• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Why is too early for Lilo? He played well last night and has done all season, and last season until his injury.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not too early in terms of 12, but I think 10 is a different matter.

Being expected to control the game in your first international in a series that only comes once a year when you have been playing 12 all year is too much to ask in my opinion.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wouldn't make too many judgements on Lealiifano just yet - he played OK, put a beauty of a grubber through for Tomane and tackled well. He played good football at 10 last year prior to injury, has played good football this year at 12. A first outing with the 10/12 combo last night is just that, the first outing. Combos are important - ask Quade Cooper which 9 he wants next to him. I think it could gel, but they need to rethink the McCabe usage plan a bit to get some more variety.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the only thing you could say about Lealiifano last night is that he missed an opportunity to really press his cases to be the Wallaby 10 or 12.

I agree that he didn't go backwards much from the perspective that it was his first game at 10 for the season playing with McCabe who also had his first game for the season at 12 but he certainly didn't push himself forward.

Alexander certainly took some backwards steps with his poor discipline and a far from impressive performance in the scrum.

Dan Palmer was fairly ineffective and certainly the Brumbies scrum had an average night. It did get worse when Palmer came off which is one good sign for Palmer I guess.

Auelua did nothing for his chances with several turnovers and overall poor body height. His forward pack got smashed and arguably he needed to be the one to put his team on the front foot.

Mowen was reasonable but probably should have come off injured earlier. He was pretty ineffective for a fair amount of the match. Nowhere near the dominant displays he has put together so far this season.

Tomane was the only Wallaby candidate who really had a strong game and probably pushed his name a couple of rungs up the potential Wallaby winger ladder.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i didnt think aulua played that badly. I just think when you have been serving such high calibre performances and then turn in just a regular run of the mill game people think its just a bad day.

But for arguments sake lets say it was a bad game from him, the kings still needed 3 tacklers every time to bring him down........any player who can do that on an 'off day' would make my wallabies team

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From what we Know of Deans I Fixed the team for You.

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Timani
5. Horwill
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Ant
14. Mitchell
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Alexander
18. Slipper
19. Simmons
20. Higgers
21. Phipps
22. O'Connor
23. Horne

I don't like it at all, but I really think you have nailed it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree.

I think the most likely backline if Barnes regains fitness and is in decent form before the series is:

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

If we play three reserves I think we'll be looking at
White/Phipps (hopefully White)
Lealiifano/Beale (hopefully Lealo given Beale's indiscretions)
Mitchell/Mogg/Folau

I don't think we're going to go back to McCabe and I think Deans will be happy with the re-development of the Genia/Cooper combination at the Reds.

Eternity

Stan Wickham (3)
Well, after the Kings game, I think it's exceedingly obvious that it doesn't matter who you have at 10 if you have a 12 that doesn't offer an ounce of creativity. The Brumbies looked as one-dimensional as the Wallabies in attack, and I think the reasons for that are clear. Cooper or To'omua or Lealiifano at 10 are all fine, but we need a player such as Taps, Godwin or Lealiifano at 12 as well. McCabe already has 19 caps too many.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Partially that may be true, Eternity, but the Brumbies forwards were dominated, particularly in the second half, so it's not like the backs had much space or momentum to work with.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I like McCabe as a player, and he seems like a good team man, but we cannot beat the Lions with him at 12. We need good defense, for sure, and steadiness, but we also need some creativity. We will need all the creativity we can get, actually, we will not get many chances, and we must take them all.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Put my thoughts about McCabe and Lilo in the game read. Essentially i don't want either in those positions for the Wallabies. Lilo maybe on the EOYT but no way for the Lions.

Palmer is good at the set piece but not better that i would select him above the other options. Don't think he got over the advantage line once. Slipper would be my 3 with Moore and Robinson.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I disagree.

I think the most likely backline if Barnes regains fitness and is in decent form before the series is:

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Barnes

If we play three reserves I think we'll be looking at
White/Phipps (hopefully White)
Lealiifano/Beale (hopefully Lealo given Beale's indiscretions)
Mitchell/Mogg/Folau

I don't think we're going to go back to McCabe and I think Deans will be happy with the re-development of the Genia/Cooper combination at the Reds.
the backline i would like to see form and fitness permitting

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Leallifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Mogg (Beale if he is playing again)

White, Tapuai, McCabe

this give lots of versatility and attacking ability without compromising defence.

i doubt very very much that this will be the team however

Eternity

Stan Wickham (3)
the backline i would like to see form and fitness permitting

That's close to what I'd have, but I can't see what McCabe would offer from the bench. I'd prefer:

Cooper
Genia
Ioane
Tapuai
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Mogg

White, Lealiifano, Tomane

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
That's close to what I'd have, but I can't see what McCabe would offer from the bench.

deans is a big fan and will try to get him in somewhere. my thought was that he could offer wing, centre, fullback but more importantly could come on with the team in a winning position and close down a game, both offensively and in defence, similar to that which ant finger has done successfully for both the reds and the wobs in the past.

this makes the massive assumption that deans will use the bench in an intelligent fashion.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I like McCabe as a player, and he seems like a good team man, but we cannot beat the Lions with him at 12. We need good defense, for sure, and steadiness, but we also need some creativity. We will need all the creativity we can get, actually, we will not get many chances, and we must take them all.

Yep, we won't beat the Lions by playing conservatively or a pressure game. We have to play a game they're not used to, one which is suited to our conditions. That means fast paced and attacking at the breakdown and in open play. We may still lose but at least we won't be playing into their hands.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
so at week 8 id suggest the following are pretty obvious
palmer> slipper
moore>tpn
mmm> higgenbotham
smith>gill and hooper combined
tapuai> mccabe
white> phipps

id also wanna see everyone on the left side starting (cept white for genia)

Status
Not open for further replies.