• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs All Blacks 10th August @Optus Stadium Perth

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That Irish tighthead was pretty good last year but AAA is damn near close.

Edit: remembered his name, Furlong.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thank for this insight. This is the type of contribution this site needs to keep discussion constructive.

Clearly meant to be a tongue in cheek comment Michael. But hopefully the rise and rise of JOC (James O'Connor) (and the emergence of Petaia with Kuridrani still in the mix) will once and for all put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s inclusion in the RWC squad to bed.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
That’s not what I was arguing against bud. He deserved to be punished.

But, going forward I would like to see it revisited in terms of what a red card means. Perhaps a 20min sin bin and that player cant return to the field could be considered.

I agree, then the Judiciary can wipe him out for as long as they like. That way the offender pays the penalty not the team, the game or the spectators.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Clearly meant to be a tongue in cheek comment Michael. But hopefully the rise and rise of JOC (James O'Connor) (and the emergence of Petaia with Kuridrani still in the mix) will once and for all put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s inclusion in the RWC squad to bed.
I reckon AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a great squad inclusion at the moment. The fact that he isn’t being selected in the 23 is probably indicative of his role in the squad. But it’s still interesting that in the whitewash of possibly our greatest ever smashing of the all blacks you managed to pull that rabbit out of your hat.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just looking at how the squad is shaping up for the RWC, there'll only be room for one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), DHP and Petaia to make the squad.........

The first two haven't been playing good enough this year to really deserve inclusion, and Petaia hasn't really played enough top level rugby.

But the centres are certainly well covered between Kerevi, kuridrani, JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua and both Lilo and Beale's ability to play at 12.

I would say they're more in need of another player who can cover wing, and I'd say Maddocks is no longer under consideration..........

I would lean towards Petaia as a wing/centre cover for Uruguay and Georgia.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kuridrani might not be safe. No one seems to have picked up on this but he went on holiday to Singapore last week. Very strange.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I mentioned that ages ago. It appears the Wallabies were given some R&R time after the Brisbane game where they had 13-14 days between games. I can’t see why that’s a problem.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't see anyone else taking a holiday. Especially out of the country. Next week is absent from the 23.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't see anyone else taking a holiday. Especially out of the country. Next week is absent from the 23.

It was mentioned elsewhere that other players were seen out having a good time........ but I'd be surprised if all the players personally let you know about their holiday plans?

If they go for the same centre partnership as last night, of course Kuridrani won't be in the 23.

He'll be starting at 13 in other games in the RWC though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And suddenly we have options at 13. Funny what a World Cup year does for depth.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just looking at how the squad is shaping up for the RWC, there'll only be room for one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), DHP and Petaia to make the squad...

The first two haven't been playing good enough this year to really deserve inclusion, and Petaia hasn't really played enough top level rugby.

But the centres are certainly well covered between Kerevi, kuridrani, JOC (James O'Connor), To'omua and both Lilo and Beale's ability to play at 12.

I would say they're more in need of another player who can cover wing, and I'd say Maddocks is no longer under consideration....

I would lean towards Petaia as a wing/centre cover for Uruguay and Georgia.
Fuck it, roll the dice. DHP and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) aren't good enough.

Rough on poor ol' DHP but that performance in the first test was truly horrific.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Just on the card, while I have always been an unabashed admirer of the AB's, one aspect I find very unattractive under Hansen's coaching is that of targeting a player with foul play.
Until the refs got onto it, first it was Folau in the air. It seemed every time he go up, an AB would take his legs from under him while looking up at the ball, I remember seeing Ben Smith do it right in front of me. Happily, the refs stopped that. Then it was Pocock, with their continued (unpenalized) neck rolls.
Last night, Hooper copped a blatant high tackle, followed soon after by a slap in the back of the head by Savea, and then the shoulder charge at the head by Barrett. Coincidence?? The track record would suggest not.

Reckon that’s a long shot.
Folau was clearly the best in the world with his aerial skills and there is no doubt the ABs tried to nullify this, often illegally.
Pocock was one of the best pilferers in the would at his peak and single handedly altered the outcome of some games - again he was clearly targeted at the breakdown, often illegally.
But hooper?? He’s just a workhorse with his head in everything and it’s going to get bashed occasionally. I highly doubt there was an ABs game plan to target him illegally in general play with cheap shots.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Observations:

In retrospect, should Hansen have departed the ABs with reputation intact in (say) 2017 and avoided a potentially embarrassing year for this team in 2019?

In prospect, in 2019 has the belated introduction of (a) an expanded and more objective selection panel and (b) the dispensing of the 'anointed' Larkham as Attack Coach, dramatically saved the Wallabies - and Australian rugby - from yet another embarrassing year?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Thor had his mum out and was showing her Brisbane. Just because some players don’t post it, doesn’t mean they don’t pop down to the beach or something.

Between JOC (James O'Connor) and Kerevi, there were two blokes who could cover 13 (and I guess Hodge). Back line subs can’t be one position players otherwise the split Cheika uses doesn’t work.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Reckon that’s a long shot.
Folau was clearly the best in the world with his aerial skills and there is no doubt the ABs tried to nullify this, often illegally.
Pocock was one of the best pilferers in the would at his peak and single handedly altered the outcome of some games - again he was clearly targeted at the breakdown, often illegally.
But hooper?? He’s just a workhorse with his head in everything and it’s going to get bashed occasionally. I highly doubt there was an ABs game plan to target him illegally in general play with cheap shots.
Last night was the moment that Hooper deniers faded into obscurity.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Of course they were targeting him.

The ABs are a professional outfit.
They identified specific parts of Folau and Pococks games that were a threat and sought to nullify them. Sometimes legally, often not.
Hooper doesn’t have that single dominant facet to target. It’s his all round ability as a work horse, link, defender etc that earns his plaudits.
Of course they would have identified his strengths and sought to nullify them as part of their game plan.
But to suggest they deliberately attacked his head with cheap shots as part of a predetermined game plan is utter bollocks. High risk, low reward. and unnecessary.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just on the card, while I have always been an unabashed admirer of the AB's, one aspect I find very unattractive under Hansen's coaching is that of targeting a player with foul play.
Until the refs got onto it, first it was Folau in the air. It seemed every time he go up, an AB would take his legs from under him while looking up at the ball, I remember seeing Ben Smith do it right in front of me. Happily, the refs stopped that. Then it was Pocock, with their continued (unpenalized) neck rolls.
Last night, Hooper copped a blatant high tackle, followed soon after by a slap in the back of the head by Savea, and then the shoulder charge at the head by Barrett. Coincidence?? The track record would suggest not.

Add to that list the tackle by Savea when Hooper was chasing the ball and not in possession.
“Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action” Ian Fleming.