• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I just did Vaea and it shows he has ZERO lineout takes! Is that true? For reference, Skelton has 17.

I think that rules out Vaea regardless of any other stats - especially with Skelton in the team.

Sounds right to me. Brums got Fardy, Carter and Arnold as jumpers. Rare moments they've thrown to Pocock, maybe even Butler has taken one or two. Means Vaea is no better then 4th jumper, but most like 5th behind the openside.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great site for stats Thanks! Palu's figures are not flattering. You couldn't have him there over Higgers if you worked off those stats!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All these stats are on the SANZAR web site. Piece of piss to find and compare all the players you want (2 at a time though, ok Noah?)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't want to harp on Fardy, and will preface this by saying he's a class player, will be in the squad etc etc etc

But only 3 defenders beaten is a damning statistic considering we need our 6 to be a front-line ball runner. Just backs up my impression that he isn't doing enough with ball in hand.

You cannot play Fardy with Pocock - that would be suicide. Some of these players have to be paired together. Hooper + Fardy. Pocock + Higginbotham.

T

Train Without a Station

Despite how lauded the Reds' scrum is, apparently their scrum success is 13th in the competition. Followed by the Brumbies then the Cheetahs.

Though the Reds' lineout is second to only one team, the Brumbies. Which is a bit weird. Obviously scrum strength doesn't translate to lineout success.

Consider that Holmes and Simmons missed something like the first 6 games and the scrum strengthened significantly when they came back.

I believe in at least one game or more games the Tight 5 was Slipper, Fainga'a, Talakai, McDuling and Kotze.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Despite how lauded the Reds' scrum is, apparently their scrum success is 13th in the competition. Followed by the Brumbies then the Cheetahs.

Though the Reds' lineout is second to only one team, the Brumbies. Which is a bit weird. Obviously scrum strength doesn't translate to lineout success.

You need to be careful using overall scrum stats for each Super Rugby team. The Reds tend to struggle a bit when their reserves come on (moreso in some games than others). All we're really interested in is from a Wallaby perspective is how they perform with Slipper and Holmes on the field.

The Brumbies also tend to get pasted when the Smiths are on (and have also missed Sio for a large part of the year).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Consider that Holmes and Simmons missed something like the first 6 games and the scrum strengthened significantly when they came back.

I believe in at least one game or more games the Tight 5 was Slipper, Fainga'a, Talakai, McDuling and Kotze.

Yep solid point, forgot about that. Be interesting to see the stats across the season and see if there's a dramatic improvement when they came back.

In a separate point, Warren Whitley is an absolute animal. He's topped the tackle count at 231 for the season and has the highest completion rate (I've seen so far) at 97.1 percent.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies stats with Fardy and Pocock.

OrquXBP.png
EwQkoSN.png
aT9TfBI.png
q7cmJvX.png

Cheika can't work with that, he needs his backrow being strong attackers.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You need to be careful using overall scrum stats for each Super Rugby team. The Reds tend to struggle a bit when their reserves come on (moreso in some games than others). All we're really interested in is from a Wallaby perspective is how they perform with Slipper and Holmes on the field.

Do they take into account Penalties won as success?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't want to harp on Fardy, and will preface this by saying he's a class player, will be in the squad etc etc etc

But only 3 defenders beaten is a damning statistic considering we need our 6 to be a front-line ball runner. Just backs up my impression that he isn't doing enough with ball in hand.

I think if Fardy was playing in the Tahs/Cheika structures his run metres would be far more impressive

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In Fardy's defence, he's never been great on the stats but his impact at Test level is superb. I doubt McMahon's stats will translate to Test level - especially run metres.

Although 10 turnovers conceded is a worry from Fardy, seems quite high.

You also have to consider that his form at test level (like any player) also changes. He wasn't nearly as good for the Wallabies in 2014 as he was in 2013. You would probably also say the same about his Super Rugby form.

Yep this is my back-row, if you add in guys like Skelton it gives the Wallabies the physicality and size to compete at the ruck and maul that we haven't had in recent years.

Up until a few weeks ago I didn't even have Higginbotham in my predicted RWC squad and certainly wouldn't have had him in a matchday 23. I think his form lately has been sublime though and I think he's best suited to 6 at test level which is where I'd like to see him played.

Likewise I stuck with Hooper until a few weeks ago but now think Pocock's form is too hard to ignore.

My bench would include Jones and Hooper. The idea would be to finish with Jones at lock, Hooper at 6 and Higgers at 8.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You cannot play Fardy with Pocock - that would be suicide. Some of these players have to be paired together. Hooper + Fardy. Pocock + Higginbotham.

Fardy/ Hooper and Higginbothom / Pocock certainly offer more balance when playing their natural games but to say it is suicide is a bit far fetched. They are all very adaptable players.

T

Train Without a Station

Yep solid point, forgot about that. Be interesting to see the stats across the season and see if there's a dramatic improvement when they came back.

Holmes first game was against the Lions. They had the ascendancy in the first half without destroying us. The first scrum Holmes packed when he came on the Reds won a penalty try against the feed.

The reserves struggled a fair bit against the Tahs with Holmes, Simmo and Horwill out and I think they were all out the second Brumbies game also we where we were bested.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Brumbies stats with Fardy and Pocock.

Cheika can't work with that, he needs his backrow being strong attackers.

Now pick the numbers that go towards their cause. With 290 Less carries the other numbers will be affected. They play a different game plan to the Waratahs so the stats you picked don't tell you anything about the player itself. Those numbers here in Super rugby really don't count towards test level anyway with better quality defences and tighter play by most teams. Cheika will need to work with Pocock if he wants to win the WC.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't even know what turnovers conceded mean either, anyone know for sure? I'm assuming it's basically just knock ons/errors. Do they factor in penalties conceded too?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think if Fardy was playing in the Tahs/Cheika structures his run metres would be far more impressive

That's fair enough, though still only beating 3 defenders in 84 runs is below where you'd like it to be for a test 6. We desperately need that dynamic edge he provided in 2013.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Putting my Scotland cap on, I'd much prefer to play against a backrow of Fardy, Hooper and McCalman rather than Higgenbotham, Pocock and Palu.

From a Canary POV though, it's difficult to remove Fardy and Hooper from the flanker spots. They're the incumbents, have been playing to a high standard, albeit not at their absolute best, and they complement each other and the obvious second row quite well.

A nice problem for Mr Cheika to have, but not one I envy solving.

Status
Not open for further replies.