• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simmons?

He was poor in the first two rounds.......

Definitely would have Carter, Pyle or Fardy well ahead of him on form.........

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Well you're only as good as your last game. And simmons' was exceptionally good in his last game. I've taken into account the fact that Simmons has infinitely more experience at test level than those three.

I certainly think they're all close.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Taking into account his form from his last game, he's still well behind the other guys.........

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe. I've approached the selection process as a coach would. Simmons has a wealth of experience in test rugby and if he can continue to put out performances like he did on Saturday he sneaks in ahead of the other three.

Also, I'm not sold on Pyle's ability to play a tight game. Seems to spend a lot of time in the backline (possibly by design?).

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wallabies team (based on first three rounds)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Mitchell Chapman
5. Hugh Pyle
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. Kyle Godwin
11. Digby Ioane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Mitch Inman
14. Clyde Rathbone
15. Jesse Mogg

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Tetera Faulkner
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Scott Fardy
20. David Pocock
21. Nick Phipps
22. Quade Cooper
23. Israel Folau

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I've been impressed with Mitch Inman the last two rounds. Think this could be a breakout year for him. He is big and rangy, but has pretty good basic skills and tackles hard.

He doesn't yet have the knack of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Taps to change his running angles to get through gaps, but he is clearly improving with each game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simmons?

He was poor in the first two rounds...

Definitely would have Carter, Pyle or Fardy well ahead of him on form...
He seems to be under the impression that he has to impose himself on the opposition, to the point of forgoing his job to hit them. Against the Canes you saw him when he doesn't do that. If that form continues, it would be foolish to not consider him.

Carter of Pyle are the two most likely to be brought up, we need a jumper at 4 and we all know Big Kev will be at 5.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Horwill has played what, one season out of the last three and we're giving him two months of rugby before he's ready to face the Lions? I won't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't make it.

Inman is too limited to play for the Wallabies. He's a bosher and not a great one at that.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Horwill has played what, one season out of the last three and we're giving him two months of rugby before he's ready to face the Lions? I won't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't make it.

YES. Easily the best lock we have. Hasn't he missed only 6 months out of the last 3 years, his knee was way back in 2009 wasn't it?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
No doubt he's the best long we have. Zero dispute.

He busted his knee in 2010, and his hamstring in May last year from memory. That's really not a lot of rugby. And look what happened to Mitchell. There's just no guarantee he'll come back the same.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Inman is too limited to play for the Wallabies. He's a bosher and not a great one at that.

I wasn't suggesting he should be picked for the Lions. I agree he isn't ready yet. But he is still relatively young and has showed real signs of improvement in the first few rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him on the EOYT in some capacity.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
MMM was immense in the force-bulls game.

I think he will be on the bench covering 4/6, so that deans can carry two opensides in the 23.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)

I think he will be on the bench covering 4/6, so that deans can carry two opensides in the 23.

Will two opensides be necessary given that the Lions probably won't have a natural fetcher in the test 23 (SOB/Robshaw at 7)? Or is it because Dingo doesn't know his best option at 7?

Scotty

David Codey (61)

MMM is so good on the ball he is basically a third openside, but with the ability to be a great line out target. Here is hoping for a injury free season for him.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Will two opensides be necessary given that the Lions probably won't have a natural fetcher in the test 23 (SOB/Robshaw at 7)? Or is it because Dingo doesn't know his best option at 7?

He'll be pressured to play two opensides in the 23 because we have 3 of the top 5 in the world. And also because we are stuffed without one.

Fetching isn't as important as it use to be, but having fast on ballers who can both secure quick ball and slow down opposition ball is crucial to Australia's gameplan. Without it we can't build any flow and as such become disjointed and frustrated.

Beating the wallabies is about divide and conquer. If you let Australia dictate terms for any sustained period we normally win, but when you stop the momentum through stoppages in play, reset scrums, substitutions, penalties, tries against the run of play etc. we have no answer and lose control of the game.

The wallabies are not a confidence team because they are inherently confident, but they are a momentum team.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think what we badly need is a blindside flanker on the bench who is fast enough to fill in at open if needed.

A Victor Vito type.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Team of the week is probably
1. Benn Robinson
2. Saia Fainga'a (Lifting his game)
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Mitchell Chapman
5. Hugh Pyle
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Richard Brown
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Bernard Foley (poor week for all 10s)
11. Digby Ioane
12. Kyle Godwin (This guy has as good as locked in his jersey)
13. Mitch Inman (Can't really be anyone else, sadly)
14. Who the hell knows? Nobody deserves this.
15. Israel Folau (A really un-selfish player, defended well and helped set up a try)

Interesting selection in a WALLABIES WATCH thread.

Would be nice to have a team of the week thread but I guess TOTW & WW go hand in hand.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Does anyone on the East Coast stay awake to watch the Force?

Surprised there's not one mention of young Angus Cottrell who put in another 80 minute effort.

BTW is this thread a moot point, I'm pretty sure the ARU has this thing called top-ups for wallabies & that Robbie Deans might end up having to pick a team based on 60% reputation 40% form. But I could be wrong. I am not a selector so have no idea about the actual process.

Status
Not open for further replies.