• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm sorry, I'm ridiculously biased but I just don't feel the test team is being picked on form. What does Favy have to do to get a spot. The hardest working lock in Australian rugby rolled in favour of someone with development potential. TPN cannot throw in the lineout: JC what a revelation: he never could! Steven Moore is the best numbertwo in the country by a country mile. The Wallabies attack is limited and predictable: hello there are 8 Waratahs inthe run on squad: the worst team that state has ever put together. Pick a team on form you fucking twats. Sorry for my bad language and typing.

Uhhh...... didn't we just win a series 3-0 against the Grand Slam champs?

I could have sworn we did. Unless I dreamed the whole thing. In which case I apologise for feeling mildly satisfied.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I agree with the leek-eaters on here that Joubert's style of managing the breakdown really favoured the Wobs. There is starting to develop (more clearly than before) a NH and SH style of breakdown. To be honest, I prefer the NH style of shifting bodies, instead of the SH style of timing yourself against the ref's patience.

As I was watching it, I was thinking "they won't like this on Gwlad."

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with the leek-eaters on here that Joubert's style of managing the breakdown really favoured the Wobs. There is starting to develop (more clearly than before) a NH and SH style of breakdown. To be honest, I prefer the NH style of shifting bodies, instead of the SH style of timing yourself against the ref's patience.
As I was watching it, I was thinking "they won't like this on Gwlad."

First thing is that there needs to be consistency. Joubert in ire vs wales reffed the breakdown completely differently from the game yesterday. We actually have same ref altering interpretations depending on hemisphere audience.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I really don't get the Horne hate. He didn't set the world on fire and he butchered a try in the first test, but he played solid defense and had a number of very good runs in every game (including today, to those who claim
he did nothing). Whether he will be in the side come the TRC is an open question (probably not if everyone is back from injury), but if you compare his game today to Fainga'a's anonymous half of footy, it's really no contest.

He's a solid young player with a lot of potential and some clear flaws to address. Why the hate?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No hate for him. Just for the selectors that have determined he deserves to be there no matter what the alternatives and evidence.

For me personally, I just haven't seen evidence of the hype that has dubbed him the 'next great wallaby 13' (mostly from tahs supporters to be fair.

Looking at our professional great wallaby 13's - Little, Herbert, Mortlock - I can't see him being close to them. Probably the closest in style to Little, but has no where near the footwork.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I really think we are in for a rude shock in the upcoming Rugby Championship. The unforced error count out there yesterday was appalling .Praise Allah (I don't thank God anymore, doesn't work) that Wales were just as bad.....The All Blacks won't be

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think Craig makes up his mind who the "dominant" team is and starts awarding them all the 50/50 penalties.
Think you r right. Happens in scrum too. But yesterday he also came on with a such fixed idea on breakdowns that neither side could establish any continuity inattack. as soon as ball went wide and a player was tackled the defending side would be allowed to pinch the ball. Under joubert s law You re not allowed to clean out the defenders. This is killing the game as a spectacle. I m all for making the breakdowns competitive but this was ridiculous. Think back to when Australia were dominant and how many times they swung the ball wide and won the ensuing ruck. What this interpretation encourages is posting back row across the field simply to ensure they can stand over the attacking player to get him pinged for not releasing. The ruck and maul are effectively dead as attacking platforms

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mind yew, one glimmer out of yesterday's nz romp is that the ref was French. There is no way that Joubert would allow abs to build such continuity. Better hope that he refs the bledisloe

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No hate for him. Just for the selectors that have determined he deserves to be there no matter what the alternatives and evidence.

For me personally, I just haven't seen evidence of the hype that has dubbed him the 'next great wallaby 13' (mostly from tahs supporters to be fair.

Looking at our professional great wallaby 13's - Little, Herbert, Mortlock - I can't see him being close to them. Probably the closest in style to Little, but has no where near the footwork.

Agreed, and I look forward to seeing someone take the mantel.

I just don't see anyone better around this year.

Other options, sure, but no one in the Little, Herbert, Mortlock level.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
A win is a win. Maybe not pretty, but this is no beauty contest.

The Welsh are no mugs, and we should give credit to Wobs for having the skills/luck to put the series away 3-0.
Yes and no. Both teams have great players- weren't allowed to show it. But international rugby is supposed to be the showcase of how good top level rugby is. When two good sides are unable to show that in perfect conditions, Houston we have a problem

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Think you r right. Happens in scrum too. But yesterday he also came on with a such fixed idea on breakdowns that neither side could establish any continuity inattack. as soon as ball went wide and a player was tackled the defending side would be allowed to pinch the ball. Under joubert s law You re not allowed to clean out the defenders. This is killing the game as a spectacle. I m all for making the breakdowns competitive but this was ridiculous. Think back to when Australia were dominant and how many times they swung the ball wide and won the ensuing ruck. What this interpretation encourages is posting back row across the field simply to ensure they can stand over the attacking player to get him pinged for not releasing. The ruck and maul are effectively dead as attacking platforms

More about the inaccurate cleanout and support for the attackers and average ball placement, that is why the ABs are often so effective, usually their cleanout work is so bloody good it takes away the pilfer, they come in low and drive them out of the way.

Yesterday the Wobs were trying for a deeper placement of the ball, further away from the defenders, whereas the Welsh were often keeping it closer to their body and being poached as they were "protecting" the ball

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
That s something I'd have look at on a replay . Not sure I ve got the stomach for that at the moment. Too hungover to look for details. Do know the nh websites are glowing red with comment re joubert. Think it a great shame for international rugby when two of best attacking sides are stymied. Could have been great spectacle yesterday. Both teams came to attack. At the end of day Australia shaded matches cos they had that bit more nous than welsh. Justified relative positions in irb rankings. Will give November rematch added spice. Most back home see spring tour as unnecessary waste of time. This tour will ve changed that. For me it s back to watching 3rd div subbies til then. Hac first xv doing well and we have duntroon this year. Wazee yah!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I've enjoyed the threads created for the Wales series. Some contributions get too personal, and some drag out the same argument for days, but generally a mixture of stats., opinions, bias and (most importantly) passion for the game!
I think there is an analagy between The Wallabies and "Black Caviar" at Royal Ascot, in that both (just) won against worthy opponents!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Oh and one last comment. Was glad to see Beale prove me wrong re chip kicks. If used v. V. Occasionally they can work! Just that we put to much welly on them.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Craig makes up his mind who the "dominant" team is and starts awarding them all the 50/50 penalties.

Not just in open play but also at the scrums.

Deans' decision to sub Kepu - was this forced through injury?

If not, that was a cataclysmally bad decision.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I really don't get the Horne hate. He didn't set the world on fire and he butchered a try in the first test, but he played solid defense and had a number of very good runs in every game (including today, to those who claim
he did nothing). Whether he will be in the side come the TRC is an open question (probably not if everyone is back from injury), but if you compare his game today to Fainga'a's anonymous half of footy, it's really no contest.

He's a solid young player with a lot of potential and some clear flaws to address. Why the hate?

I think Horne had a pretty good series overall but the 1st test butchered try and the very close to 3rd test butchered try both make it glaringly obvious that he sees the try line in front of him & becomes unaware of the safer option of passing for a certain try. He's a ball hog & as I've said before this makes him a very large liability at 13. Both instances could have cost us test wins.
If he works on this aspect of his game he has a good international future indeed.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
When the Wallabies were facing that late 5m defensive scrum, why did Wallaby coaches send on 2 new front rowers to have that set piece be their 1st involvement in the game?
Maybe there are rules about committing to send on replacement players with the touch judge, and subsequently you then have to send the replacements on at the next break in play, I don't know.
If not, a schoolboy coach wouldn't risk making those substitutions unless their scrum was on skids.

Status
Not open for further replies.