• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After Foketi got injured a few weeks ago, Rennie mentioned injury cover coming from Aus to join the squad. It's interesting that this didn't eventuate - Stewart, Henry, or Keunzle would be pretty handy to have right about now. Henry in particular has shown that he can fill the hard-running, crash ball mould of Paisami / Kerevi pretty well.
Maybe it's time LC for the team to move away from the crash baller in the midfield and try some creativity and imagination? I just cannot see any argument for including a debutant from out of left field (Kuenzle or Henry) or a run of the mill Super level player (Stewart) for such an important game (at least for Dave Rennie). I can't see him going with anyone other than Petaia or Hodge to partner Ikitau in the centres.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And yet he starts at 8 with Rob V at 6 for the Brumbies and that was under MacKellar. Not like he hasn't got any experience or form there. And he's a proven test match player, unlike Gleeson who is a package of potential atm nothing more. This game is now just too important, I believe, to muck around with unknown prospects at this level at the expense of proven players. I will be utterly surprised if Rennie doesn't also see it that way.

You've answered the question in your first sentence. We're looking for someone to replace Valetini's ball running in the middle of the field, not complement him.

Derpus and myself (and potentially others) are suggesting that Gleeson should start because we are sorely lacking ball running ability with the players available.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe it's time LC for the team to move away from the crash baller in the midfield and try some creativity and imagination? I just cannot see any argument for including a debutant from out of left field (Kuenzle or Henry) or a run of the mill Super level player (Stewart) for such an important game (at least for Dave Rennie). I can't see him going with anyone other than Petaia or Hodge to partner Ikitau in the centres.
I agree, more just a comment that it'd be good to have the option to have a genuine centre - especially when it seemed like we were preparing for this exact situation. Petaia hasn't set the world on fire with his opportunities in the centres (though hopefully last week gave him some confidence), and I still maintain that Hodge is best suited to the bench coverall role.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
You've answered the question in your first sentence. We're looking for someone to replace Valetini's ball running in the middle of the field, not complement him.

Derpus and myself (and potentially others) are suggesting that Gleeson should start because we are sorely lacking ball running ability with the players available.
BH: Hooper has normally had this role in terms of running at speed, supporting runners, taking the ball up etc. Unless you are looking for someone bigger to replace bobby V? Is Hooper to focus on the D and pilfering? that would be a change.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm thinking Rennie will go the conservative route and it will be Hodge to 12. I don't have a problem with that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH: Hooper has normally had this role in terms of running at speed, supporting runners, taking the ball up etc. Unless you are looking for someone bigger to replace bobby V? Is Hooper to focus on the D and pilfering? that would be a change.

We're trying to replace the role Valetini has predominantly had for the last couple of years.

I don't think Hooper does this at all. He's not a big body seeking contact with his ball carrying.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our strategy changes a bit with Samu at eight, in that we're lacking a bruiser in the pack to truck the ball up. Pete does have excellent footwork though and brings other skills. I worry that our back row will be a bit lightweight. That said, we potentially gain at the breakdown with him out there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree, more just a comment that it'd be good to have the option to have a genuine centre - especially when it seemed like we were preparing for this exact situation. Petaia hasn't set the world on fire with his opportunities in the centres (though hopefully last week gave him some confidence), and I still maintain that Hodge is best suited to the bench coverall role.
Yeah, I agree on Hodge. I am also positive about Jordan Petaia now hopefully realising his potential. Would be an excellent 13/wing cover from the bench, or replacement 13 in case of injury at 12 or 13.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
A wildcard option could be for Frost to start at 6 and Holloway at 8, Neville and Swain in the row, Ned on the bench. Its a bit Brumbies heavy though, hence it will probably happen.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And yet he starts at 8 with Rob V at 6 for the Brumbies and that was under MacKellar. Not like he hasn't got any experience or form there. And he's a proven test match player, unlike Gleeson who is a package of potential atm nothing more. This game is now just too important, I believe, to muck around with unknown prospects at this level at the expense of proven players. I will be utterly surprised if Rennie doesn't also see it that way.
But Valetini still fulfills the same role from 6 at the Brumbies as he does from 8 for the Wallabies.

If you are playing Samu at 8 someone else needs to do Valetini's role because Samu can't.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. Neville
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Samu
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Wright
12. Hodge
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. Campbell

16. Lonergan
17. Gibbon
18. Robertson
19. Swain
20. Gleeson/McReight
21. Gordon
22. Donaldson
23. Petaia

No experimentation for this one. We need to beat Wales and end the tour on some sort of a positive note.
So we need to beat Wales and you want to bring on Swain???? Are you suggesting we can beat Wales with 14 men on the field?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
A wildcard option could be for Frost to start at 6 and Holloway at 8, Neville and Swain in the row, Ned on the bench. Its a bit Brumbies heavy though, hence it will probably happen.
I dont mind this option, not sure how our speed to the ruck will be. Ned at 6, swain on the bench, frost in the row?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wales: 33
Aus: 21

I don't think our guys have truly bottomed out yet. Their comments after last game combined with Nic White's comments around refereeing last week lead me to believe they haven't grasped the situation yet.

I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
A centre combination of Ikitau and Petaia could be interesting, and and at the very least more threatening than with Hodge. Ikitau's distribution game is underrated, especially his short passing (he hasn't really had any opportunity to show it for the Wallabies this year) and his left foot would be an asset.

This weekend might not be the best opportunity to test it, but it's something to consider post World Cup, especially with it looking less and less likely that Kerevi will sign for a Super franchise and Paisami's development has stalled.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Valetini is our primary ball runner, especially off the lineout on first phase- when has Hooper ever filled that role?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But Valetini still fulfills the same role from 6 at the Brumbies as he does from 8 for the Wallabies.

If you are playing Samu at 8 someone else needs to do Valetini's role because Samu can't.
And you think a rookie with barely half a season of Super rugby behind him can? Pete Samu doesn't hit it up hard like Valetini but is one of the very few Wallaby forwards who consistently makes ground in contact and has the ability to break the line. Give me someone I know over a promising but very inexperienced novice in test match rugby any day.

For the hitups, I can see the load falling on Holloway, and perhaps Frost if they play him a bit wider.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And you think a rookie with barely half a season of Super rugby behind him can? Pete Samu doesn't hit it up hard like Valetini but is one of the very few Wallaby forwards who consistently makes ground in contact and has the ability to break the line. Give me someone I know over a promising but very inexperienced novice in test match rugby any day.

For the hitups, I can see the load falling on Holloway, and perhaps Frost if they play him a bit wider.

If you play your locks wide, who is doing the heavy stuff in tight?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Valetini is our primary ball runner, especially off the lineout on first phase- when has Hooper ever filled that role?
Eastman and BH: I did state in my original reply - Unless you are looking for someone bigger to replace bobby V?
Please read what I wrote before you reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.