• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
so with all this talk about the scrum, and considering slipper was voted on foxsports to start against the lions>
how confident are we hes not gunna get smashed in the scrum?
i think hes considerably weaker compared to other options but cant wait to hear the reasons why hes not and how what he brings around the park makes up for us giving away penalties, penalty tries and having himself sent off when we cant hold up the lions scrum 3 times on our line

madflyhalf

Stan Wickham (3)
Until he'll prove he can defend in n.10 spot, I think Cooper deserves to stay on the bench, with JOC (James O'Connor) taking fly-half duties.

If so, IMO you can put Folau or Barnes at full back (dipends on the game risks you want to play), and welcoming back The Honey Badger and his mad eyes, him and Ioane on the wing.

I'd go with

9 Genia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Ioane
12 Tapuai
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Cummins
15 Folau/Barnes

Will Burgess be available for the B&I Lions?? It would be great!

21 Burgess/Phipps 22 Cooper 23 Barnes/Folau

I'm still going with Phipps, he's not a monster, but he tackles and runs well, Nic White is a good kicking 9, but also during this season he often became a black hole for the game when starting to miss kicks.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh it would be handy to have Burgess available for selection.

It'll be interesting to see what the halfback pecking order will be come the next world cup.McKibbin, Phipps, Burgess and White could all be options.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Love the Honey Badger. personally i wouldn't have him in my 23, but id have no difficulties with him being selected if that's the way the selectors go. The guy plays with real passion and you know he'll play above himself in a gold jersey

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Until he'll prove he can defend in n.10 spot, I think Cooper deserves to stay on the bench, with JOC (James O'Connor) taking fly-half.
Read an interesting write up about QC (Quade Cooper) not defending at 10.
Someone else tackles, Gill pilfers and you have QC (Quade Cooper) coming straight into first receiver for a counter attack.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yes, the reasons that Cooper doesn't defend at 10 for the Reds are very well documented. But he will need to defend in the line at test level. The problem with the way the Reds use him is that he doesn't have the opportunity to show whether he can defend well in the line now -- maybe he can, maybe he can't. Who the hell knows?

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All it would take is a serious contamination at the Four 'N Twenty Pie Factory.

Not even in jest. GG would be the first down and how could we go on without his brand of gutter journalism, unsourced gossip and tawdry innuendo?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think he has clearly proven his defense has improved markedly this year. Some great front on try savers against both forwards and backs with very little misses.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
so with all this talk about the scrum, and considering slipper was voted on foxsports to start against the lions>
how confident are we hes not gunna get smashed in the scrum?
i think hes considerably weaker compared to other options but cant wait to hear the reasons why hes not and how what he brings around the park makes up for us giving away penalties, penalty tries and having himself sent off when we cant hold up the lions scrum 3 times on our line

What gives you the impression that Slipper is 'considerably weaker' in the scrum? What evidence is that based on?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
What gives you the impression that Slipper is 'considerably weaker' in the scrum? What evidence is that based on?
this is based on me watching him getting crushed in previous tests hes played for the wallabies>
dont ask me to name every test its happened, but i know from watching when hes played our scrum is weak
maybe in a few years he'll be strong there> but i dont see it now> and despite what he can do round the park i dont think itll matter if our scrum is going backwards
but please- correct me- point out to me the times when he has dominated a scrum the likes of which we are going to face against the lions> im not being smart> i just genuinely fear that the lions is going to be stronger than anything he'll face in s15>

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes, the reasons that Cooper doesn't defend at 10 for the Reds are very well documented. But he will need to defend in the line at test level. The problem with the way the Reds use him is that he doesn't have the opportunity to show whether he can defend well in the line now -- maybe he can, maybe he can't. Who the hell knows?
How do you know he moves to a different position because he cannot defend? 45 percent of tries come from the defense which forced the other team to kick or by a turn over. For that to happen you need to quickly be in a position to attack whilst the other team is disorganized. The ability of your back 3 is crucial for counter attack. For it to be effective you need your quickest men in the best ball carrying positions and that is where there is space or a mismatch. Maybe Reds do it as a attacking option

madflyhalf

Stan Wickham (3)
Why Burgess? White is clearly the 2nd best 9 in Australia.

I think Burgess is the best one to keep the pace up in the latter stage of a match, as well as he did in 2010 and 2011 when Dingo realised he had players on the bench.

Genia uses to slow down too often IMO, England suffered Burgess in June 2010, he is a pitbull.

Why Phipps and not White?
Apart the experience at test level, I think White is too much one dimensional, as I said before Phipps runs and tackle better than him, their passing are both ordinary, and when White sticks with his kicks the outside half take cold and dust.

IMO many times this year the Brumbies spoiled more than a couple of bonus point try due to Nic White tactical kicking and his inability to vary the game, forgettin Jake White's gameplan.

And Phipps is playing quite good now, as he did in EOYT...

How do you know he moves to a different position because he cannot defend? 45 percent of tries come from the defense which forced the other team to kick or by a turn over. For that to happen you need to quickly be in a position to attack whilst the other team is disorganized. The ability of your back 3 is crucial for counter attack. For it to be effective you need your quickest men in the best ball carrying positions and that is where there is space or a mismatch. Maybe Reds do it as a attacking option

And that's why Dingo wants a playmaker in n.15 jersey (as the All Blacks do)... And I think this is the most important question to Folau selection in that position...

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think whites got a much better pass than phipps> theres a reason the brumbies attack is slick and the rebels 10 stalls before an attack can begin>
nic whites distance kicking is fantastic> it adds so much to the brumbies when he can kick as far as he can from the back of a scrum
i would only have burgess in there if white goes down>> dunno how burgess plans on getting noticed unless hes gunna play club and quicksmart>> hes got noone to blame but himself thou> he chose to go overseas
i wouldnt put it past the lions to try injure genia thou> it can be done legally and they know the impact itll have on our game

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Until he'll prove he can defend in n.10 spot, I think Cooper deserves to stay on the bench, with JOC (James O'Connor) taking fly-half duties.

If so, IMO you can put Folau or Barnes at full back (dipends on the game risks you want to play), and welcoming back The Honey Badger and his mad eyes, him and Ioane on the wing.

I'd go with

9 Genia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Ioane
12 Tapuai
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Cummins
15 Folau/Barnes

Will Burgess be available for the B&I Lions?? It would be great!

21 Burgess/Phipps 22 Cooper 23 Barnes/Folau

I'm still going with Phipps, he's not a monster, but he tackles and runs well, Nic White is a good kicking 9, but also during this season he often became a black hole for the game when starting to miss kicks.
Shoot me if we have Phipps and JOC (James O'Connor) directing a test match. How utterly dreadful and headless our attack would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.