• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales, Principality Stadium, Sun 27th November, 2.15am AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has the team been named or are you speculating BH? That’s probably about as strong a team as we can hope to field!

No, hasn't been named.

I was just trying to run through who was actually available for selection.

The only real news is that Gleeson will start at 8.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
ESPN article today about selections for the Wales game and it finishes by saying (paraphrase) "despite mounting pressure, Rennie should be secure as he has the backing of the senior playing group".

May as well clear his office out now, those are universally known as the mark of death when it comes to coaching. Anytime the media says they've got full support of either *the board* or *the playing ground* - they're cooked.
Deans didn't have the support of the senior playing group - he dropped most of them from the team! Smith, Giteau, Mitchell, etc!

The minority that weren't against him were from NSW, Ashley-Cooper, Barnes, Phipps (was dating his daughter..)

The best players & best leaders - Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Moore etc.. all wanted McKenzie, a much better coach.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Deans didn't have the support of the senior playing group - he dropped most of them from the team! Smith, Giteau, Mitchell, etc!

The minority that weren't against him were from NSW, Ashley-Cooper, Barnes, Phipps (was dating his daughter..)

The best players & best leaders - Genia, Cooper, Horwill, Moore etc.. all wanted McKenzie, a much better coach.

Maybe at the end that was the case.

It certainly wasn't at the start.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I can't see where Phil mentions Deans in his post...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just who is markedly better than the squad options anyway, it isn't like we have a load of "goats" resting at home; and as this is outside the legal test window, the OS club players are locked out
I am not saying they would be picked above those in the squad, but if we had another injury in the backs for instance we need cover. RA are better off negotiating with the Saints for Ramm (as an example) than trying to fly Hamish Stewart or someone in from Australia

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am not saying they would be picked above those in the squad, but if we had another injury in the backs for instance we need cover. Rugby Australia are better off negotiating with the Saints for Ramm (as an example) than trying to fly Hamish Stewart or someone in from Australia
Agreed with you Reg. Not that you're suggesting him but feel like Ramm wouldn't want to be captured by Aus.

Who we got over there, theoretically if someone goes down before the game:
Zack Holmes is kicking around for Bordeaux currently.. Nadolo is available too (I think it's been 3 years+). Jack Maddocks ofc. Sefa is injured, Simone is injured. Powell could be emergency 9, Ben Meehan too. Ralston probably is angling for Ireland. Harry Potter is available too I think.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Slipper
Fainga'a
Ala'alatoa
Neville
Frost
Holloway
McReight
Gleeson
McDermott
Lolesio
Nawaqanitawase
Hodge
Ikitau
Wright
Campbell

Lonergan
Gibbon
Robertson/Talakai
Hanigan/Swain
Samu
Gordon
Donaldson
Petaia

I think that is everyone remaining on tour.
Looks ok. I reckon he will be tempted to start Petaia after looking good last week. Maybe at 13 and shift Ikitau in.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'm going to be nervous checking my news feed the next couple of mornings, waiting to see who else drops out after a training run...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe at the end that was the case.

It certainly wasn't at the start.
BH: that's the standard procedure for killing Wallaby coaches, players welcome them with open arms, play well for a few games and even a season, then back to stupid penalties, missing tackles, avoiding the breakdown etc. etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH: that's the standard procedure for killing Wallaby coaches, players welcome them with open arms, play well for a few games and even a season, then back to stupid penalties, missing tackles, avoiding the breakdown etc. etc.

It's pretty standard for any coach in any sport.

At some point the relationship between players and coach starts breaking down and it's very hard for the coach to continue in the role long term after that.

Mostly it's going to come from a downturn in results or the loss of expectation that results can improve (if they weren't good to begin with).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's pretty standard for any coach in any sport.

At some point the relationship between players and coach starts breaking down and it's very hard for the coach to continue in the role long term after that.

Mostly it's going to come from a downturn in results or the loss of expectation that results can improve (if they weren't good to begin with).
BH: Makes me wonder how Scott Robertson and Robbie Deans before him at the Crusaders held the job together for as long as they did. Performance most probably and different approach by Kiwi's?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH: Makes me wonder how Scott Robertson and Robbie Deans before him at the Crusaders held the job together for as long as they did. Performance most probably and different approach by Kiwi's?

Performance.

No coach has coached the Wallabies for more tests than Deans so to be fair he lasted a long time in that job too.

I guess the flipside is find a coach who lasted a really long time at a professional team in any sport where the results weren't consistently good and/or improved over time.

I don't think there is anything unique about New Zealand. Outside of the Crusaders have any of the other teams enjoyed long tenured coaches? For the All Blacks, Ian Foster has been under pressure for a fair part of his time as coach.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon I could coach a somewhat successful Crusaders team with all their structures and depth and do alright. And I know nothing

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I reckon I could coach a somewhat successful Crusaders team with all their structures and depth and do alright. And I know nothing
It is often the case that it is impossible to understand the real challenges and demands of a senior position like this unless you have either done it, or been in the supporting structure.

Just a couple of things: how would you motivate and manage your direct reports? The "structure and depth" does not motivate itself, let alone select itself.

Then there's the players. They have to respect you and be open to being led and motivated by you. Can you do all that??

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It is often the case that it is impossible to understand the real challenges and demands of a senior position like this unless you have either done it, or been in the supporting structure.

Just a couple of things: how would you motivate and manage your direct reports? The "structure and depth" does not motivate itself, let alone select itself.

Then there's the players. They have to respect you and be open to being led and motivated by you. Can you do all that??
Of course not! I’m just a mug on a forum. It was in jest and That’s why I put the somewhat. I just think Robertson might not be a good fit for us. I think we signed Deans all those years ago thinking he was a master coach. He obviously has an astute rugby mind, motivational skills, et al, but it helps having a conveyor belt of talent coming through to act out those plans. Like we are all sweating on Gambles eligibility and he didn’t quite make the cut at the Crusaders. When Deans was here he went ok with all those skills you defined but not great. I actually thought Rennie might be a better fit simply because the Chiefs, who always underperformed, went well with them.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Donaldson over Lolesio!

1. James Slipper (c) (126 Tests)
2. Folau Fainga’a (37 Tests)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (63 Tests)
4. Nick Frost (8 Tests)
5. Cadeyrn Neville (7 Tests)
6. Jed Holloway (9 Tests)
7. Fraser McReight (9 Tests)
8. Langi Gleeson (2 Tests)