• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some funny comments on our maul. Don't have figures but my observation is that, on this EOYT, we have been defending opposition mauls more frequently than setting our own. They are an integral part of all teams' game plans and the Wallabies are among the most successful teams in defending them. But all sides seem to defend better now and it is harder to drive a maul over the tryline. Still, that's also an argument to do something different from time to time as KOB wants.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah TBH I'm not sold on Gleeson entirely either.

If the state of rugby wasn't what it is we'd have Naisarani and Wilson lining up to take Valetini's spot. Alas.
Derpus, Gleeson is a gamble and Rennie has shown that he ain't a big gambler. I think he will be on the bench and the backrow will be 8 Holloway, 6 Samu/Hanigan, 7 Hooper.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, I think you are alluding to an issue with our tight forwards. What exactly is their main role? Is it to work the tight or to be more involved in the loose or general play?

The conversation has moved on but thought I’d respond anyway.

Traditionally/usually, the body shape, size, muscle etc of the tight 5 are the most suitable of all players on the field for the tight stuff in traffic. The fronts rowers can be anticipated to undergo some lactic burn in the legs after scrums, hence it is normal for the locks to be given the job the hard yakka in tight.

If you’ve placed a lock out wide you’re down a man in the rough stuff.

what’s more important to the WBs? Gaining ground wide of the ruck or winning the ruck contact? Well both but if I only have one choice then the locks are already being counted in tight. There’s no room for a wide lock.

wide of the ruck needs to be handled by the loose forwards, or you need a plan to sort out in tight first. In reality that will be the tight 5 or simply playing around with jersey numbers.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
1 - Slipper
2 - Fainga'a
3 - AAA
4 - Frost
5 - Neville
6 - Holloway
7 - McReight
8 - Gleeson
9 - McDermott
10 - Lolesio
11 - Wright
12 - Hodge
13 - Ikitau
14 - Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
15 - Campbell

16 - Lonergan
17 - Gibbon
18 - Robertson
19 - Swain/Hanigan
20 - Samu
21 - Gordon
22 - Donaldson
23 - Petaia

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
But effective, the ponies have been eminently boring for years, but incredibly effective

It works
Yes but it’s not effective at test level, mostly because it’s the only thing we do off a penalty in our own half that we don’t take a shot at goal.

As Le Cheese and BR are saying, it’s important to have it in our arsenal, there is no problem with that, but we need some variations in there as well.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Screenshot_20221123-170306.png

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The top tier test teams disagree…
I'm referring to our version. I'd be interested to know what the conversion rate is against said test teams this season. As I said there is a place for it just not every fucking penalty.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So I think we will now be forced to do what I suggested the previous page sans Hooper:

6. Frost
7. Samu
8. Holloway

Ned and McReight on the bench

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I hope it not ongoing with Hooper, I would think after his mindset earlier in year, he may find it a good time to pull plug.
I bloody hope not, as I have so much time for him as a player etc, and would love him to go out after WC if that's when he wants.

Get well Hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.