• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the third hooker option is like all insurance, its only handy/cost effective when you need it and really devastating when you don't have it. very few people go without insurance when they can afford it, one less winger and one more hooker seems a more sensible option to me.

T

TOCC

Well, Tony Smith must be practicing his line-out throws in case he has to fill in as reserve hooker.

Unless they get a prop to scrimmage at hooker and then someone else in the forward pack can throw??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
In my opinion "cleanouts" is exactly why Douglas is considered. He is not a great set piece lock, no. But he enabled the Tahs to keep possession and get quick recycle in 2014, something they didn't manage without him. Chieka has quoted that the Tahs in 2015 would not have someone who can do Douglas did at the required workrate. That's why Chieka wants him, somehow he helps the Chieka gameplan.

From memory, I could be wrong, Mumm was Tahs lineout caller even when Mowen was there, and certainly ahead of Dennis. Simmons, Mumm, and Fardy will be the Lineout callers.

OK, if that rationale is accepted as accurate and valid, KD has to:

- translate 2014 S15 form to 2015 Tests/RWC (not yet proven by a long chalk, but let's hope I guess) and

- he has to re-find that 2014 form in that (a) he's since incurred a serious injury and he's not long back from repair and (b) by all accounts his NH form in a team way beneath Test level was ordinary/poor.

There are some key risks here, by any standard.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As a Rebels fan I am pleased to see Toby Smith and Sean McMahon make the squad, but thought Cheika would have given them (especially the un-capped Smith) a run in the Rugby Championship. No doubt they will both get a run on in Chicago. Perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Just found this from the 2011 squads.

I've been trying to find the actual RWC rules around replacements (not just opinions on them) and can't. The RQC tournament rules on the website only mention forfeiting games etc. Anyone know where to find this?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Further to that qwerty, when Umaga went down injured in 2003 against Italy, the ABs had Norm Maxwell relaxing on Manly beach ready to step into the squad should a decision be made to officially rule him out. He was never ruled out, but that is another story.

From what I recall, the thinking behind bringing Maxwell in was to cover for Brad Thorn, who there was some doubt over.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The third hooker is obviously a base they have covered..someone within the squad must be pencilled in to play there if necessary. I suspect it's either Smith or Sio.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
There are some key risks here, by any standard.

For sure. I think, like the Bled 2, Chieka realises he's up against it (Pool of Death, in England, 7 months to prepare, didn't select his EYOT squad) and is putting his eggs in one basket. Only explanation of not taking a 3rd hooker.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
If that is the case KOB then that's fine. If he can be aback up option for a pool game or two then I don't see an issue with it. Same as Giteau.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The third hooker is obviously a base they have covered..someone within the squad must be pencilled in to play there if necessary. I suspect it's either Smith or Sio.

and also hookers to have no contact training from 3 days prior to start of tournament until our departure

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Just trying to let this sink in.

Without a doubt the biggest shock is only 2 hookers. This is a huge risk in order to allow a 6th backrower or 5th winger. I just can't make any sense of it at all.

Firstly, in most games, Beale is going to be the outside back reserve, so even a 3rd winger is merely squad cover. One of Horne/Speight/Tomane is just excess baggage which would be far better deployed as a backup hooker.
Secondly, how does McMahon fit? McCalman can cover openside as a last resort. I can't see him ever playing. Again, a 3rd hooker seems way more important.

Thirdly, as I understand it if Moore cops a head knock and misses a game against Fiji, he's out for the tournament, and with him any Cup hopes we may have had, in order to cater for a 5th winger or 6th backrower who won't play anyway.

The other less important surprise omissions were White and Horwill.

White missing out is a shock but not a huge one in hindsight. He's clearly looking for a state halves combo that already works. So it will be either Genia and Cooper or Phipps and Foley, not a mix. White doesn't fit with that. Also Giteau has covered halfback adequately enough to provide a potential 6-2 bench play and negate the need for a 3rd in the squad. Not my preference but at least understandable.

Douglas over Horwill is surprising due to his limited game time, but not a call that worries me.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just trying to let this sink in.

Without a doubt the biggest shock is only 2 hookers. This is a huge risk in order to allow a 6th backrower or 5th winger. I just can't make any sense of it at all.

Firstly, in most games, Beale is going to be the outside back reserve, so even a 3rd winger is merely squad cover. One of Horne/Speight/Tomane is just excess baggage which would be far better deployed as a backup hooker.
Secondly, how does McMahon fit? McCalman can cover openside as a last resort. I can't see him ever playing. Again, a 3rd hooker seems way more important.

Thirdly, as I understand it if Moore cops a head knock and misses a game against Fiji, he's out for the tournament, and with him any Cup hopes we may have had, in order to cater for a 5th winger or 6th backrower who won't play anyway.

The other less important surprise omissions were White and Horwill.

White missing out is a shock but not a huge one in hindsight. He's clearly looking for a state halves combo that already works. So it will be either Genia and Cooper or Phipps and Foley, not a mix. White doesn't fit with that. Also Giteau has covered halfback adequately enough to provide a potential 6-2 bench play and negate the need for a 3rd in the squad. Not my preference but at least understandable.

Douglas over Horwill is surprising due to his limited game time, but not a call that worries me.

The problem with your state based halves combo, is our best 10 so fair has been To'omua.. albit his been deployed there as a game changer.

I first over the initial shock and some of my miss givings but Im now into it, we have picked a squad the coaches (Not just Cheika.. Larkham, Grey and the Argie bloke). They have won 3 out of 4 and only lost at Eden Park (like everyone else).

Just to give some perspective though, here's the first post of this thread 2/3 years or so ago..

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
McMenniman
Pocock
Higginsbotham
Ginea
Cooper
Spleigh
To'omua
Feauai-Sautia
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

Bench
Tatafu Polota Nau
Robinson
Ryan
Horwell
Hooper
Beale
Godwin
Cummins

All I can say is, CARN Wallabies. we should be now looking at how we will beat the others and not who missed out..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fuck some of that above was in Japanish.. I was just trying to say.. Let's get behind the team and bring back Bill

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It appears Cheika has basically picked two XVs plus an extra prop. Some internal practice matches going on

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Skelton
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Ashley-Cooper
12. Giteau