• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would be angry right now but that outcome was predictable, Foley didnt improve his tactical kicking through the week, Phipps didn't change his habit of making crucial mistakes, Skelton hasn't turned into a lineout jumper nor has he improved his fitness to that of an 80min player.

All of these were highlighted and mentioned by others and myself in the week leading up to this match.

Granted picking only 2 lineout jumpers and selecting Skelton was exacerbated by the Simmons injury, but one area which could and should have been addressed is Foley's tactical kicking, its absolutely atrocious at the moment. Missing touch on a penalty 2 weeks in a row just doesn't cut the mustard at test level.

Absolutely. Great post TOCC.

The Simmons injury could have been negated with Mumm. Oh wait... the only time he decides not to choose a mediocre player on the bench we need him.

He simply isn't making smart selections. You risk starting Skelton you should have a back-up plan.

The 3rd Test was the ONLY time he needed Mumm there but the only time he wasn't selected.

I'm stumped.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
How the hell do you lose 3-0 to England scoring 4 tries in the first test match, have 70% possession in the second and then 5 tries in the third?

A game plan that is focused on, obsessed by and consumed by the need to make a single element in attack an imperative to validate a style of play rather than utilising all available methods of scoring; and the perception of how points are scored out-ways how many are scored.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A game plan that is focused on, obsessed by and consumed by the need to make a single element in attack an imperative to validate a style of play rather than utilising all available methods of scoring; and the perception of how points are scored out-ways how many are scored.

This.

Cheika is forcing his game-plan of "running-rugby" on the players. Rather then picking the best players and forming a strategy that suits their strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry Cheika, but your game plan doesn't work with no Potgeiter, Douglas, Beale, etc.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've never seen a worse performance at international level than Rob Horne tonight. We played with 14 men. He didn't look for the ball and he didn't find it. I never heard him called once in attack or defence. He can't be picked again.

The new Fijian winger the Rebels recruited from the Storm will replace Horne next year as offers genuine pace

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As opposed to just letting him run past? Get real - all ball players are targeted; that's the game.

No I think he literally had 2-3 players on him straight away every time, whereas everyone else had 1 or 2 only. They were also hitting him high.

I believe they were certainly targeting Skelton to either hold him up or slow the ball down.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
LOL glad I don't own a factory where you all work - you'd burn the joint down as soon as you didn't get the pay raise you wanted.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
LOL glad I don't own a factory where you all work - you'd burn the joint down as soon as you didn't get the pay raise you wanted.

Yeah I would if it was 3 years in a row.

And I was the favourite staff member to get a raise as I was ranked second best worker the previous year, now I'm only fourth best.

T

TOCC

I wouldn't burn it down, but i wouldn't go back slapping my boss after he cut my hours due to his own mismanagement either..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This is what annoys me. It is not a one-off problem. It is habit - Foley is a poor kicking. He can't fix it in a week. He needs 12 months of kicking practise.

This is a known issue.

Their should have been and could have been tactics in place to releive pressure of him. Eg. A box kick, or a second kicker - Easily could have used DHP more. Tonight To'omua could have been used more, but for some unknown reason they keep giving it to Foley.

The two longest kickers in the 23 are DHP and Frisby.

One of them had no tactics around getting him involved and the other didn't even get on the pitch.

It is so simple it really is hard to believe how the coaches haven't thought about it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.