys centre Andrew Bishop is another to earn a recall, along with Scarlets back-five forward Josh Turnbull, former Newport Gwent Dragons wing Aled Brew and his ex-team-mate wing Will Harries.

Having been an unused and uncapped member of Wales' Six Nations squad, Beck has a chance to press his long-term midfield claims.

The Barbarians match will be Wales' first since they completed the Six Nations Grand Slam against France in March.
Howley was appointed caretaker coach for the summer after Warren Gatland, the Wales head coach, was ruled out after he fractured both his heels in a fall in his native New Zealand.

D

daz

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what chance Delve gets a call up to the Welsh squad? As a non-UK based player, is he eligible or not? Frankly, after his efforts this year another Welsh cap would be fitting reward.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what chance Delve gets a call up to the Welsh squad? As a non-UK based player, is he eligible or not? Frankly, after his efforts this year another Welsh cap would be fitting reward.

Non-UK based players are eligible for selection for Wales but they look to France and England first before Aus. Also Gatland has advised players playing outside Wales to ensure that they have in their contracts release for training camps and tours. I doubt Delve has this in his contract as he'd be well down the pecking order for a call up.

Wales have already named their 38 man squad for the Baa Baas game and the tour of Aus and Delve wasn't included and there's no indication he was even in consideration for it.

D

daz

Non-UK based players are eligible for selection for Wales but they look to France and England first before Aus. Also Gatland has advised players playing outside Wales to ensure that they have in their contracts release for training camps and tours. I doubt Delve has this in his contract as he'd be well down the pecking order for a call up.

Wales have already named their 38 man squad for the Baa Baas game and the tour of Aus and Delve wasn't included and there's no indication he was even in consideration for it.

Thanks Bardon. I pretty much guessed that Delve was not in consideration, but should an injury or two occur to key players in the Welsh squad, who knows? He is here and match fit.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
but should an injury or two occur to key players in the Welsh squad, who knows? He is here and match fit.

Very true and I would rather see him being called up rather than the likes of Andy Powell.

Reactions: daz

RedsFan21

Frank Row (1)
A possible lineup that reflects Beale's recent good form at 10 for the Rebels

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Hugh Pyle
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Kurtley Beale
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Pat McCabe
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Luke Jones
19. Ben Mowen
20. Liam Gill
21. Ben Lucas
22. Jesse Mogg

12 is arguably O'Connor's best position as he has space to run while also playmaking at times. McCabe at 13 can be used to run direct lines and reach the advantage line.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's an insight into how the Welsh players view the upcoming tour. I think that the word scalp might have been over used just a little bit:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17927715

Pressure on for Australia scalp, says Wales fly-half Priestland
Fly-half Rhys Priestland says Wales will take on Australia in the summer under increasing pressure to take a southern hemisphere scalp.

Priestland, 25, faces fresh competition from Ospreys rival Dan Biggar for the Wales number 10 jersey.

The 2012 Grand Slam-winner also faces Perpignan play-maker James Hook's continued challenge.

"There is added pressure now because every time we go on the field, people expect us to win," said Priestland.

"The nation wants a southern hemisphere scalp as well and, hopefully, we can get one before the autumn."

Wales' last win over one of the major southern hemisphere powers came in November 2008 when they beat the Wallabies 21-18 in Cardiff.

Warren Gatland's side have since lost three times to the Wallabies and face them four more times this year.

Robbie Deans' team beat Wales to 2011 Rugby World Cup bronze and followed up with a win in Cardiff in December's one-off Test.

They take on the Wallabies three times in June and host them again in November.

The Wallabies go into the games on 9, 16 and 23 June as reigning Tri-Nations champions.

Scarlets fly-half Priestland says Wales' Six Nations clean sweep has led to optimism among fans that is reflected in the squad's ambitions.

"As a squad we want a southern hemisphere scalp," said Priestland.

"We know what to expect because they have world class players and some of the most skilful players in world rugby," said Priestland.

"Any time you play against them, you have to be at your best otherwise they will cut you to pieces.

"We have an opportunity going down there, it will be tough.

"They have a few injuries and we have a few injuries so it's a good time to play them.

"You have to be at your best and hopefully we prepare well and give ourselves the best possible chance to get a southern hemisphere scalp."

Wales haven't won a Test in Australia since 1969 and will play four games on tour, including a match against Super 15 outfit ACT Brumbies on Tuesday, 12 June.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
At the moment Wales and Aus are probably the 2 contenders for NZs crown as world no. 1 and WC holders and I think this tour could be a watershed. A decisive tour victory for either side will make them feel more confident about hunting down the ABs while a whitewash for either will lead to a lot of head scratching and tough questions to be answered.

At the moment, Wales and Australia are not really anywhere near the All Blacks.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
It'll be good to see how Quade's form is the next two weekends, a much quicker return to the Wallaby 10 jumper would be an interesting development considering the injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom