• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
These guys don't need much training. Basically all they need to know is the lineout calls and backline moves.

The Wallabies only have four different lineout calls anyway. They use a pretty simple 'magic number', usually an 8. Vickerman/Simmons/Sharpe calls three numbers, and whichever one the 8 is in is where the ball is going- the front, the middle or the back. The other move is a variation where the ball goes to the front man. Oh, and if they put in a cars name at the end it's a drive ball. So it really only takes an hour to pick this up.

And the backs have only three moves- overs, unders and cut 1. But they aren't called that (duh), they are called 'Electric', 'Light' and 'Orchestra' (Robbie is a real fan of 1970s orchestral rock). Again this only takes an hour to pick up.

You spend the second hour of training doing kickoffs and scrums, and then finish with a game of touch. Boom.

One of your best mate

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Geez! Deans wants Beale to play all four tests. KB (Kurtley Beale) possibly plays for the Rebels on the Friday beforehand as well. Big, big schedule...

fox link

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says Kurtley Beale has big role to play in Tests against Scotland and Wales
  • AAP May 24, 2012 2:18PM
751107-kurtley-beale.jpg

Playmaker ... Beale is looming as a key man for the Wallabies next month. Source:

GREG WOOD / AFP

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has given a strong indication he wants Kurtley Beale to play five-eighth in Australia's opening two Tests within four days of each other.

Beale will face a gruelling week with his Melbourne Rebels playing on Friday June 1, Australia facing Scotland the following Tuesday and the first of three Tests against Wales four days later. Deans says Beale is vital to the Wallabies' hopes of beating Scotland and Wales and believes he's capable of playing three games in eight days.
"We're chasing four wins in three weeks, that's our priority. We will select in order to achieve that," Deans said on Thursday. "Hopefully he's available for all four, because clearly he's an integral part of our group."

Beale has stepped up from fullback to five-eighth with great effect for the Rebels in the past month following the departure of Danny Cipriani and injury to James O'Connor. And with Quade Cooper making a 40-minute return from a knee reconstruction for Queensland Reds last week, Beale is the first in line for the Wallabies' No.10 jumper.

While Deans says he'll select different teams for the Tuesday and Saturday Tests, he's abandoned the idea of only choosing Queensland Reds and Western Force players to play Scotland.

"Because the Reds and Force have the bye the weekend before we thought it may be in our best interests to only pick them, but when it got closer to the event the reality is it's a Test match and we want to win it," he said. Deans said many players will be selected for both Tests, but hinted the two forward packs will be markedly different.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
I've got a sneaking suspicion that this test may be Samoa v2.0.

Scotland have been playing solid rugby lately and shouldn't be taken lightly, however the ARU in there haste to get more tests in are forcing a B team to be selected. Personally I think its a little disrespectful to the Scots, the Australian Players who will be selected, and the fans up in Newcastle.

There was an article in the SMH (I think) last week saying that Deans was concerned about the above happening so was looking to play a close to full strength team, ie not a B team with a bunch of bit players and first timers so hopefully that's the case. (Though from memory it was from Growden the Hutt so it probably has no basis in reality whatsoever).

On a related note I hope the Lions do a regional tour as in 2001, when I saw them play the Cockatoos in Coffs Harbour.

Looks like Newy (or more correctly Canberra) is as regional as it gets for the 2013 Lions tour as per http://www.lionsrugby.com/fixtures/index.php Given there's 5 SupeRugby teams now the game against a combined NSW/Qld country team is the only non professional team they'll be playing.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Let's hope that, in the light of the ARU 'un-releasable report', if things do go pear shaped in the two upcoming tests then the ARU will ditch Deans, quickly in one motion, just like a band-aid, 'pow'! Right off!

Apologies Jerry.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Geez! Deans wants Beale to play all four tests. KB (Kurtley Beale) possibly plays for the Rebels on the Friday beforehand as well. Big, big schedule...

I read somewhere today Hill saying that if Deans selected any Rebels players that he would agree to rest them for the test matches.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Let's hope that, in the light of the ARU 'un-releasable report', if things do go pear shaped in the two upcoming tests then the ARU will ditch Deans, quickly in one motion, just like a band-aid, 'pow'! Right off!

Apologies Jerry.
Prepare to be disappointed

T

TOCC

I actually think James Hanson should start at Hooker in the Scotland test, i think his game style is more suited to test rugby then Saia is, and his stats are looking pretty impressive so far in 2012. It would also alleviate the problem of having to pick a player who is playing/has the bye etc.

J

Jiggles

There was an article in the SMH (I think) last week saying that Deans was concerned about the above happening so was looking to play a close to full strength team, ie not a B team with a bunch of bit players and first timers so hopefully that's the case.

Deans says many things, and does the complete opposite 90% of the time.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
"Because the Reds and Force have the bye the weekend before we thought it may be in our best interests to only pick them, but when it got closer to the event the reality is it's a Test match and we want to win it," he said.

Translation: I had this half-assed idea that I threw out there so that people think I actually think about these things, but now that I have to pick a team I'll be fucked if I can make it work.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
This is my guess at the side to play Scotland. I assume it will be primarily Force/Reds with a few Rebels because they play on the Friday.

1- Pek Cowan
2- Saia Fainga'a
3- James Slipper/Ma'afu (depends if Slipper is considered for the test vs Wales, which he should be, but may not be because of limited props for this test, plus Deans likes Ma'afu for some reason)
4- Rob Simmons
5- James Horwill
6- Scott Higginbotham
7- David Pocock
8- Ben McCalman
9- Will Genia
10- Kurtley Beale
11- Digby Ioane
12- Mike Harris
13- Anthony Fainga'a
14- Nick Cummins
15- Ben Lucas (defends at 10)

16: James Hanson
17- Greg Holmes
18- Luke Jones
19- Matt Hodgson
20- Nick Phipps
21- Quade Cooper
22- Cooper Vuna/Dom Shipperely

Edit:Did not include Hugh Pyle as I think he will be a part of the Welsh series

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Looks like the Elsom sceptics had a point to prove and have:
Former captain Elsom to miss Wallabies selection
Josh Rakic
May 25, 2012 - 9:09AM

No Wallaby start ... Rocky Elsom has missed selection for the Australian squad. Rocky Elsom has been cut from the Wallabies by coach Robbie Deans less than a year after being stripped of the national captaincy.

And with the ARU expecting the blindside flanker to take up opportunities in Japan or France in 2013, the No.6 may have played his last game in the green and gold jumper.

Waratahs contacts in South Africa last night confirmed Elsom, who suffered a shoulder injury in last week's loss to the Lions, had been overlooked for the upcoming Tests against Scotland and Wales.

After pushing through last year's World Cup with serious leg and shoulder injuries, it's likely the official line will be that Elsom has been rested to continue his recovery from eight months on the sidelines. Elsom has had limited game time since making his Super Rugby return last month.

Elsom stands to lose in excess of $40,000 by not playing the series.

Considered one of the Wallabies' greatest ever No.6s it will be the first time - when available - that Elsom hasn't been selected for the Wallabies since making his Test debut in 2005.

Should Elsom miss two more matches this season, he will fail to activate a clause in his contract which gives him an opportunity to continue at the Waratahs on his current salary. And while Waratahs coaching staff want to retain Elsom - who, when fit, is one of rugby's most devastating players - it's understood Waratahs management are prepared to let Elsom leave at year's end to pursue significant offers in either Japan or France.

His departure would save the Waratahs and ARU in excess of $300,000 and $400,000 respectively.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I'll have a go;

1- Alexander
2- S Moore
3- Slipper
4- Rob Simmons
5- Sharpe (c)
6- Ben McCalman
7- Hooper
8- Higgers
9- Will Genia
10- Quade Cooper
11- J Tomane
12- Mike Harris
13- Anthony Fainga'a
14- Nick Cummins
15- K Beale

16: S Finger
17- Pek Cowan
18- Hugh Pyle
19- Matt Hodgson
20- Nick Phipps
21- Ben Lucas
22- Dom Shipperely

Half-time:
Beale to switch to 10 in second half, QC (Quade Cooper) to come off and 15 to be replaced by either Ship's or Lucas... Moore also to be replaced at half time by S Finger provided we have a solid lead.

Provided the lead is solid, these subs also in the second half at some stage;
Alexander for Cowan
Higgers for Hodgson (McCalman to go to 8)
Genia for Phipps
Pyle for Simmons

Deans to start Tah's front row against Wales with Moore to play the last 30...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Oh the hyperbole. Greatest ever 6's one of most devastating players indeed. Most overrated would be closer to the mark , along with disloyal, and possibly divisive. He had two good seasons in gold before going OS and playing his best rugby. People's memories are clouded by that.He has never been in the top three and arguably not even in the top 5 of the best 6's in the world.

Would be happy to see him go as he should never have been signed or perhaps only on a pay for play basis same for Vickerman. Now for the useless inept managers that deemed this pair to be the future of the tags or even a short term fix.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Im happy with the decision to drop Rocky. Id be starting Dennis, Mowen, Higgers, McCalman at 6, all ahead of Rocky.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Oh the hyperbole. Greatest ever 6's one of most devastating players indeed. Most overrated would be closer to the mark , along with disloyal, and possibly divisive. He had two good seasons in gold before going OS and playing his best rugby. People's memories are clouded by that.He has never been in the top three and arguably not even in the top 5 of the best 6's in the world.

Would be happy to see him go as he should never have been signed or perhaps only on a pay for play basis same for Vickerman. Now for the useless inept managers that deemed this pair to be the future of the tags or even a short term fix.

A bit revisionist there mate, Elsom left Aus playing great, best 6 in world - probably not, but top rate test 6 - sure, absolutely. He continues to play great in Ireland and comes back to Aus with an increased reputation and signs with the Brumbies and is made Wobs Captain.

At that stage where is the problem?

So he gets back wounded and has struggled to find enough game time to get that consistency back. That happens, it is unfortunate, but a reality of professional sport.

The Tahs then sign him to a contract that has provisos over game time to trigger his option for the following year. Again a sensible approach because, fit and healthy, the guy is a top world class 6 when fit and an asset.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A bit revisionist there mate, Elsom left Aus playing great, best 6 in world - probably not, but top rate test 6 - sure, absolutely. He continues to play great in Ireland and comes back to Aus with an increased reputation and signs with the Brumbies and is made Wobs Captain.

At that stage where is the problem?

So he gets back wounded and has struggled to find enough game time to get that consistency back. That happens, it is unfortunate, but a reality of professional sport.

The Tahs then sign him to a contract that has provisos over game time to trigger his option for the following year. Again a sensible approach because, fit and healthy, the guy is a top world class 6 when fit and an asset.

Proof perhaps that professional athletes can no longer play three back-to-back rugby seasons like Elsom tried to do. He came back slightly crocked and has never really got back on the field, let alone into form.

It's a lesson for potential future sabbatical-takers.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
People have described the Scotland test scheduling as a monumental stuff up because the Australian players only have four days turn around. Just saw highlights of Greg Inglis destroying the Raiders TWO days after playing State of Origin.

The players want to play rugby. As long as there are no injuries they'll be fine IMO.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There was an article (admittedly a few years ago now) that looked at the Broncos success after State of Origin. They were actually more successful if they had the Friday game (but evidently didn't work tonight) and their success rate dropped off the later they played - ie they were less successful on Sunday than they were on Saturday. Although from memory the article didn't actually suggest a reason for this, it simply highlighted the stats.

The bigger problem is actually ongoing wear and tear and delayed fatigue. I am not sure if it was in the same article or not, but Kelvin Giles talked about how run down the players were by the end of the origin series.

So while they may all back up fine for the Scotland test, and even the first test, it is the second and third tests where there is potential for fatigue to set in. In theory anyway.

One favourable difference though is that the test series is not all midweek games with club fixtures still on each weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.