• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Shane Williams was good at scoring tries and getting run over the top of. I know who I'd rather have.
Williams is the record try scorer for Wales, and is third on the international list of leading Rugby union Test try scorers
2008 player of the year
scored 57 tries in 87 tests for wales
Williams is also Wales' record try scorer in Six Nations Championships with 22 and Wales' record try scorer in Rugby World Cups with 10. In addition, he has scored 6 tries for the Lions in tour games
won pro 12
won multiple six nations championships and even voted player of the tournament in 2008 i believe
and oconners won... nothing... yet
you wont win this one buddy-
in a few years you may prove to be right> but until then do yourself a favour and go watch some of shane williams' highlights on youtube

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Chasing down Bowe from the other side of the field is one of the most freakish things I've seen on the field.

Bowe had been injured leading up to the RWC and wasn't fully fit. He noticeably slowed down as he neared the line as his conditioning let him down.

Agree with posters that JOC (James O'Connor)'s exceptional footwork, balance and explosive acceleration is what distinguishes him. His top line speed was never up there with the genuine speedsters but he can foot it with anyone over the first 20-30 meters.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If O'Connor was facing the Scottish, Irish, French, Italian defenses in a round robin tournament as opposed to the Springboks and All Blacks every year I'm sure he would have scored plenty of tries too..just a thought.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
totally agree with you>
but even considering that- even if he could score more>
he hasnt yet, williams has actually done it

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
and williams wasnt shy on his tries against tri nations teams-
some of the best he's played has been against south africa
edit:wilson, rocockoco, cullen, lomu,habana, howlett, campese id rate above for sure but not many more

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yep, it is beyond doubt that Folau is now going to play in Gold.

His play has been outstanding!

Izzy is making attack look easy.

Against the Kings.

The Tahs still have the Stormers, Brumbies, Crusaders, Rebels and Reds to go.

Lets see how he goes against them.

He was fantastic tonight, but I thought Foley was MOM. Folau and Betham had so many linebreaks and tries, because Foley handed them to them on a silver platter with French strippers and 3 grams of charlie.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the backline will be:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

White
Mogg
Tapuai/Barnes

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Against the Kings.

The Tahs still have the Stormers, Brumbies, Crusaders, Rebels and Reds to go.

Lets see how he goes against them.

He was fantastic tonight, but I thought Foley was MOM. Folau and Betham had so many linebreaks and tries, because Foley handed them to them on a silver platter with French strippers and 3 grams of charlie.
Now that's a stat to have against your name!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the backline will be:

Genia
Beale
Ioane
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

White
Mogg
Tapuai/Barnes

On current form I can't really see Tapuai getting Gold this year.
Barnes will only score Gold on the back of reputation, and whatever gameplan Dingo has in mind.
Gilbert needs some more game time before I'd have him start at 10.
At the moment, QC (Quade Cooper) has a loose grip on the #10 jumper.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
Every side needs a Shane Williams, IRB Player Of The Year, awarded by people that actually played..
In my 40 years of playing and coaching I have never seen such a coming together of such talent as we could possibly have in the backs yet we have a Cantabrian conservative in charge.Makes we weep.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
This is the Wallabies team (Gameday 22 and reserves) that will beat the Lions (assuming all are healthy)

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Timani
5. Horwill (c)
6. Higginbotham
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Iaone
12. Lealiifano
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor
15. Mogg

16. Hanson
17. McMeniman
18. Palmer
19. Hooper
20. White
21. Beale
22. Folau

Alexander
Gill
Polota-Nau
Simmons
Auelua
Mitchell
Phipps
Barnes
McCabe

Fringe players who just barely missed out - Tomane, Mowen, Dennis, Pyle, To'omua, Tapuai

Overall there is a good balance of experience and new faces who are in form. And There is plenty of cover for 10, and enough big men to take on the Lions pack. I like McMeniman and Aulea to add some real mongrel to the team. Beale and Folau add some real spark of the bench.

I struggled to include Barnes and McCabe in the team, because I think they are rather one dimensional, but I know Deans will pick them anyway. And I could use another prop in the team.

Thoughts?

P

Paradox

They will not select him at fullback to start. You have to be able to kick in test rugby and his position play is still lacking. He'll be exposed at international level there. Good chance to start on wing though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's been nothing wrong with his positional play the last month. He hasn't been exploited at all. He's learning extremely fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.