• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Unless Folau greatly improves he shouldn't be in the squad...
We still have a good bit of Super Rugby in between us and the Lions and he has improved markedly each game. The ARU is going to look like a fucking fool if they don't use him so that is definitely a factor. He's big, fast and mobile though and is already one of the best in Super Rugby at breaking the first tackle, what much else do you want from a winger? While he doesn't have rugby test experience he has been exposed to the test environment through league before, although it doesn't draw up to a Lions test it is better than nothing. Can he kick? Okay no, not very well at least. We've also fielded lots of wings that can't kick in the past and it hasn't stopped us from winning games.

I think time is going to be the biggest thing here. That and the ARU throwing money at him and their need to save face.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think he's showing anything more than many of the talented outside backs we already have.........

There's a lot of exaggeration of his current abilities mixed with the hope that he'll at some stage be the greatest thing since Timana Tahu.......

At the moment he's in no position to earn a place in the Lions series.........

Maybe later in the year he could get a look in, but then Speight becomes eligible and he's already everything people want Folau to be..........

T

TOCC

We still have a good bit of Super Rugby in between us and the Lions and he has improved markedly each game. The ARU is going to look like a fucking fool if they don't use him so that is definitely a factor. He's big, fast and mobile though and is already one of the best in Super Rugby at breaking the first tackle, what much else do you want from a winger? While he doesn't have rugby test experience he has been exposed to the test environment through league before, although it doesn't draw up to a Lions test it is better than nothing. Can he kick? Okay no, not very well at least. We've also fielded lots of wings that can't kick in the past and it hasn't stopped us from winning games.

I think time is going to be the biggest thing here. That and the ARU throwing money at him and their need to save face.

I would like him to understand the technicalities of the game, the rules and to lower his error rate.....
Super Rugby is a testing bed, but Test rugby is a different ball game, where one simple error can cost you the game... Currently Izzy makes too many of these 'simple errors'..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can he kick? Okay no, not very well at least. We've also fielded lots of wings that can't kick in the past and it hasn't stopped us from winning games.

I'd say he is a much better kicker than Ioane already. He made two kicks for the Tahs against the Force. Both found touch and made 30+ metres of territory.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I like the fact that the new wallabies jersey looks like it has a green hook around each players neck - a little extra motivation
Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 12.15.02 PM.png

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would bet London to a brick on that Folau will be in the squad.

I would also bet that the Australian coach was consulted before the ARU offered Folau a top-up.

Apart from anything else, he is obviously a player of great natural talent, he comes across as level-headed, and eager to learn. I would love to see him continue to improve, because a player like this does not pop up very often. He has just about all the raw material that a great rugby player needs, especially the temperament and attitude.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Folau might not be up to wallabies winger standard yet but don't forget he's better at breaking tackles, offloading, catching, passing and kicking than Vuna.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
So, knowing Deans and the options he has, I'd think he would select like this:
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. MMM
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Barnes

16. TPN/Fainga'a/Hanson
17. Alexander
18. Slipper/Ryan/Kepu
19. Douglas/Timani/Simmons
20. Higgenbotham/Dennis
21. White/Phipps
22. O'Connor/Lealiifano/McCabe
23. Beale/Mogg/Horne

In Deans' mind, the places he could put Folau would be 22 or 23.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeah but he's better kicker than me too - to be meaningful you'd have to mention someone who can actually kick

To state the bleeding obvious, Ioane is the first choice Wallabies kicker and can't kick at all. Granted, it's not a great idea to have two wingers who aren't great kickers, but clearly poor/average kicking is not a disqualification from being a Wallaby.

For the record, I'd have Mafi ahead of Folau at the moment.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I would like him to understand the technicalities of the game, the rules and to lower his error rate...
Super Rugby is a testing bed, but Test rugby is a different ball game, where one simple error can cost you the game. Currently Izzy makes too many of these 'simple errors'..
I agree - he particularly has issues manipulating and presenting the ball in the ruck area cleanly. But like I said he's got a good chunk of time left so we'll just have to wait and see.

I think if he does continue on this tangent and can carry this into the pre-tour Wallaby camp he has a solid shot at definite bench time and at least one start. It's got to be considered he has world class aerial skills (and we have a fly half who loves to, and is quite good at dropping a soft kick to the corner) and is also currently embarrassing defenders relatively regularly. If he can clean the little stuff up I don't see why not. He's a world class athlete with an attitude that our other young stars desperately need to be exposed to. If he can set the example and disrupt that culture I don't give a damn which code he came from.

Disclaimer: If his form suddenly dips or plateaus this obviously all goes out the window.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To state the bleeding obvious, Ioane is the first choice Wallabies kicker and can't kick at all. Granted, it's not a great idea to have two wingers who aren't great kickers, but clearly poor/average kicking is not a disqualification from being a Wallaby.

For the record, I'd have Mafi ahead of Folau at the moment.
I think we agree - I frankly do not see how a bloke with as much time in the game and time to practice has got such a poor kick: he could spend one of his afternoons when he usually gets inked practicing punts.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
So, knowing Deans and the options he has, I'd think he would select like this:​
1. Robinson​
2. Moore​
3. Palmer​
4. MMM​
5. Horwill​
6. Mowen​
7. Gill​
8. Palu​
9. Genia​
10. Cooper​
11. Ioane​
12. Tapuai​
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)​
14. Mitchell​
15. Barnes​
16. TPN/Fainga'a/Hanson​
17. Alexander​
18. Slipper/Ryan/Kepu​
19. Douglas/Timani/Simmons​
20. Higgenbotham/Dennis​
21. White/Phipps​
22. O'Connor/Lealiifano/McCabe​
23. Beale/Mogg/Horne​
In Deans' mind, the places he could put Folau would be 22 or 23.​

From what we Know of Deans I Fixed the team for You.

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Timani
5. Horwill
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Ant
14. Mitchell
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Alexander
18. Slipper
19. Simmons
20. Higgers
21. Phipps
22. O'Connor
23. Horne

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree - he particularly has issues manipulating and presenting the ball in the ruck area cleanly. But like I said he's got a good chunk of time left so we'll just have to wait and see.

I think this is an excellent point and one that is critical for Folau to learn. He is always going to be a challenge for his support players to keep up with because he breaks tackles and goes a couple of metres further than expected.

What he needs to learn is the middle ground between letting the ball going straight away and the defence pilfering it cleanly or holding on too long and giving away a penalty.

I feel there is that extra half a second or similar that can be gained by being seen to do something with the ball whilst on the ground. That is manipulating your body to place the ball further on your side or a quick roll etc. before placing the ball or letting go of it.

If you lie stationary and hold on for that extra half second you'll be penalised, but if you're doing something that involves some movemeny you are likely to a) get away with it, and b) make it harder for the defender to cleanly get their hands on the ball.

Giving your team that extra fraction of a second to get to the ruck to clear out and secure the ball is critical and can often be the difference between you losing the ball after a good run and getting front foot attacking ball for your team to capitalise on.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think we agree - I frankly do not see how a bloke with as much time in the game and time to practice has got such a poor kick: he could spend one of his afternoons when he usually gets inked practicing punts.

I think Izzy's kick isn't too bad. Sprays it a bit, but has distance at least. We'll see if it improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.