• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Mate of mine from the Land of the Darkness who was a long time Wellington (NZ) resident claims he doesn't know what all the fuss over the weather is about.

Claims we are all weak as p***. "Just like the old days at Athletic Park with a gentle breeze rolling in off Cook Strait and a wee bit of moisture".

If you want wet weather footy he says look up NZ v Scotland in 1974 at Eden Park on youtube. He claims that the St John's Ambulance staff that day had scuba gear on there was so much water in the in goal areas.

Wow, what a f**king hard man! Seriously, what is cold & what is hot is relative to where you live & what you are aclimatised to. I work as a construction worker. I work with Kiwis that have been in Oz for a few years. One bloke from the South Island told me he used to go to work in NZ's winter wearing shorts & short sleeved shirts but after briefly going back after a few years in Oz he was called a panzy for having to rug up. I.e he had become used to warmer weather.

This is the same as the number of new Kiwi's I've worked with in the summer who can't hack our heat & humidity & are constantly going down with dehydration & nausea while the rest of us are working (beating chest behind the keyboard, ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi - sarcasm folks). I don't call them wimps, they just haven't got used to it. Would be nice to get the same when its reversed!

I don't think a ground is harder just because its underwater. The local women's teams here have played at grounds like Gibbs Bros, a nice ground, but when it rains you can't see the side lines & some areas are literally under 15cm or more of water & other areas are sludge. I think its easier as a player on these grounds running around though than sitting there not moving as a spectator.

I'd like to see him say we are weak as p*** to my 61 year old mother straight after she braved the weather all night. Quite simply, the hard man, would have ended up with his gonads lodged up in his throat.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In games like this if you don't take your points or you're not clever enough to engineer the try then invariable the opposition will eventually get a chance at the other end.

Words of wisdom.

In general - (and I say that deliberately in case I am offered examples I already know, of particulars when it hasn't been the case) - Aussies are rugby innocents and are more prone to not succeed in the situation they were in last night compared to the other ranked teams - even if the players in those other teams are not as good on paper.

Around the time of the 1999 RWC, a year before and a couple of years later, we had a side who were prone to do the opposite. Folks may say we had more great players then, and we did, but part of their greatness was in the top inches as demonstrated by their composure and patience under pressure. Even the not so great players in the Eales' teams had it. Had they played last night they would have won and it wouldn't have been because they were better athletes etc.

I don't really have a point because I don't know which current Oz players weren't on the park last night and could have provided more composure and patience under pressure. Just saying.

D

daz

Nothing. We are still #2, Scotland is up to #10.

Cool. Nothing broken. Nothing to see folks. Move on please.

It might also mean we can wipe the whole night from memory and Newcastle can go back to being a re-fuelling point between Sydney and Brisbane.

;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I wont be that upset if I was a Wallaby supporter. I know its not nice losing to any NH team but you lot had the same against the Poms in the past. If you take into consideration its only a few days after the last S15 match (goodness crazy the one that appoint this fixture should be shot dead) , its a newest team and the conditions a huge equaliser. Mind you I'll be heavy upset if we drop saturdays test against the Poms but thats just because its them. Good luck for saturday, bliksem those Druids.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Bruce I'll bite.

Have you ever tried to write an article during a rugby game, with a deadline to publish just after the final whistle is blown? Keep in mind that you still have to be watching the game as you write, and chances are you are in a cramped press box with members of the crowd regularly banging on the windows.

For fuck's sake cut the bloke some slack that his work isn't up to your lofty grammatical standards.

In a more considered opinion piece I agree that poor grammar and spelling is not really acceptable. But in a lightning review intended to be the first thing up after the game? There are always going to be a few rushed sentences and patchy grammar.

And I suspect you know that but decided to stick the boot in anyway.
How is this any different from the absolute caning that Greg Crowden gets about his articles, that go without comment from you?
With respect, had you not chided BR on this site at the behest of IP originally, this would never have become an issue.
Seriously,deadlines/pressure is no excuse for that quality of writing.It was not really his best work was it?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies were not that bad and maybe a little more respect should be directed at the Scots. There was some real gutsy efforts out there in that game.

There were some very good performances in that game last night. Dan Palmer had a fine debut and congratulations to him. Barnes tried his arse off in some very trying conditions and I thought played well. Digby and Ant Fainga'a were just bloody sensational. They seemed to be involved in everything.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Excuse me? I've been leading the charge on Growden for years. I can still show you the letter I sent SMH a few years back to try and have him replaced.

I am just as happy to stick the boot into journos as anyone, but only when the situation dictates.

In my view that criticism was unwarranted, I thought the article was fine.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You missed my point, that you are fine with anyone slipping the boot into GC.
Not so with this bloke. If you believe that body of work was above criticism, then I would suggest that your personal relationship is blinding you to the facts.
It's nice that you are loyal, I suppose.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Get off it mate.

I will stick up GG if someone has a crack at an article I otherwise thought was fine. It's just that that occurance is so rare that the situation has never arisen.

And I would suggest you have no idea about any of my personal relationships and such unfounded shite has no place on this thread or this site.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Wallabies were not that bad and maybe a little more respect should be directed at the Scots. There was some real gutsy efforts out there in that game.

There were some very good performances in that game last night. Dan Palmer had a fine debut and congratulations to him. Barnes tried his arse off in some very trying conditions and I thought played well. Digby and Ant Fainga'a were just bloody sensational. They seemed to be involved in everything.

What did Barnes do well?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
A few people have put the boot into Genia but not nearly enough. I wouldn't care except it makes me worry that not enough people appreciate the value of quick ball. I'd go as far as saying it's the whole bloody point of rugby. Genia played like no-one in his life had ever suggested that getting quick ball was important. How on earth are you supposed to break down defences like that?? I guess they answered that question last night.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
A few people have put the boot into Genia but not nearly enough. I wouldn't care except it makes me worry that not enough people appreciate the value of quick ball. I'd go as far as saying it's the whole bloody point of rugby. Genia played like no-one in his life had ever suggested that getting quick ball was important. How on earth are you supposed to break down defences like that?? I guess they answered that question last night.

But he doesn't do it at the Reds, so it must be a Deans tactic right?

A

ABBA

Horrible night, awful result. I was staggered to read in the paper today that WE WON THE TOSS AND CHOSE TO PLAY INTO THE WIND!

Never mind all the criticism of the kicking by Barnes and Faainga spending the whole game offside in the loose, that decision alone cost the game. Hoof it upfeild, Play it in their half, healthy lead, defend and play safe second half?

No, lets do it real tough against people who play in this weather every week and who know each other and then we can coast home in the second half? Who on earth made that decision?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
But he doesn't do it at the Reds, so it must be a Deans tactic right?

Let's put last night down to a valuable learning experience during our rebuilding phase. Clarity of tactics and being on the same page together are lessons best learnt hindsight. Quick ball, well that will make it to the game plan once we have learnt that lesson enough.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Horrible night, awful result. I was staggered to read in the paper today that WE WON THE TOSS AND CHOSE TO PLAY INTO THE WIND!

Never mind all the criticism of the kicking by Barnes and Faainga spending the whole game offside in the loose, that decision alone cost the game. Hoof it upfeild, Play it in their half, healthy lead, defend and play safe second half?

No, lets do it real tough against people who play in this weather every week and who know each other and then we can coast home in the second half? Who on earth made that decision?
It will be stupid to win the toss and play with the wind in the first half. First time I read this. Always play against the wind in the first half. Genia and Barnes should also have tried to kick with a low tragetion into the wind. They tried way to often the up and under kicking which is a bitch to get right in those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.