• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Italy debacle remains sour. Probably always will.

I'd say Rennie has done fine in developing a spread of talent across the squad, a good thing. But neither Aus A nor the teams that fronted Italy/Wales are going to be ideal against the top 5 in the RWC.

Player development at Super leads to at least our conundrum at 2 and 10. Similar the back three though that is actually getting somewhere.

Injuries though, huge issue. And while discipline performance against Wales was actually very pleasing, it has marred the team for far too long.

Rugby Australia definitely needs to step up.
Yeah Dru, Rennie via lifting a large rock of injuries has found a few diamonds, not sure if he would have picked any of them without all the injuries. Some of the posts here are a bit OTT regarding our chances in the RWC.
After the first half, I thought it could be a cricket score, our discipline, handling and structure was poor and Gordon managed to do a yellow again!
I thought Donaldson was better than Lolesio but the bench was very strong as I mentioned before the game, with Samu outstanding again.
Huge game from Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase).
I don't think 10 is solved, fullback is unknown, 12 if Kerevi is missing.
Front row issues, backrow unsettled (Gleeson doesn't appear to be an answer). McRight better version of Hooper, pack needs to work together better.

Reactions: dru

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
At 65 min mark I could feel the steam coming out my ears. Up until then there was lots to be frustrated about. But as Harrison said, Wallabies backline looked like it was the first time playing together… because it *was*. Well, almost. But can’t really expect defence to be very good with no cohesion. And it wasn’t. Hodge was easy to get past. Petaia didn’t know how to defend the wing — probably because he had no trust or understanding with the players inside him.

In attack, when we have numbers to go wide, players still don’t get how to straighten, draw the defence, then pass. They just pass it way too early before the defence is interested in them and expect their team mate to do something with the ball instead — except for Wright. He never passes. And that’s ok 80% of the time. But it’s too predictable. He needs to add a good ‘draw and pass’ to his game because he certainly attracts the defence! Nawaqanitawase (spelling?), on the other hand, like Koroibete, can do what he likes! Great to watch.

In the game against France I thought the Wallabies had discovered the ABs plan to suddenly click into gear and go wide when we got turn-over ball (because that’s the time to do it when the defence is in chaos — remember the try from our own goal line?!). But alas, against Wales we just kicked it away — even when we had 15 on 13! Nothing bad came of it, just wasted opportunity.

Commentators thought the tempo lifted because Tate and Lolesio came on. But it wasn’t because of them. It was because of the replacement forwards. Lol didn’t do anything wrong, but as a 10 he just doesn’t have the special awareness needed at test level. He goes well at the Brumbies because of the forward dominated game plan. Out of all the 10s used this year, apart from maybe Quade, Donaldson has the best special awareness and should be ahead of Lol going forward. Remember, this was Donaldson’s first real test. And it was in a very intimidating environment. And he was playing with two centres he was meeting for the first time under game-pressure conditions. I thought he did pretty well considering.

I do like Tate’s nippiness, but he doesn’t get the ball out from the ruck quick enough when we’re building momentum. Sure, the forwards need to do better to secure the ball, but he needs to realise the threat of the counter-ruck and get it away real quick.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
The forwards stood up ok. Impressive depth considering. But never, ever try and wind the clock down at the end like that again. The ref will always find a way to penalise you. It’s weirdly inconsistent I know, because the ref wouldn’t penalise you that way at any other point in the game. Just shows how the laws can be interpreted in different ways. We say it’s ok as long as it’s consistent, but refs don’t understand how their own bias affects them. Not saying they go for a particular team, but they obviously go easy on the team behind, as if they’re trying to make it a good spectacle.

I notice the forwards are trying to do one off hit-ups in pods now. Better than before, but still not really getting much go-forward. And the wayward forward running on an angle, away from his support, in order to take the tackle, does my head in. It’s pointless and risky. Learn the skill of short passes to other support forwards running into space. This is Ireland’s secret against bigger forward packs. Even Wales were trying their hand at it quite successfully. It makes so much ground over the duration of a game.

Fainga’a can be really lazy at times. He gets the glory at the back of maul try, but he doesn’t help push much! I’d like to see his work rate stats around the park.

Robertson, God bless him, is just too small. Yes, he won a scrum penalty, but he also gave one away. Can I just say, no one, including the commentators, ever know which way the penalty is going to go when the scrum collapses. It’s such a lottery.

Most other forwards did well all things considered. But we aren’t great at the breakdown. We only ever just secure our own ball, and turnovers are few and far between. We need to improve here, but we also need a clear strategy to counter this clear weakness so that other teams don’t take advantage of it.

I sound negative, but overall considering all the injuries, I think we can be pretty happy with that season. I feel a bit more confident heading into the World Cup if our best players are available. My only fear is that they missed out on so much cohesion building. Will it be our undoing? We’ll have to wait and see.

Feel bad for Wales. They are our true kindred spirit when it comes to rugby suffering. I don’t think any other team in world rugby has experienced a fall from glory as much as us two. I’m just glad it’s us and not AB fans, because I really don’t think they would be able to handle it ;-)

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I think both Petaia and Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) performed really well - yes there were defensive lapses by both but that likely comes from a lack of combination with their inside men and maybe communication. Petaia hasn't been playing a lot of wing so that contributes too but really pleased to see him remain injury free and show some of that dynamism that was promised early. He showed a great boot at one stage too. I hope that Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) can continue to build on his progress this year, certainly showed some great attacking abilities and confidence. We should be happy to have two promising young outside backs stepping up.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
That last 20min period really was one for the ages.

Wallabies again showing that they seem to play to the level of their opposition.
The best thing about it was that it was the young blokes driving the bus for the comeback. A rookie front row holding their own and a young backline directed by Ikitau getting the win. Samu(not so young) and Tate upping the pace of the game. Great game to watch and congrats to the Wallabies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
ha....no mention of Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)'s shite tackle that led to the Wales try? He was epic but to overlook that when calling out Petaia is a little dare I say blue eyed.

fascinatingbehaviour.jpg

Weren't you the one saying at the start of the international season "no provinces, just Wallabies!" or similar? My memory isn't what it used to be...

So let's restate the obvious: your favouritism for, and inability to be critical of, certain players is well known, and TBH getting quite tiresome.

The only reason you're using the term "blue eyed" is because I, as a Tahs supporter, called out a great performance from a NSW player, and dared criticise a QLD player for a couple of mistakes he made. Funny thing is, they're all Wallabies, right?

It was nothing to do with where they came from. Was I supposed to talk up his performance today? I can do a blow-by-blow if you like.

Let's be honest about Petaia: he's got size, pace, and talent. Like Nawaqanitawase, in a lot of ways. Physically gifted and could have long and stellar careers ahead of them.

Similarly they share flaws e.g. looking for offloads that aren't really on, as one example.

The issue is Petaia has been on the scene for 3 years, had his barrow pushed relentlessly by certain parties, and yet is incredibly inconsistent when he is on the park and not crocked. That may yet happen to Nawaqanitawase, and certainly he pushed too hard in his games with the Tahs.

I would honestly love to see Petaia get more time injury-free at what appears to be his favoured position - fullback - and stay fit long enough to stake a claim for that gold 15 jersey.

That hasn't happened. He's struggling to get that time even in his home state. No amount of defensiveness from you is going to change that, so take the comments for what they were, and not some form of broadside attack on the Moreton Bay Penal Colony or its players.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Came on when we were in the shit.. ended up winning..

I also think Lonergan played better than FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a), suppose though the Welsh team was tired... :rolleyes:
Tomikin, this is the best game I have seen from Lonergan and if he continues in 23 he should be the starter in the Brumbies. Hooker is another of those positions which will be closely watched next year.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tomikin, this is the best game I have seen from Lonergan and if he continues in 23 he should be the starter in the Brumbies. Hooker is another of those positions which will be closely watched next year.

Longergan, Pollard, Fainga'a - three into 2 will not go.

If we had a draft system of some kind, one of the 3 would be at another province getting important game time.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
View attachment 15014

Weren't you the one saying at the start of the international season "no provinces, just Wallabies!" or similar? My memory isn't what it used to be...

So let's restate the obvious: your favouritism for, and inability to be critical of, certain players is well known, and TBH getting quite tiresome.

The only reason you're using the term "blue eyed" is because I, as a Tahs supporter, called out a great performance from a NSW player, and dared criticise a QLD player for a couple of mistakes he made. Funny thing is, they're all Wallabies, right?

It was nothing to do with where they came from. Was I supposed to talk up his performance today? I can do a blow-by-blow if you like.

Let's be honest about Petaia: he's got size, pace, and talent. Like Nawaqanitawase, in a lot of ways. Physically gifted and could have long and stellar careers ahead of them.

Similarly they share flaws e.g. looking for offloads that aren't really on, as one example.

The issue is Petaia has been on the scene for 3 years, had his barrow pushed relentlessly by certain parties, and yet is incredibly inconsistent when he is on the park and not crocked. That may yet happen to Nawaqanitawase, and certainly he pushed too hard in his games with the Tahs.

I would honestly love to see Petaia get more time injury-free at what appears to be his favoured position - fullback - and stay fit long enough to stake a claim for that gold 15 jersey.

That hasn't happened. He's struggling to get that time even in his home state. No amount of defensiveness from you is going to change that, so take the comments for what they were, and not some form of broadside attack on the Moreton Bay Penal Colony or its players.
I thought Petaia played well enough, so don’t get the attention. His efforts off kick restarts was fantastic.

Defensively the same lapses have occurred all season for the outside backs regardless of who was starting. Maybe it’s time we examine the systems in place rather than picking apart players. Remember how the defensive coach was sacked mid-TRC…

Just a thought…

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Longergan, Pollard, Fainga'a - three into 2 will not go.

If we had a draft system of some kind, one of the 3 would be at another province getting important game time.
FF (Folau Fainga'a) playing for the force next season, if you missed it

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Came on when we were in the shit.. ended up winning..

I also think Lonergan played better than FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a), suppose though the Welsh team was tired... :rolleyes:

Fainga’a days are surely numbered at test level, the tired opposition have nothing to do with his lineout throws missing the mark. He almost butchered the first rolling maul try by breaking too early, historically this is his bread and butter.

Besides that he was ok, but come 2023 Latu, Lonergan, Pollard, Mafi, Kaitu’u, BPA should all be considered for the role.

Reactions: dru

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Absolutely fantastic to comeback and win it there, didn't think it was going to happen so far behind.

I'm really liking what Mark and Jordan offer on the wings, both help offset the aerial battle the NH teams like to get into. I'm definitely eating humble pie on why Mark got picked over Vunivalu, well deserved.

I thought Gleeson and Halloway went missing too much when we needed go forward in the first half. Somehow the lightest forward in McReight was constantly doing the hit ups?

Most disappointing thing about the game is the lack of leadership and game management. Gordon once again doing something stupid, but more importantly he and Slipper were whinging at the Ref. Simply not good enough from the leadership team.

More importantly, why were we doing one off runners at the end? It's a constant recipe for disaster and almost cost us the game. Thankfully Lonergan redeemed himself with that pilfer. But just doing pick and goes for one minute. Simple stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.