• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Russia - last game before the QFs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually, it's about balancing good midfield defence with attacking opportunities...

We're now probably forced back into a Cooper/Barnes flyhalf combo, which is good attack but not as strong in defence...

Barnes' bootlace tackles at inside centre doesn't halt the opposition momentum, and provides them with offloading opportunities...

Barnes was great last night playing in his natural position at flyhalf, and it would've been great to see him there within the context of our best xv...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Actually, it's about balancing good midfield defence with attacking opportunities...

We're now probably forced back into a Cooper/Barnes flyhalf combo, which is good attack but not as strong in defence...

Barnes' bootlace tackles at inside centre doesn't halt the opposition momentum, and provides them with offloading opportunities...

Barnes was great last night playing in his natural position at flyhalf, and it would've been great to see him there within the context of our best xv...

dude, your pat mccabe love is unbelieveable, barnes defence is amazing, nuff said

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
We get it, you love McCabe, but he's not the answer!

9- Genia
10-Cooper
11-Mitchell
12-Barnes
13- Ashley-Cooper
14- O'Connor
15- Beale

I've long said that you can't play Finger and McCabe together, but I've now formed the view that the back line is unbalanced with either one of there. Both offer virtually nothing in attack, be it creativity or getting over the gain line (cf Nonu, Williams, Fourie, Jamie Roberts). Give me some combination of Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Horne against all comers.

H

hammer

Second Tier Team I'd like to see: (No disrespect to Russia)

1. Slipper
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Maafu
4. Sharpe
5. Simmons
6. Higgers
7. McCalmun / Robinson / Gill
8. Cliffy Palu (?) / Samo
9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. Tapuai
13. Turner
14. Morahan
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Vickerman
19. Elsom
20. Phipps
21. Gits
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Given that no one returns from the growing casualty ward.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Awaiting confirmation of replacement players but as it stands I believe we will see
1. Slipper/ Kepu
2. Faainga
3. Maafu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higginbottom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. ??
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

16. Moore
17. Kepu/ Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Samo
20. Elsom/ replacement
21. Burgess
22. Beale

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Gits would be a backward step, I would only consider him IF he was going to be a certain starter. It would be a backward step and even though the World Cup is not the place to blood a new guy, we have Tapuai from QLD who had a blinder by all reports in the Baa Baas game, has a S15 title to his name and also represents the future of Australian Rugby.

He has already performed in front of huge crowds for the Reds so is ready for a big vrowd atmoshere.

I think with Deans having his new contract it would make sense to add Taps as a backup to the bench, think of his defence with A Fainga'a in the S15 finals and think how handy this could be later in the tournament.

Unless we are certain that Gits can win us the WC then he is a backward step. He is leaving the country and will not add anything to our game in the future

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Interesting to compare the above lists vs the team that beat SA 39-20 in the Tri-Nations.
At least we had a reserve 7 in this game.
Tatafu will take Saia's slot.
Berrick is the new McCabe.
Burgess for Phipps.
Sharpe - what does he have to do to get a start ? Real leadership and go forward momentum. We will need bruisers for the SA game if it comes to it. Sharpe/Horwill/Vickers...

4 straight wins to get to Billy Ellis back...

Really hope the player's appreciate that a loss does not just mean you go home and think of next week.

Imagine if we beat SA. Imagine how big the weekend would be if we beat NZ at Eden Park in the SF...

Anyway, enough dreaming. One win at a time please...

Sekope Kepu LHP
Stephen Moore HOOK
Ben Alexander THP
Rob Simmons LCK1
James Horwill LCK2
Rocky Elsom BSFL
David Pocock OSFL
Ben McCalman NUM8
Will Genia HB
Quade Cooper FIV8
Digby Ioane LWNG
Pat McCabe ICEN
Adam Ashley-Cooper OCEN
James O'Connor RWNG
Kurtley Beale FBCK

Saia Fainga'a RHKR
Pek Cowan RPRP
Nathan Sharpe RLCK
Scott Higginbotham RFL
Matthew Hodgson RHB
Nick Phipps RBCK
Anthony Fainga'a RBCK

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think McCabe's alias is Slim, this has really gone too far now.

Bottom Line: The guy offers nothing we don't already have in at least 2 other players.

And because I know you're going to ask who... Ashley-Cooper, Fainga'a, Horne. The latter two both have showed enough to suggest that even though 12 is not their natural position, they still play the role better than McCabe.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Light, you are being unreasonable imo. We all know you aren't a McCabe fan. Plenty of people are. Plenty of people aren't. We all know why - he's excellent on defense but hasn't shown any flair in attack. We lose one game and as soon as we play the next one against a tier two team you are calling for his head.

I know this is an internet forum that plays favourites, but give McCabe some credit. The guy has delivered in an area of weakness for us, game in, game out, and done so with skill and guts. I can count on one hand the number of mistakes he has made in his 8 tests.

Is Barnes as good in defense? No. Is he good in defense? Yes. Is he as good at up the guts? No. Is he better than McCabe at sniping runs? Definitely. Setting plays? Absolutely. Is Horne a better player? Who knows, the poor bugger keeps getting injured and we never got to see what McCabe could do in a stint vs a low tier team, he got one easy try and had to come off.

Either way Slim is entitled to some respect for his view. He certainly has mine, not least because I share it 100%.

F

Fredfreduels

So I hear if you play a good game against the menacing and formidable USA rugby outfit you are far better than the top tackler of the tri-nations...Oh wait.

F

Fredfreduels

Against Russia

9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Horne/Giteau
13. Fainga'a
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

21. Phipps
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Against SA

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

21.Burgess
22. Fainga'a/Barnes

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This has to be our top available team to prepare for the next week. Exception is a few guys that need more game time.

Kepu
Tpn
Slipper
Horwill
Vickerman
Higgers
Pocock
Samo
Genia
Cooper
Mitchell
Barnes
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Beale

Barnes to play 10 in attack a bit to allow Cooper to range wider and to help control the game.

If Beale is unlikely then I would use one of McCabe/Horne subs for an outside back just to give him the ability to have the week off.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This has to be our top available team to prepare for the next week. Exception is a few guys that need more game time.

Kepu
Tpn
Slipper
Horwill
Vickerman
Higgers
Pocock
Samo
Genia
Cooper
Mitchell
Barnes
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Beale

Barnes to play 10 in attack a bit to allow Cooper to range wider and to help control the game.

If Beale is unlikely then I would use one of McCabe/Horne subs for an outside back just to give him the ability to have the week off.
Can't see them being used as subs this week, McCabe possibly is gone, Horne probably only slightly more chance to play on. I would start Sharpe / Horwill, Vicks on bench. Otherwise agree. Love to see Higgers start and show us what he can do other than 10 mins showboating on the wing (which is not a slight at him, but all he has been offered lately, which is a waste).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think McCabe's alias is Slim, this has really gone too far now.

Bottom Line: The guy offers nothing we don't already have in at least 2 other players.

And because I know you're going to ask who... Ashley-Cooper, Fainga'a, Horne. The latter two both have showed enough to suggest that even though 12 is not their natural position, they still play the role better than McCabe.

If you can cite test match examples (you can't) then I'll acknowledge thus as more than a spiteful rant..

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Ruskis may not have many points on the scoreboard but they have been hitting bloody hard and they play for keeps.

We have to be careful not to risk any more injuries from then.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Ruskis may not have many points on the scoreboard but they have been hitting bloody hard and they play for keeps.

We have to be careful not to risk any more injuries from then.

How do you not risk injuries every time you play?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Really? I love patty mccabe, he is a very industrious performer. But Rob Horne is so far superior to him, even with all the rust crusting his joints and timing. Rob Horne is a superstar, however, I just can't help but feel he and Ben Tune will become very good mates in the future.

Ben tune played almost 50 test matches - good luck to Horne if he even plays 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.