• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
He's a powerful ball runner, but is still very inexperienced in defence. He's slowly learning, and could be a force for the Rebels next year,b ut is certainly not a Wallaby contender yet.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
Looking forward to this series. From a Welsh perspective I guess 1 win would be a success with the 2 other games being close. I would think Oz might settle for that as well. I can't see a Welsh series win so think the above is about where it will be. Jamie Roberts will be bit of a loss for us as he seems to get up for the tours. Gives a chance for the likes of Beck I guess. Some interesting selection problems for Wales as well with some in form players likely to miss out on starting spots such as Ryan Jones and Tipuric. Makes for a strong bench though which I think will be telling for both teams.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Fox Sports won't be showing the Wales v Barbarians match. Very disappointing, considering that the Wallabies play Wales. To be blunt, it's not good enough.

A

AlexH

Looking forward to this series. From a Welsh perspective I guess 1 win would be a success with the 2 other games being close. I would think Oz might settle for that as well. I can't see a Welsh series win so think the above is about where it will be. Jamie Roberts will be bit of a loss for us as he seems to get up for the tours. Gives a chance for the likes of Beck I guess. Some interesting selection problems for Wales as well with some in form players likely to miss out on starting spots such as Ryan Jones and Tipuric. Makes for a strong bench though which I think will be telling for both teams.

Australia are missing a handful of key players and have a few more, returning from injury, who have yet to play themselves back into form. I would not be surprised in the least if Wales took out the series.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jamie Roberts will be bit of a loss for us as he seems to get up for the tours.

I agree. Roberts is such a key player in the Welsh backline. He will always create room on the outside, as he always attracts multiple defenders. On crash ball, he always makes the gain line. However, the Welsh still have plenty of firepower in the backline to really worry us.

This will be a close series and could go either way. The good thing is that after playing Wales we should in no way be underdone going into the new and improved 'rugby championship'.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think that fitness will be very important: the Welsh team are renowned for their fitness.

Also, the scrumming ability will be very important: the Welsh team are very good scrummagers.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Australia are missing a handful of key players and have a few more, returning from injury, who have yet to play themselves back into form. I would not be surprised in the least if Wales took out the series.

Me too AlexH. The teams are too close for us to be without Beale, O'Connor, Horwill and Cooper. Wales probably have the best troops now, and us the home ground advantage.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
I can't even think about us (Wales) winning the series..... doesn't seem natural to be going on a tour like this and in the reckoning for winning it. Only a few injuries so far for Wales so looking okay. Hope Oz don't pick up anymore. Beck as cover for Jamie Roberts is looking in good shape and doubt many of you guys will know much about him yet. Dan Biggar is looking like the inform 10 unless Priestland has been getting back upto RWC standard.

Looking forward to this series a lot now with both teams sure to run a lot of ball. Should be a cracker.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Looking forward to this series a lot now with both teams sure to run a lot of ball. Should be a cracker.

Don't watch the Brumbies/Reds game from the weekend unless you want to be disillusioned.

The road to victory at the moment for australian teams is to give the other team the ball at any opportunity and to force mistakes, legally or illegally, until you get a chance to kick it again or kick a penalty.

Don't mind me, just a little scarred...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Don't watch the Brumbies/Reds game from the weekend unless you want to be disillusioned.

The road to victory at the moment for australian teams is to give the other team the ball at any opportunity and to force mistakes, legally or illegally, until you get a chance to kick it again or kick a penalty.

Don't mind me, just a little scarred...

I think a better road may be to play like the franchises did a week earlier.

C

cjf

Excluding all injuries this would be me.

1. Ben Robinson: Supposably a good scrumager, leadership skills hence captaincy at the tahs.
2. Stephen Moore: Very good player, smart and not an idiot like tafu, who seems to fly in head first and try and kill people and continue to injure himself, needs to stop being an idiot.
3. (hardly know anything about props)
4. Horwell (C)
5. Simmonds: Needs to toughen up though.
6. Higgon-bothem: Been playing very well, rocky elsom is a joke
7. David Pocock: Obvious, although hooper not far behiend him.
8. Another problem, still not content with any of the other australian Number 8's yet. one of them needs to step up. none of them any match for NZ or SA 8's
9. Will Genia: Obvious.
10. Christian Lealiifano: Quade Cooper to me is a great super rugby player but struggles at test level. World Cup is a clear indication of this. Defence is not great either. Give this bloke a run (i know his injured). Was in great form deserves a shot.
11. Digby Ione: One of the best attacking wingers going around. Very rarely gets taken down one on one. Needs to work on kicking game but.
12. Pat Mcabe: goes okay, to me not a world class inside centre, but i guess incumbent to a degree.
13. Adam Ashely Cooper: Sound in Defence, runs a great line in attack, good speed. To me no match to say conrad smith or even Robbie Fruen but still good enough to be there.
14. James Oconner: Previous to moving other positions in the backs it was my view that oconner was a world class winger (i dont considor to many aus players world class) but at wing he was fantastic. To me another classic case of a winger trying to be something his not. Useful i know at flyhalf but not a natural ball player. Surely there is a considorable difference between Oconner and Steyne.
15. Kurtley Beale: Brillant in attack. World class.

BEFORE I GET SHOT AT PLEASE NOTE:
i am from the US but moved to brisbane at the start of 2010, and the 2D game of rugby league just did not do it for me. Became attatched to rugby union and have been watching all of it the last 2 and a half years.
My knowledge, yes, would be much more limited than everyone else on this forum but i am keen to keep learning about this awesome game. Above is how i view the australians putting forward there strongest 15.
Am open to critisom and what you would all think of this line-up.
Please do tell me where i have gone wrong.

thoughts would be appreciated.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Hey CJF,
Let me put in my pennies worth to your selection with remarks:

1 Agree
2 Agree
3 Slipper
4 Sharpe: Horwill injured and Sharpe has test experience
5 Agree (spelt Simmons)
6 Agree (spelt Higginbotham - but you're taking the mickey out here aern't you?)
7 Agree
8 Palu
9 Agree obvious also)
10 Cooper (Lealifiano injured)
11 Agree
12 Harris ( for conversions)
13 Agree
14 Shipperley (OÇonner injured)
15 Beale (if returned from injury, otherwise McNab

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
i am from the US but moved to brisbane at the start of 2010, and the 2D game of rugby league just did not do it for me. Became attatched to rugby union and have been watching all of it the last 2 and a half years.
Welcome aboard. Good foundations there. I wish we could exclude all those injuries for these tests next week.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
An indicator of the Welsh lineup for the 1st test from Wales Online:

Wales reveal XV to face Barbarians and 16 for Australia advance party

By Jon Doel
May 30 2012

WALES have revealed the 16 players who will travel to Australia early to prepare for the first Test against Australia in Brisbane on June 9.

That group includes Scott Williams and Ashley Beck, who now look set to battle it out to replace the injured Jamie Roberts in Wales' number 12 position.

Hooker Ken Owens will also travel Down Under tomorrow, putting him in pole position to start ahead of Scarlets team-mate Matthew Rees who captains the side facing the Barbarians on Saturday.

That team sees three players win their first cap, with full-back Liam Williams, winger Harry Robinson and prop Rhodri Jones all set to start.

James Hook joins Andrew Bishop in the centre, with in-form Ospreys star Dan Biggar taking the number 10 jersey.

Scarlets youngster Adam Warren is a late addition to the bench after being promoted from the under 20s squad.

Martyn Williams remains in line to win his 100th cap after being named on the bench.

“The Ospreys have been in a rich vein of form and their victory over Leinster last weekend to take the Rabodirect PRO12 title was a boost for the whole of Welsh rugby,” said Wales caretaker head Howley.

“Dan and Andrew have been playing particularly well and we are looking forward to seeing both players in a Welsh shirt again

“We have picked a side on form, with an eye on bringing players through for the future, but very much with the intention of getting the summer campaign off to a winning start.”

Elsewhere the Ospreys also provide both locks in Ian Evans and Alun Wyn Jones and most of the back row with Ryan Jones (No8) and Justin Tipuric packing down alongside Scarlets blindside flanker Josh Turnbull.

Saracens prop Rhys Gill joins Rees and Jones in the front row to complete the back.

Ospreys hooker Richard Hibbard and regional colleague Paul James provide support for the front row with Scarlets flanker Aaron Shingler completing the match-day 22.

“We have an opportunity against the Barbarians to get an important summer series off to a winning start,” added Howley.

“We have momentum from the RBS Six Nations and the Ospreys have added to that with a great win in our domestic competition.

“We are now looking for the next step and a victory on home soil against a formidable Barbarians team before we set off for Australia.”

Ospreys prop Ryan Bevington will remain in Wales as 23rd man for the Barbarians fixture.
The final members of Wales’ tour party, which will total 34 players, will be named at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday immediately after the Baa-Baas fixture, with the team to play the Wallabies in that first match due to be named the following Thursday.

Liam Williams (Scarlets); Harry Robinson (Blues), Andrew Bishop (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Aled Brew (Dragons); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues); Rhys Gill (Saracens), Matthew Rees (Scarlets) Captain, Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), ), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys)

REPLACEMENTS: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Paul James (Ospreys), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Martyn Williams (Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Adam Warren (Scarlets), Will Harries (Dragons)

The 16 players heading to Australia tomorrow:

15. Leigh Halfpenny,
14. George North,
13. Jonathan Davies,
12. Scott Williams,/Ashley Beck,
11. Alex Cuthbert,
10. Rhys Priestland,
9. Mike Phillips,

1. Gethin Jenkins,
2. Ken Owens,
3. Adam Jones,
4. Bradley Davies,
5. Luke Charteris,
6. Dan Lydiate,
7. Sam Warburton,
8. Toby Faletau

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting, Brad Davies, Luke Charteris in the second row, Alun Wyn Jones and Ian Evans have played really well together, Ken Owens did really well the times he played in this years 6N, but I would say Mathew Rees just edges him, so another interesting call.
Ive read some of the posts here but not all I'm sorry to say, cant believe so many think Wales have a chance of beating you.
Sam Warburton is not just a great player is a great captain too, But he has been injured for a large part of the season, being in and out of the welsh team, he is coming back from injury and has'nt played since the 6N.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Sorry folks just read on a Welsh web site that Alun Wyn Jones and Ian Evans are off to a weding, thus not being selected:)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The 16 players heading to Australia tomorrow:

15. Leigh Halfpenny,
14. George North,
13. Jonathan Davies,
12. Scott Williams,/Ashley Beck,
11. Alex Cuthbert,
10. Rhys Priestland,
9. Mike Phillips,

1. Gethin Jenkins,
2. Ken Owens,
3. Adam Jones,
4. Bradley Davies,
5. Luke Charteris,
6. Dan Lydiate,
7. Sam Warburton,
8. Toby Faletau

Looks like the advanced party is pretty much their top team.

A part of me is more excited to see the Welsh than the Wallabies!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm actually really excited about this series. It should be very competitive and a great test for the Wallabies' depth. Going from the comments on this board you would think we should be quivering in our boots at the thought of Australia's impending destruction. Pffffffffft! Grow some balls people. Some of you sound like British sports journos. Yes its a good Welsh side, but we're Australians and are rightful favourites to take this series. Yes we have some of our best talent on the sidelines and are missing an inform flyhalf, but we still have more than enough talent to get the job done provided the players coming in step up.

I'm more of a glass half full guy. The current injury situation means that this series is about as good an opportunity we'll ever get to blood some new talent prior to the rugby championship (and ultimately for the Lions tour next year). Lock is one area we need some fresh meet and there are a number

With that out of the way, my team for the first game against Wales would be:-
1) Robinson
2) Moore
3) Kepu
4) Sharpe
5) Simmons
6) Higgers
7) Pocock
8) Palu
9) Genia
10) Cooper/Lucas (depending on how Cooper goes in the Scotland Game
11) Ioane
12) Barnes
13) McCabe
14) Morahan
15) AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16) TPN
17) Slipper / Alexander
18) Pyles
19) Dennis
20) Hooper
21) Lucas / White / Cooper
22) Harris / Fainga'a

Bring Dennis on for Palu after 50 minutes.
Bring Hooper on for Higgers after 55 minutes.
Pyle, TPN and Slipper on at the 65 -70 minute mark.

To be honest we could go with any number of backline combinations and everyone on this board will have a different view as to who should be in the side and in which position they should play. To me there a few facts that we need to remember 1) McCabe is a test centre and must start at either 12 or 13...2) Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) both play great test footy and should be in the starting 15.

If we had a bit more flair on the field (i.e. Beale and O'Connor, I'd probably add A Fainga'a to the starting line up but without them we need extra creativity on attack.

If Cooper and Barnes can direct play well, we should take this series. Genia and our backrow will be the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.