• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight needs 36 months in Aus to be eligible, he signed for the 2011 season so assume he's been here late 2010. I think he'll only be eligible later in the year.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
He has been a Brumby for 3-4 years, but when he returned to NZ for the ITM cup a year or two back, he re-started the clock.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
<Quote>I know I'm flogging a dead horse here but the continual inclusion of George Smith in peoples teams is pointless due to his current ineligibility.<\quote>

FFS the dead horse being flogged is that George is somehow ineligible. He's eligible to play for the Wallabies during the IRB June test window, which covers all three Lions tests, he's playing in the Australian system so selectors can judge his merits for selection. Any questions regarding his contractual arrangements to any club, be it a Japanese one or a Martian one, is irrelevant. Obviously the Brumbies are conducting themselves politely and respectfully towards Suntory, but that should have F-all to do with international selection during a sanctioned test window.

The media and the ARU media unit are to blame for any conjecture beyond this.

Its a simple question of whether George wants to play and if Deans wants to select him. End of.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
<Quote>I know I'm flogging a dead horse here but the continual inclusion of George Smith in peoples teams is pointless due to his current ineligibility.<\quote>

FFS the dead horse being flogged is that George is somehow ineligible. He's eligible to play for the Wallabies during the IRB June test window, which covers all three Lions tests, he's playing in the Australian system so selectors can judge his merits for selection. Any questions regarding his contractual arrangements to any club, be it a Japanese one or a Martian one, is irrelevant. Obviously the Brumbies are conducting themselves politely and respectfully towards Suntory, but that should have F-all to do with international selection during a sanctioned test window.

Its a simple question of whether George wants to play and if Deans wants to select him. End of.

I don't think this is true. As a player who has retired from international rugby and plays for a country that has a policy of not selecting foreign contracted players, Suntory would be well within their rights to have it in his contract that he is not available for international selection even for matches within the IRB test window.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
The IRB wouldn't care if Australia selected a player not contracted to an Australian club - plenty of other nations select players not locally contracted, so then the contractual issue becomes simply one for ARU numbnuts to resolve against their internal 'rules'.

If George wants to play, it'll only be ARU / Deans stupidity that prevents it from happening.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The IRB wouldn't care if Australia selected a player not contracted to an Australian club - plenty of other nations select players not locally contracted, so then the contractual issue becomes simply one for ARU numbnuts to resolve against their internal 'rules'.

If George wants to play, it'll only be ARU / Deans stupidity that prevents it from happening.

Exactly. It's got nothing to do with the IRB. It's an ARU designed to protect the game of Rugby in Australia. It's a good policy and it works well.

If George wanted to play he knew precisely what he would need to do to play. He didn't do that so there's no use finger pointing and getting all bent out of shape.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Exactly. It's got nothing to do with the IRB. It's an ARU designed to protect the game of Rugby in Australia. It's a good policy and it works well.

If George wanted to play he knew precisely what he would need to do to play. He didn't do that so there's no use finger pointing and getting all bent out of shape.
Except that at this stage we need him more than he needs us - not that he has ever treated the Wallabies in that way.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Except that at this stage we need him more than he needs us - not that he has ever treated the Wallabies in that way.
I think that's the other half of the argument IS. I don't think we need him. I would never argue against the value having him in the squad would bring, but we don't 'need' him.

EDIT: I just noticed this was in the Wallabies Watch thread. I know I brought it up here but we should probably move this part of the discussion over to the dedicated thread for G.Smith debate. I don't know if a Mod might want to move the related posts across?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think that's the other half of the argument IS. I don't think we need him. I would never argue against the value having him in the squad would bring, but we don't 'need' him.
I was never entirely sure of the difference between a need and a want - the line is finer than ever in this case:)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

That's not right. While it's true the IRB doesn't care, he's ineligible according to the ARU's rules unless he has a current contract with an Australian franchise.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The pieces are falling into place for G. Smith!!

George Smith to play out season with ACT Brumbies, now available for selection against the British and Irish Lions
Jim Tucker, The Courier-Mail: April 17, 2013 12:00AM
... Suntory told Jake White they can utilise Smith's services until the end of Super Rugby in early August after overtures from the savvy Brumbies coach. The mouthwatering spin-off is that Smith is now physically available for the three blockbusters against the Lions on June 22, June 29 and July 6.​
Last month, Smith said there had been "no direct or indirect conversations with the ARU.'' That may soon change. ...​

Read More: Here

Jake White and the Brumbies are being pro active trying to retain Smith.
Whilst all i read is that the ARU is sitting on their hands doing nothing.
Watching this transpire, or reading it the way it reads is as frustrating as watching the Wallabies over the past 2 years. Whether it being in the board room, or on the padock I don't see any positive play.

Yeah, I'm a Smith fan so I'm bias.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
So this is the team I'm leaning towards at this stage.

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. James Horwill
5. Kane Douglas / Rob Simmons
6. Ben Mowen
7. Liam Gill
8. Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Digby Ioane James O'Connor / Cooper
11. James O'Connor / Cooper Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Tomane
15. Beale / Mogg

16.Ben Robinson
17.TPN
18.Slipper
19.MMM
20.Smith
21.White
22.Lilo
23. McCabe

Front Row - I've gone for combinations and balance. The starting front row is our best combination and Alexandar's work rate makes up for Palmer's reduced workrate. again the bench makes use of the established combination between Robinson and TPN. Both guys are strong scrummagers so they should be paired with Slipper who has a high workrate but needs strong partners to compete at scrum time.

Second Row - Douglas would be my first choice to partner Horwill, but Simmons is looking in great form atm and he has added experience on his side.

I've gone for Smith and MMM as reserves for two reasons. Firstly they offer the best versatility (smith covering 6, 7, 8 - MMM covering 4, 5, 6) allowing us to play an extra back on the bench if we're so inclined. secondly they are both experienced players which we can rely on with 20 minutes left on the clock.

For the backs I'm warming to the idea of Cooper at flyhalf but it still seems unlikely because of a) Deans and b) the fact that he continues to play at fullback on defence.

I'd be happy with Tomane and Ioane as our wingers (or JOC (James O'Connor) if he's not chosen at flyhalf).

I'd go with beale at the back if he's fit and and in form but otherwise I'm happy with Mogg.

In the reserves Lilo is the first and obvious choice. McCabe also because he provides cover for outside centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.