• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) has really come along this tour...

Imagine if we were able to field him, Ikitau, Kerevi and Koroibete in the same game? Christ... I could coach that backline.

Samu and Lonergan were both really strong off the bench.

Frost is another player whose standings has risen on this tour.

I'm not sure what to think of Donaldson just yet. Lolesio certainly benefited from having McDermott on the field, who has to be the reserve halfback over yellow card Gordon.

And a really good start from Gleeson in the first half... unfortunately he couldn't escape the Wallabies' injury curse.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I also think Lolo was better than Donaldson when he came on.
Disagree. First half was all Wales and Australia didn’t have much ball. We were two men down at one stage and Donaldson was at half back for 10 minutes in his first run on Test. Second half Australia were able to win more ball but I don’t think Lolesio was overly dominant or the reason we won. Plus he has played some 15 Tests. Next year will be interesting in the Super rugby season to see how they both play. Donaldson can only get better with more experience.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
You can’t write off Quade
Poreki still worth persisting with
Kerevi is a 12
Hopefully Leota will come back strong, liked him at 6
Pone as well
And Philip still pretty reliable
I know Kerevi is a 12 and I love him. Some would say he should be captain.

But we need a Sione at 12.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree Leota instead of Wilson and Philip will be in the mix. Good work rate. But he’s not in the top 4 locks when they’re all fit.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I still don't get the admiration here for Rodda. Right now we have a very strong contingent of locks, both here in Neville, Frost, Swain and Philip, and also those playing overseas, Skelton and Arnold possibly x 2.

Rodda had a very ordinary start to this year's Super, followed by an extended period out of the game with a foot(?) injury. He has a mountain in front of him to force his way into the RWC squad.

There will be a smokey or two come to the fore in Super Rugby next year. From the Brumbies POV, I reckon the real smokey could be Jack Debreczini at 10, also covering 15. He played 10 in a recent trial match against NSW (Gen Blues?), and controlled the game admirably. I won't be surprised to see him play 10 at some time for the Brumbies. Others who could come into contention are Tom Hooper who looks to be something very special as a No 6/lock. And if there is any move to play a bigger, more aggressive style of No 7 (as is happening across some other national teams) then if not Samu, maybe Jahrome Brown who plays so similarly to Samu that commentators often mix them up.

Who are the possible smokeys from pother Aus Super Rugby teams?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know Kerevi is a 12 and I love him. Some would say he should be captain.

I don’t see Kerevi been captain.

He might be an on-field leader but Wallabies captain carries massive PR responsibilities that I don’t think Kerevi would want, I’d say there would be a fear within the organisation he might be vocal against the RA PR narrative on sensitive issues(LGTBQ/religion) as well.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I still don't get the admiration here for Rodda. Right now we have a very strong contingent of locks, both here in Neville, Frost, Swain and Philip, and also those playing overseas, Skelton and Arnold possibly x 2.

Rodda had a very ordinary start to this year's Super, followed by an extended period out of the game with a foot(?) injury. He has a mountain in front of him to force his way into the RWC squad.

There will be a smokey or two come to the fore in Super Rugby next year. From the Brumbies POV, I reckon the real smokey could be Jack Debreczini at 10, also covering 15. He played 10 in a recent trial match against NSW (Gen Blues?), and controlled the game admirably. I won't be surprised to see him play 10 at some time for the Brumbies. Others who could come into contention are Tom Hooper who looks to be something very special as a No 6/lock. And if there is any move to play a bigger, more aggressive style of No 7 (as is happening across some other national teams) then if not Samu, maybe Jahrome Brown who plays so similarly to Samu that commentators often mix them up.

Who are the possible smokeys from pother Aus Super Rugby teams?
we’ve hardly locked down the locking position, why wouldn’t we consider Rodda?

Neville is a journeyman, not a world beater. He is competing with Phillip for a position.

Swain is yet to prove he isn’t a liability

Phillip is a workhorse, but wont get over the gain line and needs to be balanced with some big bodies.

Frost I really like, 2023 RWC might be soon for him to be starting but should be in the squad.

Skelton I’ve come around on and think he has to be in the RWC squad.

Arnold didn’t impress me during his recent wallaby outings and has lost out to Skelton IMO

Reactions: dru

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
we’ve hardly locked down the locking position, why wouldn’t we consider Rodda?

Neville is a journeyman, not a world beater. He is competing with Phillip for a position.

Swain is yet to prove he isn’t a liability

Phillip is a workhorse, but wont get over the gain line and needs to be balanced with some big bodies.

Frost I really like, 2023 RWC might be soon for him to be starting but should be in the squad.

Skelton I’ve come around on and think he has to be in the RWC squad.

Arnold didn’t impress me during his recent wallaby outings and has lost out to Skelton IMO
Of this list I'd go with Neville, Frost & Skelton. While Neville isn't a standout, gee he's fit and is getting as involved at 65 mins as he is at the start. Frost has been strady and shown some special glimpses which we should give him the time to get comfortable. Skelton off the bench for me would be the way to go. Give the big man 30 mins to run as hard as he can and smash through some mauls.

Swain has left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, and he needs to have a good season for the Brumbies. I wouldn't be worrying about Arnold unless we are completely depleted.

I do think a guy like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) could come right into it depending on injuries and the Giteau law. Rodda is the other that can make his way into the squad with a strong season.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know I'm a Rebels fan but isn't Philip's strength his running game? He's pretty consistent and bending the line and making half breaks. Moreso than Neville and Swain.
I’ve seen this “Philip isn’t physical enough” narrative here a lot recently.

My own eyes tell me he’s the most physical of the domestic second rowers. Do I need a trip to the optometrist or the psychiatrist?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’ve seen this “Philip isn’t physical enough” narrative here a lot recently.

My own eyes tell me he’s the most physical of the domestic second rowers. Do I need a trip to the optometrist or the psychiatrist?
Yeah, completely agree. He's great with ball in hand. He fades fast and is prone to a defensive lapse but his attack ain't lacking.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So who is out of RWC23? Too risky to pick or will lose you a sudden death game because of some brain snap?

For me:

Hodge, Gordon, Robertson, Donaldson, Petaia, FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a), - not up to test standard and put a line through them now! Will lose you games and crucial moments.

O’Connor, Cooper and maybe Foley - too old to play a full tournament or tour. Have failed to win consistently in the past and in 2021/22. Too late for 2023!

On the edge - McReight who needs to work on strength and power, Wright (versatile but…) Lolesio (gone backwards and needs huge 2023), Banks, Porecki.

Firming squad…

Best 15s - Campbell and Kellaway
Best Wings - MK and MW (both by a mile)
13 - Ikitau, Kerevi, Paisami
12 - Simone, Foketi
10 - we need to work out what we want. A kicker or a playmaker and pick and stick. Biggest issue in the team. I still think Noah with confidence and poise and improved D could make it. Playing between best skilled 12 in Simone and White. Edmed and Carter Gordon smokies.
9 - White and McDermott. Daylight next.
8 - Valentini but Gleeson and Harris could emerge as back up
7 - Samu and Hooper with McReight a maybe if improved strength.
6 - Holloway, Wilson, Swinton
Locks - Rodda, Frost, Skelton, Swain
Props - Slipper, AAA, Bell
Hookers - Lonergan, Kaitu’u, Pollard

Who is missing? Who is another young prop that is test standard who is not Tupou?
Confucius is drunk

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Please, slow to organise a caterpillar box kick. FFS is there any other way to do it ? The whole thing shits me yo tears. Talk about steps before you pas or kick, have a look at steps taken away from the defence before passing to those who then become sitting ducks.
White would have been murdered on these boards if he got charged down off a caterpillar box kick.. FFS

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Disagree. First half was all Wales and Australia didn’t have much ball. We were two men down at one stage and Donaldson was at half back for 10 minutes in his first run on Test. Second half Australia were able to win more ball but I don’t think Lolesio was overly dominant or the reason we won. Plus he has played some 15 Tests. Next year will be interesting in the Super rugby season to see how they both play. Donaldson can only get better with more experience.
Doesn't really change my opinion, I don't think Donladson was bad I just think Lolesio looked and felt more comfortable and played better. Probably should with all his experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.